CBJ and injuries

It's a necessary evil some years. You hope to recruit well enough every year where a starting SR LB doesn't have to cover kicks. Especially when you have very little behind him at LB.

Ideally, sure. I don't disagree at all. That's one example and I remember the huge debate about JRM specifically. But there's also an argument to be made for putting the guys on the field that give you the best chance to win.

Ideally, sure, in a perfect world. I don't disagree at all. That's one example and I remember the huge debate about JRM specifically. But there's also an argument to be made for putting the guys on the field that give you the best chance to win.

Yep. Sometimes they are guys you have no answer for if they go down.

Yep. Sometimes they are guys you have no answer for if they go down.

And unfortunately, we've had several of those type guys go down.

Lack of quality depth is probably a different discussion, and while I think most teams deal with it on some level, it's certainly something you hope you're not dealing with often and at multiple positions.

Ideally, sure. I don't disagree at all. That's one example and I remember the huge debate about JRM specifically. But there's also an argument to be made for putting the guys on the field that give you the best chance to win.

Don't disagree with your last statement. But in this particular case it was the Ohio Bobcats.

Inexcusable, really.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't disagree with your last statement. But in this particular case it was the Ohio Bobcats.

Inexcusable, really.

Ohio. That was an awful day.

It's unfortunate to have as many injuries as we did that day. However, if you're playing starters on special teams, I don't think you pick and choose to only play them in the big games.

Ohio. That was an awful day.

It's unfortunate to have as many injuries as we did that day. However, if you're playing starters on special teams, I don't think you pick and choose to only play them in the big games.

Were we hurt more throughout the year missing JRM on every snap of defense, or 5 snaps a game of ST?

I don't recall our ST suffering that much with all of our injuries, but I'm still having nightmares about the 2016 defense.

Point is, someone else could have, and should have filled that role on ST coverage.

Were we hurt more throughout the year missing JRM on every snap of defense, or 5 snaps a game of ST?

I don't recall our ST suffering that much with all of our injuries, but I'm still having nightmares about the 2016 defense.

Point is, someone else could have, and should have filled that role on ST coverage.

Guess it would depend on if an opponent scored a game winning kick return td on 1 of those 5 plays per game as a direct result of not having the best players out there.

Guess it would depend on if an opponent scored a game winning kick return td on 1 of those 5 plays per game as a direct result of not having the best players out there.

Well he wasn't for the last 8 games.

Did it hurt us on special teams?

And unfortunately, we've had several of those type guys go down.

Lack of quality depth is probably a different discussion, and while I think most teams deal with it on some level, it's certainly something you hope you're not dealing with often and at multiple positions.

"Quality" depth.

That was an interesting discussion not too long ago.

Well he wasn't for the last 8 games.

Did it hurt us on special teams?

Haven't checked the averages to be honest, you?

Doesn't really matter, it's just one of those pros and cons discussions. Anyone could make a legitimate argument for both sides. It's also not uncommon across football.

Not insulting you, you are very open about your dislike of Jones. And I'm not sold on starters on ST.
But I understand the negative to having less talent on the field. But I'll never know if you're truly adamant about the subject or just being adamant just because it's the opposite of what the coach does.

Haven't checked the averages to be honest, you?

Doesn't really matter, it's just one of those pros and cons discussions. Anyone could make a legitimate argument for both sides. It's also not uncommon across football.

Not insulting you, you are very open about your dislike of Jones. And I'm not sold on starters on ST.
But I understand the negative to having less talent on the field. But I'll never know if you're truly adamant about the subject or just being adamant just because it's the opposite of what the coach does.

Well, you are making assumptions and that aren't true, first off.

Disliking Jones, and seeing errors (IMO) are totally different things.

And no, I haven't looked it up, nor do I need to. Nothing stands out in my mind ST catastrophe related, other than Medley from time to time, and that doesn't relate to this conversation.

And, I'm truly just adamant on this particular subject. No studs on special teams coverage!

That's what 2nd teamers are for.

Well, you are making assumptions and that aren't true, first off.

Disliking Jones, and seeing errors (IMO) are totally different things.

And no, I haven't looked it up, nor do I need to. Nothing stands out in my mind ST catastrophe related, other than Medley from time to time, and that doesn't relate to this conversation.

And, I'm truly just adamant on this particular subject. No studs on special teams coverage!

That's what 2nd teamers are for.

Seems like it would be hard for me to be making assumptions given I specifically said "I don't know if". Weird.

I guess its legitimate and you are just really unlucky to always disaprove.

Special teams can win games and special teams can lose games. Special teams dictate field position and starting field position is an important factor in the outcome of the game when teams are evenly matched.

While I understand the concern with having the best players on special teams - why wouldn't you want the best player playing at a position regardless of whether it is defense, offense or a tackler / blocker on a special team?

"Quality" depth.

That was an interesting discussion not too long ago.

Lol, funny thing I noticed about that.
I'm reading that discussion and there's one of the poster going on about the lack of recruiting talent.
Then a different older thread gets bumped and I notice a comment from the same poster, outraged we weren't in playoff contention when we were 3 deep with unbelievable talent.
Sorry, off topic. Just that moment when you realize honest opinions take a back seat to just wanting to complain for some.

Last edited:
Seems like it would be hard for me to be making assumptions given I specifically said "I don't know if". Weird.

I guess its legitimate and you are just really unlucky to always disaprove.

Maybe you should re-read your own post.

Maybe you should re-read your own post.

I did.
For the opponents scoring, I said *If that costs us points AND that I haven't checked the averages.

For you, I said I DON'T KNOW IF YOU...
Why don't you just explain which you think is an assumption.

I did.
For the opponents scoring, I said *If that costs us points AND that I haven't checked the averages.

For you, I said I DON'T KNOW IF YOU...
Why don't you just explain which you think is an assumption.

Not insulting you, you are very open about your dislike of Jones.

Not insulting you, you are very open about your dislike of Jones.

Oh, okay. Maybe I am mistaken. It wasn't an assumption though, just a mistake. I honestly thought that you have expressed your dislike of Jones many times. I guess I have you confused with someone with a similar screen name. Sorry, I really thought it was you.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. Maybe I am mistaken. It wasn't an assumption though, just a mistake. I honestly thought that you have expressed your dislike of Jones many times. I guess I have you confused with someone with a similar screen name. Sorry, I really thought it was you.

I have my "issues" with him, no doubt.

I'll never be confused with a CBJ apologist, for sure.

But, I do try my level best to be fair minded in serious discussions. Other times I'm a smart azz.

So, you aren't all wrong to be honest. Some things I do feel strongly about in a negative way with Coach Jones.

I want him to be the guy long term, though. As a person, I really like him.

Confused yet?

Me too.

I have my "issues" with him, no doubt.

I'll never be confused with a CBJ apologist, for sure.

But, I do try my level best to be fair minded in serious discussions. Other times I'm a smart azz.

So, you aren't all wrong to be honest. Some things I do feel strongly about in a negative way with Coach Jones.

I want him to be the guy long term, though. As a person, I really like him.

Confused yet?

Me too.

Make sense to me.

I'd rather win with him more than any other outsider.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back