Chill Pill

I'm concerned with the repeated issues this team has playing on the road. That's two years in a row where playoff spot and a trip to Atlanta was on the line and the team showed no effort. I think everyone agrees that if he doesn't make defensive staff changes then there will be a problem.
A trip to Atlanta was not on the line yesterday.. be real

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I don't think anyone wants him fired, but many are questioning repeated issues.

Talent discrepancies are not the cause of sizeable losses to SC last year, UF this year, and yesterday's Mizzou debacle.
This. Fans a clamoring over troublesome trends

To cry and complain like a petulant child when things don't go your way, well, that's just bad upbringing. It is immaturity allowed to fester into adulthood. It is pitiful, but at the end of the day hurts no one other than the person throwing the tantrum. In short, it is ignorable as long as it is not a family member.

But to take the next step by calling for the firing of the best coach we've had since at least Fulmer, and maybe since Neyland, that's destructive. That's what got us into this mess in the first place, 15 years ago. That is unacceptable.

Josh Heupel is a very good coach. Tennessee needs to stick with him, as I'm sure Danny White and Donde Plowman already know. They need to ignore that vocal segment of the fan base that are going off the deep end. Because, sadly, if some idiots are doing it here on these boards, some other idiots among the boosters are trying the same crap.

Heupel doesn't yet have the talent he needs to take the next step. There are excellent, top-tier players on our roster. But there are also lads with whom we are making do. That was true last year, but is more evident in 2023. The strong bits were in just the right places to overcome most of the weak bits last year.

So Heupel needs time. And support. And a little bit of faith.

Most of you know this already. You support the coaching staff and understand it takes time. But man, there sure are a lot of the dangerous whiners here, too.

If you happen to be one of those, try this: take a chill pill. Learn to cope. Learn patience. Learn loyalty and discipline and maybe even a little faith. And if you can't do any of that, at least learn to scream your incendiary thoughts into a pillow rather than out into public.

To the majority, thanks for being you. You rock.

Go Vols!
Another let's call out the fanbase thread. Nice to have arrogant superfans to keep the rest of us in line.

51 years old. Coached 8 years, officiated 7 in Texas. Born and raised Orange and will always be. Not calling for any coaches head, but if you think we lost to a more talented team on Saturday, every resource available would disagree with you. Also, we were beaten badly on the line of scrimmage, both sides, all game long. We were out-coached all game long. Those wheel routes and shallow in's and crosses were open all game long. Never an adjustment. SOOOOO much room between the backers and safeties that the inside shoulder was open for their receivers between the hashes all game long, with a 10 yard deep window to throw into.

ANYONE in the coaching profession would tell you that penalties are discipline, and discipline is coaching. Being the highest penalized team in the SEC is on the coaches. Buckle up buttercup. Can't blame the select fans you feel so far superior to, or the talent.

Also, hard to question the loyalty of ANYONE who is still a Tennessee fan after the last 15 years.

Last year we won some games we shouldn't have. I'm sure that set a higher ceiling than maybe we deserved. That said, we've lost two games that we simply didn't show up to this season. Did the same last year at USC Jr.. That is absolutely the coaches job. Get your guys ready and motivated. We were neither for UF or Mizzou. Great coaches lose games, but not players. The players quit Saturday with few exceptions. I'm not suggesting the coaches are horrible. I'm just pointing out there's legitimate reasons for fans to call for an improvement after a debacle like that. This is the age of NIL. Players and coaches are getting paid. D1 SEC football is not a participation trophy sport. Maybe find someone else to enable.

You can take your "majority" line and stick it. ANY Tennessee fan is a good Tennessee fan. The love of the State, University and Team is all that matters. Vol Nation is not Nazi Germany, Russia, North Korea, or Iran. Any fan has the right to have their own opinion about how we played, coached, etc., and you Adolph, have absolutely no say.

Last edited:
To be loyal to CJH, and I am, doesn't mean that we can't speak up about changes we think are needed. And head coaches often make changes in their staffs. One change I hope Heupel makes soon is at DC.
Coach Banks has to go. Our secondary, to include CBs is just awful. Even Doug Mathews, who rarely criticizes specifically, condemned our secondary and (significantly) secondary coaches on his Sunday show broadcast from Nashville.
Keep Rodney Garner, but otherwise clean house after the bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
Going 8-4 while playing young guys (see the LBs) doesn't make fans squawk, but doing so while playing vets at the expense of future development does.

That's compounded when losses are to teams with similar talent and margins involve multiple scores.
Not true.

The same fans bitching about not playing the young guys will point to the veterans who at least know how to line up.

I wonder if other fan bases have segments are as dumb as the vocal minority that we hear from after any loss. Johnny Majors had it right; Legions of the Miserable.

No reasonable person wants him fired right now. It is fair to have some serious concerns about his program in year three. If he doesn't find answers he will be on the hot seat in the next couple years...

No reasonable person wants him fired right now. It is fair to have some serious concerns about his program in year three. If he doesn't find answers he will be on the hot seat in the next couple years...
Nothing to be majorly concerned about. We will see coaches/players leave after the season. Just know. Most are told to leave, some will leave on their own. Dont freak out.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
Nothing to be majorly concerned about. We will see coaches/players leave after the season. Just know. Most are told to leave, some will leave on their own. Dont freak out.
Nothing at all to be majorly concerned about? I'm not talking about players and coaches leaving. That doesn't bother me. That's modern football.

I want to apologize to a member of Volnation. I’m sorry for offending you. I’m just a fan expressing my frustration and feelings on here. Again sorry for the post

In my humble opinion. It’s going to be interesting to see what Heupel does with the Defensive Coaching Staff at the end of the Season. Martinez should be fired immediately. In fact, Martinez should’ve had to walk back to Knoxville. He’s worse than Terrible!!!
i will be shocked if he makes any changes.

Can we get a show of hands of posters here that are on the Board of Trustees, Mega Donors to the UTAD, or Danny White?

Last I checked, those would be the decision makers on hiring and firing coaches.

Everyone else is just voicing an opinion and venting on a message board.

Unfortunately, the OP routinely conflates these two issues ( no one on this board is in a position to fire anyone and people are frustrated over a bad loss) and takes it upon himself to be the moral compass and voice of reason whether we need it or not.

Personally, I'm on board with replacing Martinez.

Second stint here and his stint at UGA showed his players will consistently have issues playing the ball in the air and tackling. His big claim to fame has been recruiting. Someone mentioned going the analyst route to teach players the fundamentals.

Maybe that's an option. The lack of a contract extension beyond this year for everyone but Martinez tells me there isn't a lot of confidence in him or he was put on notice though.

Something changed when Kamal Hadden went down. I do believe he was more aggressive when we had Hadden, remember I believe it was something like 64 percent of Texas A&M drop backs resulted in heavy pressure. Now I believe he is trying to compensate for the Kamal loss with a soft zone and it is killing us. He doesn’t even bring Beasley on blitzes anymore, nor am I seeing anymore stunts.
So one DB changes the entire defense? That’s a huge coaching problem.

I’m all in Heup and the future looks good but this OP post has been made about every head coach we have had in my 16 years on VN. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen regardless of what we say on a message board. We have what we have. GBO

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent

VN Store

Back