Cheek, Hart.........Jones

Other than Saban because that aint happening.
What other current SEC Football coach would you trade Jones for?
Take your pick of the league.

I got nothing!

You know, that's a very valid question and it only received one much debated response (Mason).

Where's all the other "Fire Butch" guys? They take Wednesday's off?

Has no one noticed that Butch hasn't welcomed Currie to the AD spot yet? Neither has Barnes.

Its not about the resources. Its about the fact that if you recruit at a high level, you are going to hve more problems and Vandy is less willing to accept that risk as other SEC schools are.
I'm not comparing Mason to Franklin as clearly Franklin was the better coach. However, Franklin brought in a class ranked 22 in the country which helped his success and almost got him put in jail. Mason's classes range from 44-60. He does not have a lot of talent and he was not left a good situation, with 4 of his players in jail awaiting a rape charges in a dorm.
I don't think Jones is a horrible coach, I think he is a middle of the road coach. If you can find a quote from me ever calling CBJ garbage, please show me? I think that Mason gets more out of the talent he has than CBJ does.

That quote wasn't direected at you individually, Just a general statment to the masses. Mason is a middle of the road coach as well. Mason still had Franklin's talent there minus the 4 players that were in trouble. Butch Jones came into almost Zero talent left after Dooley was gone.

If the baseball team continues doing well, I think CDS gets a contract extension while CHW will receive one more year to see if she can take the women's basketball program to an Elite eight or Final four appearance.

The question is does he get next year, and that really does come down to how well his O line plays this year.

I am telling you if he wins a Bowl game next year he is sealed through 2018...100%!!!

That's a fair assessment.

Odds are that would put us at least at 9-4 with a QB with experience for 2018.

With some luck and good health the sky is the limit.

Yeah but if he gets hired I have no faith in the new AD to hire anyone worth a darn. He was hired to be a fundraiser and money man and I don't see a professional beggar forking over top dollar for a top coach.

If he does hire a new coach it will be another Dooley/CBJ, mediocre coach from a bottom conference.

This school does not care about being anything but mediocre in athletics. The higher ups will cheer 9-4 seasons like national titles and could care less about winning the East, let alone the SEC or a national title. The one thing they don't realize is the glory days are faded away and continued mediocre will cost them billions. Students that care about sports would rather go to schools that win REAL championships. Fans will stop filling the stadium to watch us lose to UF, UGA and Bama every year. Finally merchandise sales will plummet as future generations see UT as no different than USCe, Ark, or Mizzou. Oh and this will all play a part in future deals with the companies that outfit our athletes and the deal we just got will look like a windfall compared the the jokes of offers they will get in the future.

Yeah but if he gets hired I have no faith in the new AD to hire anyone worth a darn. He was hired to be a fundraiser and money man and I don't see a professional beggar forking over top dollar for a top coach.

If he does hire a new coach it will be another Dooley/CBJ, mediocre coach from a bottom conference.

This school does not care about being anything but mediocre in athletics. The higher ups will cheer 9-4 seasons like national titles and could care less about winning the East, let alone the SEC or a national title. The one thing they don't realize is the glory days are faded away and continued mediocre will cost them billions. Students that care about sports would rather go to schools that win REAL championships. Fans will stop filling the stadium to watch us lose to UF, UGA and Bama every year. Finally merchandise sales will plummet as future generations see UT as no different than USCe, Ark, or Mizzou. Oh and this will all play a part in future deals with the companies that outfit our athletes and the deal we just got will look like a windfall compared the the jokes of offers they will get in the future.

There's only a short list of proven NC caliber coaches. The rest are basically unproven at the highest level.

Maybe CBJ and his new coaches can get it done. With some luck and good health, I like our chances.

Release the Beast!

There has already been 3 changes ... Davenport still has to hire one other person - that is 3.

Unless the team bottoms out next year or something really bad happens off the field, there will be no coaching change. Coach Jones has done way more right that he has done wrong if you look at all things associated with the program. Folks just need to get behind Team 121.

The reason we got so much hype was we're TENNESSEE. There's no more hype.
It's put up or shutup time for Butch.
If he cant get it done with this staff,its game over for Butch.

I am telling you if he wins a Bowl game next year he is sealed through 2018...100%!!!

