Can we hire Derek Mason?

We may get a change with Martinez, but I’m not convinced on Banks. From my understanding he has been very involved with DB personnel decisions and player development particularly at safety. If so, he is not the answer. There were multiple occasions when Missouri players were running free with no one around them. We don’t play either man or zone coverage well and haven’t for 3 years.
The problem is multifaceted. First and foremost, the level of competition has risen from the early season. Second, we've become very passive. We're not getting home due to that plus being held. That's not an excuse because it's happening everywhere. Banks hasn't adjusted and gone back to being aggressive and creative when rushing 3-4 wasn't working as well. We're best when he dials up packages and really heats up the qb while getting the DB's up close and playing man/press. It's a roll of the dice as to whether or not the pressure gets to the qb, but it forces quicker decisions and takes stress off the secondary. By playing this soft zone, we're simply sitting back and letting the opposing qb pick the space he wants to exploit. We just don't have the talent on the back end to deal with that. We're letting offenses dictate to us instead of vice versa. All I know is that you see a kid....ONE player...rack up over 300 yards by himself and you don't see a need for changes, then you won't see losing your job coming either.

My understanding is Martinez’s contract is up this year so we may see a change there. Banks I doubt

On field coaches aren’t the problem. Though I would like to see our coaching staff be larger overall with more proven people rather than us creating our on field coaches from interns and grad assistants. I’m all for hiring fired head coaches and coordinators as quality control guys and recruiters (win win they get their buyout money and we get their talent at a discount).

Also: Transfer portal. Transfer portal. Transfer portal.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I'm not so sure we are significantly improved. Rush defense is better but pass defense is atrocious. And in big games, rush defense hasn't been great really. Not a big fan of his schemes at all. And Martinez needs to be gone, like yesterday.
This times a million. The RUSH D is because of RG, NOT TIM BANKS! It is time for TB to goo with WM!!!

Jesus dude. The offense did nothing.
The Defense was on the field for 40 minutes. To the offenses 20.
The offense turned it over 3 times.

The Defense gave up a lot of everything except points in the first half.
They surely weren’t good but Jesus man did you watch the game??
They only had 22 after 3.

If the offense did anything, anything at all it’s within 1 score at worst.

I’m surprised the Defense was still standing in the 4th.
I owe you an apology GVOL1966. I am sorry for my rant against you. Myself and others shouldn't come on the board pissed with a chip on their shoulders and bash people. Again, I am sorry. Please accept my apologies. If I am blocked from GVOL1966, MODS PLEASE BE SURE GVOL1966 SEES THIS MESSAGE! THANKS MODS!

GVOL1966, I still disagree though. Yes, the O play was terrible. But, it is time the D gets off the field to give the O the ball more time with it as well as play much more soundly in the secondary and upfront against very good SEC teams, not mediocre ones! I don't think Joe has it between the ears. Joe can't make touch passes or throw well over the middle of the field nor deep! I also believe the OL may have been overrated and can't run block as well agains very good D fronts. But, our D PLAY WAS ATROCIOUS YESTERDAY, PERIOD!

By the way, If the 1966 is the year you were born, I was too. 57 year olds shouldn't act like the teenagers like we did last night. Older people on this board need to set a better example for the younger ones on this board. My behaivor was inexcusable. Again, I am sorry. God Bless you and your family, sir!

I don't think it has anything to do with Heupel liking Banks. He had no ties to him before he hired him when no one else wante this job. He won't fire him because he has no reason to. Our defense is a top 25 defense in the country. We are top 10 and 15 in key defensive stats and even after this game, we will still be respectable on defense. So what would be the grounds for firing him?

You don’t need grounds.

Banks is not the problem, Martinez and the secondary cannot defend and are pathetic tacklers

I apologize if I’m late to the party. But with Jimbo out at A&M… would anyone be interested in “DJ Durkin” as DC. Someone I’d be interested in, lots of SEC ties, good recruiter and aggressive DC.

I don't think it has anything to do with Heupel liking Banks. He had no ties to him before he hired him when no one else wante this job. He won't fire him because he has no reason to. Our defense is a top 25 defense in the country. We are top 10 and 15 in key defensive stats and even after this game, we will still be respectable on defense. So what would be the grounds for firing him?

Grounds? How about Maybe the Top 3 Front 7 in the SEC? And you get outcoached most every game?

Reactions: 89 VOLS grad
I apologize if I’m late to the party. But with Jimbo out at A&M… would anyone be interested in “DJ Durkin” as DC. Someone I’d be interested in, lots of SEC ties, good recruiter and aggressive DC.

ABSOLUTELY! But Hype is too loyal, and it will get his azz eventually.

VN Store

Back