Can Latrell Williams contribute this year?

What's the WR stance? I've seen other posters mention it too. It doesn't look unusual to me.

It's fairly unusual, to say the least. Weird crouch that seems to impede their release off the line of scrimmage. There was plenty of discussion about it last year. Once Butch took over the receivers midseason it appears to have died down a great deal. It was a "hot-button" topic for sure.

Reactions: 2 people
Plan A: red shirt

Plan B: beast mode all year long

Jump higher Vols.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but that does not look like any 3-star recruit highlight vid I've ever seen. I see a stud athlete who has great instincts for finding a line through the defense, can make people miss, can get open and adjust to the ball in the air as a receiver and who has blazing fast speed.

With all of those qualities, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if he sees the field as a true freshman.

This kid looks like living proof the star system is flawed. Some journalists who contribute to it get enamored with players based on a single game. Some of the under rated guys, I believe, do not suck up to them or won't give them an interview, and their star rating does not go up for it. In fact, I think that happens every year. That is why coaches send out their own scouts to get a true evaluation of a player, and why I like to give star gazers hell.

Williams is one I will be watching for. He does seem to have loads of natural talent, and good instincts. He is one of my favorites in this class. I think he will push the entire receiving group to work harder.

Even if he makes it on the field next season, his YAC will depend on if Dobbs can lead him the ball effectively.

Not saying it's all on Dobbs shoulders if he will succeed, simply stating that it could take Latrell from good to special in our offense.

Hit this WR in stride and watch him go.

I personally can't figure out why he isn't rated much higher than he is. Of course the coaches and scouting agencies have more film than we do, but I suspect that because he didn't do much his junior year, the scouting agencies never picked up on him until the end of his senior year and by then it was hard to try and figure out exactly where he fit in the rankings as a whole. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a household name in TN by the time he leaves here.

This seems like a common theme. The star ratings are based more Junior seasons. Once the Senior season rolls around, the prospects are already knee-deep in recruiting, and the recruiting services just don't seem to adjust much. They focus their scouting resources on rating the next class of Juniors instead.

I do think this is a major reason why we're seeing so much "re-evaluation" from November thru February by the coaching staffs. A 4-star guy may turn into a 3-star to them and vice-verse, but the recruiting services very rarely bother to change their outlook.

Latrell and Nathan Niehaus both seem like they really improved significantly in their Senior campaigns and the recruiting services missed it.

Josh Smith, William, and Vincent Perry in the slot? We're just fine. I cant wait to see this kid flashing around the field.

From that highlight video , there is no such thing as having an angle on him... He fast

It's fairly unusual, to say the least. Weird crouch that seems to impede their release off the line of scrimmage. There was plenty of discussion about it last year. Once Butch took over the receivers midseason it appears to have died down a great deal. It was a "hot-button" topic for sure.

I don't understand how a crouch slows them off the line. Doesn't lower = more push?

Reactions: 1 person
It really all depends on him.

How fast can he acclimate to college classes, ect and have extra time to learn the playbook?

He's obviously a playmaker and fast but he must know the playbook well before he'll get playing time.

He's fast but so are lots of guys in college football so we'll see how fast he can translate his game to the college level.

I think he's very underrated.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

I really hope this kid makes it on the field some this year. I'm excited to see him and George and hopefully Dobbs can get the ball to them.

It really all depends on him.

How fast can he acclimate to college classes, ect and have extra time to learn the playbook?

He's obviously a playmaker and fast but he must know the playbook well before he'll get playing time.

He's fast but so are lots of guys in college football so we'll see how fast he can translate his game to the college level.

I think he's very underrated.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

you make some good points. What is your definition of fast though? A lot of guys that are considered fast in college run in the 4.5-4.7 range. 4.3-4.45 or below is elite speed, and that is extremely hard to defend in space. You can't teach a guy to run a 4.3, that is God given ability. Latrell's speed will translate to college.

Last edited:
Josh Smith, William, and Vincent Perry in the slot? We're just fine. I cant wait to see this kid flashing around the field.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kamara in the slot quit a bit in addition to his time at RB. No inside info, just a guess so TIFWIW.

As for Williams, he definitely seems to have the jets vs. some good Florida competition. Looked good catching the ball to me as well.

Last edited:
This kid looks like living proof the star system is flawed. Some journalists who contribute to it get enamored with players based on a single game. Some of the under rated guys, I believe, do not suck up to them or won't give them an interview, and their star rating does not go up for it. In fact, I think that happens every year. That is why coaches send out their own scouts to get a true evaluation of a player, and why I like to give star gazers hell.

Williams is one I will be watching for. He does seem to have loads of natural talent, and good instincts. He is one of my favorites in this class. I think he will push the entire receiving group to work harder.
All we are seeing is highlights edited to present the player in the best possible light.

I can't recall many tapes where a player looked bad.

Barton Simmons said Latrell Williams might be one of the most important members and steals of the class.

Just curious what some of you think about this kid. For the star gazers, he was only a three star.

Opinions on whether he's someone that can get on the field this year and help right away?

Who needs Rivals (2star), ESPN (4 star) loves Latrell

The evaluation / stars discrepancy between services is more a nuisance to fans, coaches rely primarily on their own player evaluations

On whether or not he contributes immediately, imo he would be better served to RS but circumstances may dictate otherwise

My thoughts on the star system are its decent for rating super talented players but misses sometimes and when it comes to others it misses very frequently and looks over tons of player in both basketball and football.

VN Store

Back