CFB Matrix - Vols #7!!

Dave Bartoo? I'm pretty sure he posts here on VN for what it's worth.

Not a regular poster by any stretch. Just jumped in and posted about twice in the "Vote for Barnett" thread which was all about his digital magazine. He's a regular guest on Swain's Show in the fall. I assumed either Jayson or Stokes told him about the thread and he decided to pop in quickly and let everybody know what was up. He's a good dude.

Just another example of shining the light on some numbers that make UT look better than they are

There are going to be a LOT of disappointed fans when we go 8-4...Just saying

You may not remember the glory days because of the Dark Ages we've been in for the past seven years or so. But before the Kiffooley debacle, this is how it felt every year, being excited about the possibilities. Back then, every year was a potential championship run.

And we're back to that. You may not see it yet, John, but we're back to that. From this point on, every year is a potential championship year for the Vols.

Logically, why not expect the floor to be 9-3? We have 8 home games, with 3 out of 4 of our toughest games in Neyland. Okla will be challenging since it's very early in the season and we will be acclimating freshmen and players who missed spring practice. Bama and UGA will be ranked higher. We generally play UGA close, and they have been lucky to escape with a W the past two years, when they were clearly the more talented team. This year, it's closer to parity, as it is with Arky.

We have at least equal talent, greater stability and comparable or better conditioning than the other teams on our schedule. If we start the season strong, home field advantage will likely make us the favorite in 9 games. Unless you think our coaches will be outcoached, our players will crumble under pressure or we'll be decimated by injuries, why do you think we'll lose a game we'll probably be favored to win?

Reactions: 1 person
All these numbers bein thrown around is bull hockey.......the VOLS are and always have been and always will be #1 in my book no matter the numbers in the W-L column!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think he is taking into account how our team played 5 years ago. Because what other teams have done in the past reflects completely on how this years team is going to play.

I really hope that the vols could fly under the rader and not be ranked untill we start whoopin a@@

Logically, why not expect the floor to be 9-3? We have 8 home games, with 3 out of 4 of our toughest games in Neyland. Okla will be challenging since it's very early in the season and we will be acclimating freshmen and players who missed spring practice. Bama and UGA will be ranked higher. We generally play UGA close, and they have been lucky to escape with a W the past two years, when they were clearly the more talented team. This year, it's closer to parity, as it is with Arky.

We have at least equal talent, greater stability and comparable or better conditioning than the other teams on our schedule. If we start the season strong, home field advantage will likely make us the favorite in 9 games. Unless you think our coaches will be outcoached, our players will crumble under pressure or we'll be decimated by injuries, why do you think we'll lose a game we'll probably be favored to win?

Battered fan syndrome. I think a lot of people just aren't comfortable predicting a win unless we clearly outclass the other team in talent. That's why you see a lot of 7-5 predictions where our only wins come against the 4 cupcakes (BGSU, Western Carolina, Vandy, NT), Kentucky, South Carolina (because we've won 2 in a row), and one more SEC game along the way.

Based on results from the past 5 years, it's hard to believe that our coaches and this team can roll up on another equally/more talented SEC team and pull out a win without us having a significant advantage heading into the game. That's just the perception right now. Losses to UF and Vandy in 2013 and UF in 2014 don't really help matters, either (although the South Carolina win in 2013 gives me some optimism).

I think we'll go 8-4, possibly 9-3, but....it's the Vols. It's hard to not take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.

Reactions: 2 people
All these numbers bein thrown around is bull hockey.......the VOLS are and always have been and always will be #1 in my book no matter the numbers in the W-L column!!!!

Amen brother!!! I feel the same, there is no other team...

GBO!!!

Battered fan syndrome. I think a lot of people just aren't comfortable predicting a win unless we clearly outclass the other team in talent. That's why you see a lot of 7-5 predictions where our only wins come against the 4 cupcakes (BGSU, Western Carolina, Vandy, NT), Kentucky, South Carolina (because we've won 2 in a row), and one more SEC game along the way.

Based on results from the past 5 years, it's hard to believe that our coaches and this team can roll up on another equally/more talented SEC team and pull out a win without us having a significant advantage heading into the game. That's just the perception right now. Losses to UF and Vandy in 2013 and UF in 2014 don't really help matters, either (although the South Carolina win in 2013 gives me some optimism).

I think we'll go 8-4, possibly 9-3, but....it's the Vols. It's hard to not take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.

It's been a wretched 5 years, no doubt, but the Battered Fan Syndrome can quickly become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Butch has to start winning SEC games against quality opponents. Okla, Bama, Arky, UGA, UF and Mizzou-- 3 at home. If we can't find a way to win 3 out of 6 to get to 9-3, then we're giving up winnable games to parity or near-parity teams. In Year 3, that's not a good thing.

I'm hoping 9-3 is the floor. If we go 8-4, that probably means a loss to UF, in which case who knows how the season will go.

Right now we are a top 20 team, by the end of the season somewhere around 12th, then in 2016 Preseason top 10 and fighting for a playoff spot because then WE TENNESSEE will be back competing for the SEC and competing for a playoff spot every year.

VN Store

Back