Chill Pill

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
To cry and complain like a petulant child when things don't go your way, well, that's just bad upbringing. It is immaturity allowed to fester into adulthood. It is pitiful, but at the end of the day hurts no one other than the person throwing the tantrum. In short, it is ignorable as long as it is not a family member.

But to take the next step by calling for the firing of the best coach we've had since at least Fulmer, and maybe since Neyland, that's destructive. That's what got us into this mess in the first place, 15 years ago. That is unacceptable.

Josh Heupel is a very good coach. Tennessee needs to stick with him, as I'm sure Danny White and Donde Plowman already know. They need to ignore that vocal segment of the fan base that are going off the deep end. Because, sadly, if some idiots are doing it here on these boards, some other idiots among the boosters are trying the same crap.

Heupel doesn't yet have the talent he needs to take the next step. There are excellent, top-tier players on our roster. But there are also lads with whom we are making do. That was true last year, but is more evident in 2023. The strong bits were in just the right places to overcome most of the weak bits last year.

So Heupel needs time. And support. And a little bit of faith.

Most of you know this already. You support the coaching staff and understand it takes time. But man, there sure are a lot of the dangerous whiners here, too.

If you happen to be one of those, try this: take a chill pill. Learn to cope. Learn patience. Learn loyalty and discipline and maybe even a little faith. And if you can't do any of that, at least learn to scream your incendiary thoughts into a pillow rather than out into public.

To the majority, thanks for being you. You rock.

Go Vols!

To cry and complain like a petulant child when things don't go your way, well, that's just bad upbringing. It is immaturity allowed to fester into adulthood. It is pitiful, but at the end of the day hurts no one other than the person throwing the tantrum. In short, it is ignorable as long as it is not a family member.

But to take the next step by calling for the firing of the best coach we've had since at least Fulmer, and maybe since Neyland, that's destructive. That's what got us into this mess in the first place, 15 years ago. That is unacceptable.

Josh Heupel is a very good coach. Tennessee needs to stick with him, as I'm sure Danny White and Donde Plowman already know. They need to ignore that vocal segment of the fan base that are going off the deep end. Because, sadly, if some idiots are doing it here on these boards, some other idiots among the boosters are trying the same crap.

Heupel doesn't yet have the talent he needs to take the next step. There are excellent, top-tier players on our roster. But there are also lads with whom we are making do. That was true last year, but is more evident in 2023. The strong bits were in just the right places to overcome most of the weak bits last year.

Most of you know this already. You support the coaching staff and understand it takes time. But man, there sure are a lot of the dangerous whiners here, too.

If you happen to be one of those, try this: take a chill pill. Learn to cope. Learn patience. Learn loyalty and discipline and maybe even a little faith. And if you can't do any of that, at least learn to scream your incendiary thoughts into a pillow rather than out into public.

Go Vols!
The program as a whole failed it’s fan base yesterday

In my humble opinion. It’s going to be interesting to see what Heupel does with the Defensive Coaching Staff at the end of the Season. Martinez should be fired immediately. In fact, Martinez should’ve had to walk back to Knoxville. He’s worse than Terrible!!!

In my humble opinion. It’s going to be interesting to see what Heupel does with the Defensive Coaching Staff at the end of the Season. Martinez should be fired immediately. In fact, Martinez should’ve had to walk back to Knoxville. He’s worse than Terrible!!!

I have to actually say that the LB play was worse than the secondary yesterday. Didn’t think I would find myself ever saying that.

I don't think anyone wants him fired, but many are questioning repeated issues.

Talent discrepancies are not the cause of sizeable losses to SC last year, UF this year, and yesterday's Mizzou debacle.
I think there's a talent component, but I think the staff is afraid to play the more talented and much younger kids out of fear of making mistakes and perhaps damaging their confidence? I can see the argument from both perspectives. Some will say...okay...I'm saying...what good is a veteran who knows where to line up but can't make a play due to his physical limitations? Case in point would be Herring. He was way out of his depth last night yet the staff kept trotting him out there. At some point, a solid coach/staff will adjust. Why don't we? Do we not have anyone else to at least try? My biggest issue is this recurring trend of pulling complete no shows on the road. Losing on the road in the SEC is pretty common, but to lose like that? That's hard to accept. You can tell when a team fights hard and comes up short. No shame in losing to a better opponent, but when you see what we saw last night it makes you question the character on the team and the ability of a coaching staff to get through to the players. They say competition and being pushed makes everyone better. Well, I'm not sure any of our defensive starters are the least bit concerned about losing their spots to a younger player. One last thing is that the transfer portal is a 2 way street in Knoxville. Heupel and co had better not forget that.

In no way, and in no scenario do I think Hype should be fired. Now Banks, and Martinez I am really starting to question. The down side to firing coaches especially position coaches is when you start firing, recruits may start looking somewhere else, because many of them are closer to the position coach than any other coach.

That’s just wrong
For the better part of the last 20 years, this program has just stunk more often than not. There's simply been no entertainment value associated with UT football except for the fan reaction after humiliating losses. I'd thought those days were long gone, but clearly Heupel has found a way to let them continue to reappear on a periodic basis. Who am I to not enjoy the show when it's presented? Fans at least have passion and pride which is more than I saw from the players in orange and white last night. Those boys rolled over....not all, but way too many.

