Can you believe they did it?

ThatVolGuy

Debonair Extraordinaire
I will admit that I tend to be more of a realist (a coward's way of saying "pessimist"), so leading up to the final four games of the regular season I was fully prepared to have the bottom fall out. Not because I thought the team would play poorly, per se, but just because it would be four straight games against extremely stiff competition, including two games on the road in VERY hostile environments against teams also fighting for a league title. That's like a nightmare scenario for any squad looking to finish the season on a strong note. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least if we went 1-3.

But holy sh*t guys, this team beat ALL of my expectations. I am genuinely astounded at the mettle and poise the Vols have shown over the past week. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the "move on to the next game" mentality, and I understand why that's helpful, but I really want to take a minute to consider just how incredible it is for the Vols to win the SEC outright in this fashion. I can't remember a tougher ending stretch for any basketball season in recent memory, and our guys just refuse to bend to the pressure.

We've got a lot left to play for, but what a massive accomplishment. It speaks volumes about Rick Barnes, his staff, and all of the players. It's a joy to watch this team!

I don't think I've ever seen, or even heard about, a team needing to win three games this important back to back to back, two of them ROAD GAMES, with the conference championship potentially on the line for the winner each time. Basically playing for the SEC championship 3 games in a row. Insanely difficult, and they pulled it off!

The maturity on this team is evident on the court. Adding DK gave an already good team the missing piece for it to be elite. I admit that I really thought we would drop the game in Coleman as I have witnessed so many losses there but this team is built different. I really am enjoying this year as we are finally a legitimate contender with all the pieces in place.

I will admit that I tend to be more of a realist (a coward's way of saying "pessimist"), so leading up to the final four games of the regular season I was fully prepared to have the bottom fall out. Not because I thought the team would play poorly, per se, but just because it would be four straight games against extremely stiff competition, including two games on the road in VERY hostile environments against teams also fighting for a league title. That's like a nightmare scenario for any squad looking to finish the season on a strong note. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least if we went 1-3.

But holy sh*t guys, this team beat ALL of my expectations. I am genuinely astounded at the mettle and poise the Vols have shown over the past week. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the "move on to the next game" mentality, and I understand why that's helpful, but I really want to take a minute to consider just how incredible it is for the Vols to win the SEC outright in this fashion. I can't remember a tougher ending stretch for any basketball season in recent memory, and our guys just refuse to bend to the pressure.

We've got a lot left to play for, but what a massive accomplishment. It speaks volumes about Rick Barnes, his staff, and all of the players. It's a joy to watch this team!
I thought we would lose one game being @ Tuscaloosa.

Sorry, that's not called being a realist it's called not having a clue what you're watching or talking about.
I'm sorry your immediate response was to go into d*ck mode, but the fact that we trailed by 7+ well into the second half against both Alabama and Auburn (and had the lead against SC cut to 3 going into the final minute) shows that losses were far from inconceivable.

Christ on a cracker. You're acting like I said we'd lose three to Vanderbilt, Mizzou, and Arkansas.

I'm sorry your immediate response was to go into d*ck mode, but the fact that we trailed by 7+ well into the second half against both Alabama and Auburn (and had the lead against SC cut to 3 going into the final minute) shows that losses were far from inconceivable.

Christ on a cracker. You're acting like I said we'd lose three to Vanderbilt, Mizzou, and Arkansas.
You said it wouldn't have surprised you not that it could happen. This team going 1-3 in the last 4 would prob have been surprising to anyone that watched them al season

You said it wouldn't have surprised you not that it could happen. This team going 1-3 in the last 4 would prob have been surprising to anyone that watched them al season
Okay chief. Let me know if your upset feelings from any previous conversations will impact my ability to post moving forward. This level of hostility is a little weird, but you do you.

We could also have gone 0-4 down the stretch. I don’t think stating that makes someone clueless. And you’re a mod? Wow, you must be a bona fide member of the media.
Going 0-4 would have been really surprising to everyone right? Did you read the op?

