Candace Parker: Unapologetic

madtownvol

ESPN's documentary series 30 30 has produced a film on Candace Parker entitled "Candace Parker :Unapologetic"

You can find it on the ESPN app and it is showing periodically on ESPN2.

It is definitely worth a watch.

It is a biographic narrative that begins with CP3 growing up in Naperville, playing one-on-one against her NBA bound brother, through her high school phenom days, to her LV career, and then the ups and downs of her pro-career. The documentary basically ends with her 2nd season with the Sky, though it mentions her signing with the ACES.

Interwoven are the up close and personal stories about her relationships to her (divorced) parents, her daughter, some about Sheldon, her wife Anna, and most of all CPS.

The documentary has lots of video clips and discussion about Coach Summitt and her lasting impact on CP3. Overall, the documentary is really a good promo for LV basketball-- CP3 is very much a LVFL.

Other tidbits are CP3 reflecting on her feelings about being omitted from the 2016 Olympic team and the extent of the chronic injuries that she has battled through to keep playing (it is a lot more than I had realized)., It understandable why she has been pondering retirement for several years.

Here is a link to the trailer:

Last edited:
ESPN's documentary series 30 30 has produced a film on Candace Parker entitled "Candace Parker :Unapologetic"

You can find it on the ESPN app and it is showing periodically on ESPN2.

It is definitely worth a watch.

It is a biographic narrative that begins with CP3 growing up in Naperville, playing one-on-one against her NBA bound brother, through her high school phenom days, to her LV career, and then the ups and downs of her pro-career. The documentary basically ends with her 2nd season with the Sky, though it mentions her signing with the ACES.

Interwoven are the up close and personal stories about her relationships to her (divorced) parents, her daughter, some about Sheldon, her wife Anna, and most of all CPS.

The documentary has lots of video clips and discussion about Coach Summitt and her lasting impact on CP3. Overall, the documentary is really a good promo for LV basketball-- CP3 is very much a LVFL.

Other tidbits are CP3 reflecting on her feelings about being omitted from the 2016 Olympic team and the extent of the chronic injuries that she has battled through to keep playing through (it is a lot more than I had realized)., It understandable why she has been pondering retirement for several years.

Here is a link to the trailer:

2019 my daughter was playing in CA for softball nationals. We got there a few days early to sight see and show her around. Heading down a side street to Rodeo Drive, saw CP and few females (can only assume WNBA players) sitting outside enjoying the day. Walked by and said Go Vols. Her eyes lite up and she got up stepped away from her table and talked with us for a few mins. Asked my daughter about softball, where she was from and talked recruiting. It was a genuine conversation on sports, home, recruiting as she said she doesn’t get Go Vols often in So Cal. Thanked her and wished the table well….as we headed to Rodeo Drive, I said to my daughter “you have no idea who that was do you?” “Nope, but she was cool”. Now she see her on TV and goes back to that moment.

For the record, my daughter had no interest in basketball although many of her friends chastised her for not knowing who CP3 is. Monica Abbott is her Candace.

Thanks, Madtown! I haven't watched this yet, but am baffled by the title -- What is there for Candace to apologize for?

Thanks, Madtown! I haven't watched this yet, but am baffled by the title -- What is there for Candace to apologize for?

Hi Volly, long time no communicato!! The title becomes clearer when you see the documentary. Some of it refers to the backlash when she coming out as gay and some refers to social media criticisms over her court demeanor but it mainly refers to CP3's late life realization that what others think does not matter.

I'd assume a lot of it is from her vocal social standings. Lot of anti police 🚔 and oppression rhetoric. Lot of people were turned off by that.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I also enjoyed the documentary. It was interesting to hear in her own words the struggles she had in her Freshman year when she couldn't play due to injury and not getting along with teammates at that juncture. She said she was so close to leaving Tennessee during that season. Thank goodness she stayed@

Dunking on Connecticut, judging by her omission from the Olympic team.

VollyParton will remember this too. Back in the day on the SummiTT board, there was a huge debate and rift over Candace dunking. At the time, people declared as being unsportsmanlike and too manly and that CPS should ban Candace from doing this immoral act (think of the children).

It seems comical now but sports fans can be incredibly hostile to change or innovation.

Last edited:
VollyParton will remember this too. Back in the day on the SummiTT board, there was a huge debate and rift over Candace dunking. At the time, people declared as being unsportsmanlike and too manly and that CPS should ban Candace from doing this immoral act (think of the children).

It seems comical now but sports fans can be incredibly hostile to change or innovation.

I go further back than that, MadTown! The chatter over Candace dunking at Con was NOTHING compared to the day the world blew up when Michelle Snow dunked at Vandy - ay caramba!!! CP3 was playing her game - it was Con's job to stop her!

(I think I still have my ticket to that Vandy game)

I don't want to give too much away but let's just say CP3 is not Geno's #1 fan.
I’m with CP3. He’s a piece of work, who still doesn’t realize he benefited from Pat Summitt and other pioneers in Women’s Basketball. All he’s ever done is look after Geno and U Conn.

Reactions: Bsport
I go further back than that, MadTown! The chatter over Candace dunking at Con was NOTHING compared to the day the world blew up when Michelle Snow dunked at Vandy - ay caramba!!! CP3 was playing her game - it was Con's job to stop her!

(I think I still have my ticket to that Vandy game)
And also, Pat told Michelle to dunk. If you have the video, Pat clearly says to Michelle (after she draws up the play) "And dunk it!" Also, I remember when Muffett complained when Snow dunked on Notre Dame! Pat was all about growing the game, and I can promise you she had no problem with any of her players dunking!

Pat was all about growing the game, and I can promise you she had no problem with any of her players dunking!
That was always obvious! 😆

What I love about Snow's dunk is that I thought that most of the people attending were wowed by seeing a woman player dunk, in person, at a time when women weren't dunking. Everyone in the crowd let out some kind of yell, everyone was standing, there were Vandy fans applauding, some young fans giving Snow the "we're not worthy!" bow, and the ref signaling a basket and turning to Pat to give her a thumbs up. Of course, many of the Vandy fans were offended, their coach was pissy about it in the press conference, and some reporter suggested to Pat it was unsportsmanlike or something awful when they should have been acknowledging a landmark moment. Pat got really mad at the reporter - "If I were a man, I wouldn't even get the question!!", and she was right. It took a long time for the women's game to accept dunks without going "tsk, tsk". Probably Geno still hasn't gotten there yet. And who didn't enjoy seeing Candace dunk on his home court lol

VN Store

Back