Reactions: Flovol and tbh
In no way, and in no scenario do I think Hype should be fired. Now Banks, and Martinez I am really starting to question. The down side to firing coaches especially position coaches is when you start firing, recruits may start looking somewhere else, because many of them are closer to the position coach than any other coach.

I wouldn’t want players who would be excited about playing for Banks and Martinez.

Reactions: Alto1 and TikiVol
Going 8-4 while playing young guys (see the LBs) doesn't make fans squawk, but doing so while playing vets at the expense of future development does.

That's compounded when losses are to teams with similar talent and margins involve multiple scores.

Martinez is a known. His hiring shocked me. As for Banks, we were told at the time that he was a young, bright defensive mind and that he was very aggressive and liked to attack. At this point, I'm not seeing much of either characteristic.

Martinez is a known. His hiring shocked me. As for Banks, we were told at the time that he was a young, bright defensive mind and that he was very aggressive and liked to attack. At this point, I'm not seeing much of either characteristic.
Something changed when Kamal Hadden went down. I do believe he was more aggressive when we had Hadden, remember I believe it was something like 64 percent of Texas A&M drop backs resulted in heavy pressure. Now I believe he is trying to compensate for the Kamal loss with a soft zone and it is killing us. He doesn’t even bring Beasley on blitzes anymore, nor am I seeing anymore stunts.

People clamoring to fire Heupel are ridiculous. We are in the best spot we’ve been in in 20 years.

The reason people are so upset is because we got routed by MIZZOU—A team that we have more talent than. We’re a better football program, and we’ve outrecruited them by a lot. On paper if anyone should have been blowing out the other, it’s UT. Yet, for some reason, when the season in many ways is on the line, Heupel’s teams fold. And they fold on teams they shouldn’t fold against, usually on the road (See SC last year and now Mizzou).

And they didn’t have any fight in them yesterday. It wasn’t just that we lost. It was the way we lost. Mizzou has a good team this year. Props to them, they played great. But the best teams don’t get blown out and come out lifeless like we did. How do we sleepwalk in a top 15 matchup? Heupel has to find a way to get these guys ready for every game.

Heupel is fine. He’s not going anywhere, but he gets zero passes and his seat quickly warms up next year if he keeps laying eggs on the road.

Road schedule next year is NC State, Arky, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Vandy. He still gets a freebie in Athens. The other four better be two blowouts, a comfortable win against NC State, and a close one in Norman (if he takes the L).

Go Vols!
I'm concerned with the repeated issues this team has playing on the road. That's two years in a row where playoff spot and a trip to Atlanta was on the line and the team showed no effort. I think everyone agrees that if he doesn't make defensive staff changes then there will be a problem.

Finally, a thread telling fans what to do and how to feel. Refreshing. This will surely change people’s actions.
Don't be foolish.

Words exist to share information, in an effort to influence the thoughts and perhaps actions of others. That's all words are. That's it.

And boards like vn.com are nothing but words. We exist here only as ideas shared through our words. In order to alert, educate, and influence one another.

To think any post made here is not that, well, that's just foolish.

As one example, your post: it uses sarcasm (the lowest form of humor, btw) in an effort to influence others. Perhaps me; maybe you want me to stop posting. But more likely, it is an attempt to impress others who think the same way as you. In other words, you're trying to get them to like you. I'm just your foil, your chance to be sarcastic while telling others how to feel about what I said in the OP.

So stop being foolish, and understand what these boards actually are. Try that.

Go Vols!

Don't be foolish.

Words exist to share information, in an effort to influence the thoughts and perhaps actions of others. That's all words are. That's it.

And boards like vn.com are nothing but words. We exist here only as words shared with each other. In order to alert, educate, and influence one another.

To think any post made here is not that, well, that's just foolish.

As one example, your post: it uses sarcasm (the lowest form of humor, btw) in an effort to influence others. Perhaps me; maybe you want me to stop posting. But more likely, it is an attempt to impress others whom you believe think the same way as you. In other words, you're trying to get others of your ilk to like you. I'm just your foil, your chance to be sarcastic while telling others how to feel about what I said in the OP.

So stop being foolish, and understand what these boards actually are. Try that.

Go Vols!
No, I’m going to be even more foolish now.

Go Vols!
Why don’t you take a chill pill. Very few, if anyone is calling upon the firing of Huepel! Posts like this have been made countless times over the years. You could substitute Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt for Huepel. You need to look up the definition of stupidity! Enough of the sunshine pumper!

Don’t need pep talks, need Huepel to come up with a solution! That is what he is paid to do. The responsibility is his alone.

Why don’t you take a chill pill. Very few, if anyone is calling upon the firing of Huepel! Posts like this have been made countless times over the years. You could substitute Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt for Huepel. You need to look up the definition of stupidity! Enough of the sunshine pumper!

Don’t need pep talks, need Huepel to come up with a solution! That is what he is paid to do. The responsibility is his alone.
Careful, you may get a lesson on what message boards are from the professor. He’s also a psychology buff.

Reactions: GoVols15 and Caz

VN Store

Back