Case over for Jaylen McCollough

The dude (McCollough) went after him and then instigated the assault after he left the apartment and was several feet away. It absolutely should have gone to trial.
Absolutely. I am glad this will not ruin his life but what he did is criminal. It was not self defense, it was retaliation. He easily could have killed the guy, A D1 athlete punching a man and knocking him down apartment stairs.

Buglers broke into my neighbor's home in Houston. While police were there investigating, I asked them what I should do if I caught an intruder robing me in my home. The answer: "Shoot him. If he's outside, drag him back in the house and we'll take care of it from there."
And that would be murder. I have no problem defending your home. Shooting someone after they left is murder.

Utter bullst that the rest of his life is now stained with a felony conviction because some aszhat came into his own home. What kind of idiot judge is this?
Hey Knox County, try voting ina decent District Attorney. Is this the POS that also pushed the AJJohnson case? That dude needs to be the one in prison.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Not 100% true, as someone who had a charge when he was 18 expunged.

It showed up on a background check in the military which required me to take a polygraph, and on professional licensure requiring me to produce documentation that the charge was expunged, as well as a letter explaining what happened.

Hope it goes better for him.
I've had a bull crap charge expunged, myself. You have to go to the courthouse and fill out paperwork, then I was told I needed to hold on to the copy they gave me because it would no longer be in there system. Also, if I ever needed to prove it was expunged, due to it showing up on a background check, that I would need that paperwork. I've had a few background checks since then and it's never shown up. The military is probably a different story, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: UT_Tix79
Utter bullst that the rest of his life is now stained with a felony conviction because some aszhat came into his own home. What kind of idiot judge is this?
Hey Knox County, try voting ina decent District Attorney. Is this the POS that also pushed the AJJohnson case? That dude needs to be the one in prison.
The dude (McCollough) went after him and then instigated the assault after he left the apartment and was several feet away. It absolutely should have gone to trial.
So someone can walk in your home unannounced, in an area with a lot of burglaries, & you’re gonna let him back out & go find another place to rob. Thanks.

So someone can walk in your home unannounced, in an area with a lot of burglaries, & you’re gonna let him back out & go find another place to rob. Thanks.
The law takes a very dim view of you taking violent actions based on what you think someone else "might" do outside your residence without an articulable personal defense of oneself or others. Inside your residence you have a fairly wide degree of leeway. Once outside your options for legally justifiable physical action are greatly diminished. If you're truly concerned about the person in question take pics (who doesn't have a camera phone these days?) and call the cops.

I'm glad it appears Jaylen looks to be putting this behind him.

And that would be murder. I have no problem defending your home. Shooting someone after they left is murder.
As a simple rule, this lacks understanding of human nature.

When you get into a firefight, or any kind of life and death struggle, really, your senses tend to go hyper-alert to things that can kill you, while greying out everything else into the background. The guy you're fighting, you're super aware of him, how he's moving, what he might do next. Meanwhile, the walls around you, the doors, the stairs, you only actively notice them if they impinge on your movement.

All that to say, McCullough may not even have been aware, in a conscious sense, that he had followed the intruder back out through his front door. He may have been so focused on the guy's hands, the bottle he held, and what the fella might do next, that he simply didn't register having moved from his living room to the landing. A part of his brain undoubtedly noted it, but not the part that was getting all the processing power at the moment.

If the criminal justice system, our way of judging guilt and innocence, doesn't take that physiology into account, then it is wrong and should be fixed.

In my view, it's not murder if you are still, as far as you can tell, defending yourself, your family, and your belongings. It remains self-defense.

The rest is on the intruder for kicking it off.

The law takes a very dim view of you taking violent actions based on what you think someone else "might" do outside your residence without an articulable personal defense of oneself or others. Inside your residence you have a fairly wide degree of leeway. Once outside your options for legally justifiable physical action are greatly diminished. If you're truly concerned about the person in question take pics (who doesn't have a camera phone these days?) and call the cops.

I'm glad it appears Jaylen looks to be putting this behind him.
Oh I understand the law. It appears that JM was prosecuted tougher than a typical burglar would have been though.