Okay chief. Let me know if your upset feelings from any previous conversations will impact my ability to post moving forward. This level of hostility is a little weird, but you do you.
If you didn't want anyone to respond with their opinion then why post? I thought you had a bad take and said so. No one but you and your white knight seem to be upset

Going 0-4 would have been really surprising to everyone right? Did you read the op?
Surprising definitely, but it could have happened given the opponents and locations. I think you took the OP as a slight, but I didn’t read it that way. What an accomplishment to be 3-0 in the midst of this brutal final four games!

If you didn't want anyone to respond with their opinion then why post? I thought you had a bad take and said so. No one but you and your white knight seem to be upset
Honestly my friend, your response says much more about you than it does about me. I'm sorry your feelings are still hurt—most of us can process internet discussions and move on in a healthy way.

I stand firmly by my take and the joy I felt when the team proved me wrong.

Surprising definitely, but it could have happened given the opponents and locations. I think you took the OP as a slight, but I didn’t read it that way. What an accomplishment to be 3-0 in the midst of this brutal final four games!
He literally said "It wouldn't have surprised me" which I quoted and responded to as a bad take. This team deserved way more credit than that

Honestly my friend, your response says much more about you than it does about me. I'm sorry your feelings are still hurt—most of us can process internet discussions and move on in a healthy way.

I stand firmly by my take and the joy I felt when the team proved me wrong.
What feelings do you keep going on about? I simply replied to a post and you seem to think that means something. If you don't want replies then don't start threads

He literally said "It wouldn't have surprised me" which I quoted and responded to as a bad take. This team deserved way more credit than that
Yeah, it was COMPLETELY outside the realm of possibility that a team that lost to Mississippi State and Texas A&M (by 16) on the road (and struggled against Missouri) would drop a couple against two of the league's top three teams on the road. And again, the fact that Auburn had us down 8 about halfway through the second half shows that winning wasn't a foregone conclusion.

It's obvious you're just being an assh*le for the sake of being an assh*le. Congrats, I guess? Nobody's stopping you from replying. :)

Reactions: CornDontGrow
It’s all what you infer from those words. I don’t know his intentions but I didn’t read that as if he expected 1-3 because the Vols just aren’t very good. I would hope a forum moderator wouldn’t be so thin-skinned to have that kind of reaction. Probably just a bad take on your part. No big deal, it happens. Thanks for your efforts on this site!

I didn't think they'd win all of these last 3. I really don't care if they pump the brakes and lose Sat or in the conf tourney. They need rest or they'll burn out againm

I don't think I've ever seen, or even heard about, a team needing to win three games this important back to back to back, two of them ROAD GAMES, with the conference championship potentially on the line for the winner each time. Basically playing for the SEC championship 3 games in a row. Insanely difficult, and they pulled it off!
Added to the fact, both Al & SC crowds and forum was complete and utterly ridiculous.
I’ll admit, I had concerns that it might have been too much to overcome, but this team just shows how damn tough they are and came into these arenas and ripped their heart & souls out.
Barnes loves this team and the way they embrace each other and regardless of what happens going forward, I think this was one of CRB’s best coaching effort since he came here. We are super blessed to have this guy! Thanks

I bet $400 back in November or December on the Vols to win the SEC.😁
Awfully glad I did. If I had been smart/prescient, I would have bet at least $1000 (bettors remorse is painful😥).

Last edited:
This team hasn't played this well for 3 or 4 games straight all season until now. They got kicked on the road against A&M, couldn't do anything against USCe at home. Lost to MSU on the road. Nearly lost on the road to the worst team in the leauge (Missouri) played poorly for a half against Vandy, and needed a come from behind win against UGA. This team has had plenty of inconsistent moments this season, enough to doubt whether they could pull off what appears to be a running of the table these last 4 extremely difficult games. Still gotta win Saturday, but still. To act like it was a certain thing they wouldn't have any trouble these last 4 games is silly.

The difference now from before, is we appear to be figuring out how to win on nights when DK doesn't go for 30+, and everyone just seems locked in. Hope it continues in to the big dance. It's been fun to watch them win these games with the conference on the line, especially on the road.

VN Store

Back