Can Milton win the Heisman?

Hendon was within the sniff pre injury of course.

The biggest difference would be overall QBR and low ints that Joe would have a hard time achieving like HH did.

View attachment 534433
That was kinda my point. Hooker wasn't even a finalist with those numbers. Maybe "won't sniff" is exagerating, but he won't win with those numbers.
Also look at ints. Can Milton go all season with very few ints like Hooker? He has done a great job in limited action but we'll see after a full season.

I think Milton will be really good with Heupel, but Heisman? Needs phenomianl stats and big wins.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
he for sure can.. do I think he will ? no chance unless Joe goes out there and just lights it up.
Maybe they say "we screwed hendon last year"?

It’s amazing that we’ve gone from him being absolutely awful in his first couple of games last season, to now even having this as a thought. He’s always had the skills to do it, but Heupel and staff have done an amazing job calming him down. I was super impressed with him the last two games of the year. I’m on the Joe train big time!

What impressed you about Joe in the Vandy game?

I think that Milton has the tools but if it's clear he struggles with those throws in the 20-30 yard range--those passes that need the touch that he just hasn't shown. Once he can rip it deep and the receivers can run and get it, with as far as he can throw it, he seems good. I also like what I see in the quick slants over the middle, and dumping the ball off on screens.

Now, why I don't think he'll win the Heisman is because this coaching staff is going to have to cater the play calling to those strengths (assuming he can't fix those touch issues). Minus the long balls, I don't think he's going to be "flashy" enough to get into the Heisman convo. I think we're going to see a lot of screens, a lot of quick outs and slants--all setting up the occasional deep ball. And when he's not doing that, I think we're calling a lot of draws right up the gut. Let's not forget that Joe is 6'5" 245lbs. Dude is a TANK and can pick up 5-6 yards per carry with ease. Where Hendon Hooker can escape the pocket with finesse and pick up big chunks of yards, I think runs by Joe are going to be more by design. We've seen him get panicked and scramble, and I don't think he's as good when he does that.

But hey, if he can fix those touch issues and they can expand the playbook, I think he's one of the best in the game next year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I mean realistically, to win the Heisman Joe is not going to have to leave the Heisman committee any options.

Basically, he's gonna have to turn in a Cam Newton 2010 season.

Is it possible? Oh hell yes.

Likely? Well that is the question isn't it?

While I made my wisecracks about Milton after the 21 Ole Miss game, I have come to respect him greatly. Both as a person as well as to what he has given to the Vols as a whole.

In the end though, how Milton does this year is gonna be determined by Joe. The dude has every single physical aspect you can dream of for a QB.

I sincerely hope that the man leaves our jaws on the floor multiple times this season in shear awe of what we have just witnessed.
I like this take. If he can process as fast as Hooker and use his legs more, I see 8/9 wins.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Joe Milton is the subject of episode 12 of the Vol Club Confidential podcast with Austin Price on the Volquest You Tube channel which dropped today.

Reactions: BADGER_VOL
We have to have one if not the toughest schedules next year. So even 1 or 2 losses in todays age of football puts a top player on the outside looking in on their Heisman chances. So I’d say he gets invited but I don’t think he wins. And we can’t have another USCjr type game next year or he will get the same treatment as Hooker. Just the way it is unfortunately. Best player doesn’t always win .

Joe obviously has all the physical tools to make every throw on the field. We saw his improved development in the Orange Bowl. He is in the greatest offense in college football.

What kind of numbers and how far does this team have to go to get Milton #1 on those ballots?

I say we need to make the SEC championship game, be in the top 3, and he needs to hit 4,000 with 35+tds before the Championship game. My understanding is that the ballots are cast before conference championships, so he needs to hit those numbers in 12 games. That would average out to 334 ypg and 3 tds.

You might say those are high standards compared to some past winners, but we know the Heisman voters never want a UT guy to make it, so Milton needs to be that much better than the competition. It would help for Caleb Williams to lose a game or two mid season to slow his momentum. The good news is uga won’t have a walkon starting next year so they won’t get the feel-good-story vote for a mediocre qb. Heup just needs to keep Milton in the games long enough to hit those numbers when we’re rolling other teams.

What do y’all think? What’s Milton’s path to the Heisman?

You do realize that Tennessee is eternally damned to runner-up at best.

F the powers that be and F ESPN.

Joe obviously has all the physical tools to make every throw on the field. We saw his improved development in the Orange Bowl. He is in the greatest offense in college football.

What kind of numbers and how far does this team have to go to get Milton #1 on those ballots?

I say we need to make the SEC championship game, be in the top 3, and he needs to hit 4,000 with 35+tds before the Championship game. My understanding is that the ballots are cast before conference championships, so he needs to hit those numbers in 12 games. That would average out to 334 ypg and 3 tds.

You might say those are high standards compared to some past winners, but we know the Heisman voters never want a UT guy to make it, so Milton needs to be that much better than the competition. It would help for Caleb Williams to lose a game or two mid season to slow his momentum. The good news is uga won’t have a walkon starting next year so they won’t get the feel-good-story vote for a mediocre qb. Heup just needs to keep Milton in the games long enough to hit those numbers when we’re rolling other teams.

Hooker couldn"t even get invited to New York to be in the final. But a guy like Bennett did. I think the writers have it in for Tennessee and no i do not believe Milton has a chance at the Heisman.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I thought he did a good job of controlling the game to a 56-0 win. Had a TD, no picks in awful weather. Trust me, I was there

His passing, other than an early throw to Hyatt, was awful.
I’ll take your word that the weather was that bad.
Thankfully the defense had a shutout and the running game took over in second half.

Reactions: SDV
we could go 15-0 Joe could have 72 TD to 0 INT and have 12,000 yds and he would still not win the heisTman.

If Heisman voters never want a UT guy to make it, then You've answered Your question.

Puttin the horse before the cart ain’t ya?? !! Here’s a better one will Milton be starter after first four games?? I hope he has a great yr and that Tennessee does well. But with schedule don’t know bout another 10 win regular season.. GBO

Not possible. He plays for UT. Except for that , he'd have a good shot. May get a mention after beating UGA, Bama and UF, but unfortunately he will throw an incompletion against Vandy and this will allow the OSU QB to get the nod. His name? Doesn't matter, he is at OSU.

Stupid award. Individual award requires TEAM to be dominant or INDIVIDUAL has no chance. We dominate and that demands JM is extremely effective, thus a stupid award front runner.

VN Store

Back