Buglers broke into my neighbor's home in Houston. While police were there investigating, I asked them what I should do if I caught an intruder robing me in my home. The answer: "Shoot him. If he's outside, drag him back in the house and we'll take care of it from there."
That police officer should be fired. Unless you're in imminent danger, that would be murder.

I'm not going to get into the specifics of this case. My concern is for the players going forward. With NIL money going too these young kids, they will be targeted for a quick payday

So, you are changing the narrative from the guy just getting apartment doors mixed up with a different one to, someone breaking and entering to rob? That’s not just asinine, that is just plain stupid!

But, to provide you a response, if he was going to strike him, he should have done so while he WAS ACTUALLY in the stated apartment! Had that occurred, there probably would not have been charges filed.

So, you are changing the narrative from the guy just getting apartment doors mixed up with a different one to, someone breaking and entering to rob? That’s not just asinine, that is just plain stupid!

But, to provide you a response, if he was going to strike him, he should have done so while he WAS ACTUALLY in the stated apartment! Had that occurred, there probably would not have been charges filed.
You’re stupid. People don’t get doors confused at 12 noon on Sunday. Burglars walk thru apts daily checking doors unlocked, car doors unlocked. Wake the F up!

You’re stupid. People don’t get doors confused at 12 noon on Sunday. Burglars walk thru apts daily checking doors unlocked, car doors unlocked. Wake the F up!
Read the original article:

It clearly states he had been drinking at friends apartment and thought he was entering said apartment. I was not there but, I imagine the police interviewed “friends “ and thus, he was not (checking) to break in. Had “friends” not corroborated victims story, that surely would have come out but, it did not.

Dude went after victim probably because he knew he was inebriated and weaker; trying to show off (or be a thug) and literally broke the law!

Anything you are spewing to change the narrative is not only incorrect but on the side of ignorant.

I do know for a fact and have personally seen people doing what you described but this is not the case!

Reactions: EasternVol
No defense for what Jaylen did. If he beat this dudes ass, while he was in his apartment, then no problem. He didn't.

Easy when its not you. Dude was given a sure thing and it's over. It may have gone on for another 2 years with him being young and ready to move on with his life. You do you man and let others worry about their own life.

That must be some neighborhood, what with roaming musicians breaking into houses and concern about clothiers doing the same. Then again it is Houston.

That police officer should be fired. Unless you're in imminent danger, that would be murder.
I would vote to give him a medal. So, someone breaks into your home you are just going to graciously let them steal what you have worked hard for? Will you feed them dinner as well? It's people like you that make things unsafe for others.

I believe I have the right to defend my property. If you are stealing my property and I warn you to stop or I'll shoot, it's on you. Not being able to defend your property leads to more crime. It's why we are seeing the rampant crime sprees in our cities. There are no consequences for the thieves who rob and destroy with impunity.

Maybe, but did the guy enter, leave and then enter a second time? Why would I not fear a third entry into the apartment, and want to incentivize that escalating action NOT to happen? Just not cut and dried to me. Lack of fast retreat out of sight makes it cloudy.

Maybe, but did the guy enter, leave and then enter a second time? Why would I not fear a third entry into the apartment, and want to incentivize that escalating action NOT to happen? Just not cut and dried to me. Lack of fast retreat out of sight makes it cloudy.
It's insane that this wasn't straight dropped. The dude went in, knew it was the wrong place, and went back. He ought to have been beaten purely for being a belligerent drunken ass.

Great gig if you can get it: get drunk, intrude into the private lives of other people, be a smartass about it, get hit a couple of times, and get paid $22,000.

Do that five times a year, and you're making really good money for five days' work and about the same amount of pain and suffering as the average amateur boxer takes for free.

Glad Jaylen's got this behind him. Lessons learned: keep the door locked even when you're home, and beat the **** out of the intruder while he's still inside your house/apartment.

Go Vols!
I have to disagree on this one. Agree that its not good to be drunk and intrude into the wrong apartment.

But that does not justify following someone out into the parking lot and punching them. The dude left. Let him go.

Reactions: #1fulmerite

VN Store

Back