No.

We could go to a bowl with a 6-6 (2-6 SEC) record, and end up 7-6 with a bowl win. He would not get another year just because of a bowl win in that scenario.

No.

We could go to a bowl with a 6-6 (2-6 SEC) record, and end up 7-6 with a bowl win. He would not get another year just because of a bowl win in that scenario.

I'm not so sure. Who the losses were to, who the wins were over and recruiting will play into this.

A 7-6 year with Tennessee competitive in every game coupled with good recruiting - I'm not sure it is wise to roll them dice.

You roll the dice, don't end up with a coach and staff that the aligns with the recruits that coach is trying to pull off a good class (... similar to what Jones had to do the first year ...) and it will not happen. So you run the risk of actually sending the program backwards with a change when waiting a year may = a great season in 2018 with continuity with coaches / players.

If any fans understand that changing coaches unless there is a compelling need (back to back to back losing seasons) is not wise, Tennessee fans should know that.

Some of you make it sound like this is an easy decision and a foregone conclusion. It's not.

There is no BIG NAME coach out there waiting with baited breath for the Tennessee job to come open even though many of you seem to think there is.

There has already been 3 changes ... Davenport still has to hire one other person - that is 3.

Unless the team bottoms out next year or something really bad happens off the field, there will be no coaching change. Coach Jones has done way more right that he has done wrong if you look at all things associated with the program. Folks just need to get behind Team 121.

Can you imagine how the conversation would go between Currie and potential new coaches when you tell them 9 wins a season will get you fired. Who in their right mind would take the job?

Reactions: 4 people
Unless something else comes up about the way he dealt with Boyles (sp?), i think Jones has dealt with these issues properly. It took alot of guts to bench AJ when he did, knowing how meaningful those games where and that he wouldn't have his best player.
Its not fair to wrap him up in the title 9 stuff. In that regard it seems CBJ would be the exact type of coach she would want.
Now his record against Vandy....
Seems like everyone has that certain team that they struggle with. Tennessee recently has been Vandy, Alabama's is Ole Miss..so on and so on.

I'm not so sure. Who the losses were to, who the wins were over and recruiting will play into this.

A 7-6 year with Tennessee competitive in every game coupled with good recruiting - I'm not sure it is wise to roll them dice.

You roll the dice, don't end up with a coach and staff that the aligns with the recruits that coach is trying to pull off a good class (... similar to what Jones had to do the first year ...) and it will not happen. So you run the risk of actually sending the program backwards with a change when waiting a year may = a great season in 2018 with continuity with coaches / players.

If any fans understand that changing coaches unless there is a compelling need (back to back to back losing seasons) is not wise, Tennessee fans should know that.

Some of you make it sound like this is an easy decision and a foregone conclusion. It's not.

There is no BIG NAME coach out there waiting with baited breath for the Tennessee job to come open even though many of you seem to think there is.

He specifically said, that all CBJ had to do was a win a bowl game in 2017, and he was safe for another year. Under the scenario that I described, a bowl win would not save him.

Being amongst the 63% of all FBS teams that will go to a bowl game is not a great accomplishment, especially when the requirements are being 6-6 on the season.

And I think Tennessee is more likely to be at least 6-2 in the SEC than 2-6.

6-2 in SEC play next year, with a new QB and new OC in the same season, after losing the majority of offensive and defensive production to graduation, will require a level of overachieving from CBJ and this staff, that we've never seen from any of his teams, or his coaching.

Is it possible, yeah, depending on what happens with the other teams in the East, but it's far from probable given what we know right now.

I think that CBJ will be here for several more years at least,he has retooled his coaching staff,been to consecutive bowl games,on his way to getting UT respected once again,did he fall short this past season ? yes,but there was a crap load of injuries to go along with that

i'm thinking at least 3 years more,gotta give those new coaches time to recruit and get the players in the system and no,I don't much much stock into freshmen recruits being able to help much,a few do,most don't

I forget which thread it was in,but they were saying part of the SEC slipping was the turnover of coaches,so with CBJ improving things,who would they get if he was fired ?

That's why he got that humongous pay raise and extension in the off-season.

Oh and Dooley retooled quite extensively before his last stand too.

He may stay for a while but for now, he is on a medium short leash.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back