Chip. Kelly. Now.

He would be a better fit there, it depends if UT can afford to get into a bidding war with UCLA.

Can afford? haha are you that ignorant or just trolling? TN athletic ddepartment could buy UCLA's 2x over.

Money is not the issue Kelly won't come here, it's because our boosters and leadership won't agree on Kelly's seemingly checkered past which is dumb because he is nothing but a big, hairy American winning machine

Reactions: 1 person
Can afford? haha are you that ignorant or just trolling? TN athletic ddepartment could buy UCLA's 2x over.

Money is not the issue Kelly won't come here, it's because our boosters and leadership won't agree on Kelly's seemingly checkered past which is dumb because he is nothing but a big, hairy American winning machine

UCLA isn't some fly by night school. It's a prestigious university with a huge student population. Factor that in with all of their alumni/boosters and on paper you have a strong program to compete with for Chip Kelly. I don't know what makes you think they're some small program, but if you know something I don't, please tell me.

Reactions: 2 people
UCLA isn't some fly by night school. It's a prestigious university with a huge student population. Factor that in with all of their alumni/boosters and on paper you have a strong program to compete with for Chip Kelly. I don't know what makes you think they're some small program, but if you know something I don't, please tell me.

They're not. And yet if you look at revenue generated by their football program, it's no where close to Tennessee. Tennessee is one of the most profitable programs in the nation. Ninth last season if I remember correctly. UCLA has a lot of money associated with the school but most of their big boosters aren't nearly as interested or invested in athletics as southern boosters are. It's just a different culture there.

USC and other schools have always had a leg up on UCLA due to their entry qualifications. Of course I haven't lived and breathed UCLA football so maybe that has changed or is in the works to change. UCLA is another job like Nebraska that looks great on paper but when you look at everything it's a stacked deck against whoever lands there. Nebraska is much worse but UCLA is going to be a hard one to win at IMO. Kelly might want that though.

Edit: here's a link with some of the program's values listed for consideration. Also those thinking about money lost by firing Jones need to consider when we looked at local economic impact years ago 8million per home game was being infused into the kville economy. We can't afford to not make a big hire.

Ohio State bests Alabama, Auburn as most valuable college football program | AL.com

Last edited:
If you just stop and think about it, the choice is already made if you alphabetize it:

Gruden
Kelly
Miles

Ho boy. I was 50/50 on Gruden/Kelly until your post brought to light the possibility that Kelly maybe would coach the gators. Living smack dab in the middle of a virtual ocean of the nations speediest athletes...with his high octane fast offensive schemes...well, I quickly began envisioning fun-n-gun on steroids. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! Let's get Kelly on board ASAP! Face it, doubters. Chip's Oregon team had pizzazz! It wasn't just the unis. The man sent some really talented fellas to the NFL. Why did they go to the great northwest to display their wares? Pizzazz, baby. In those 4 short years his teams ranked on top of or at least in the top 5 of the polls. Who's doubting he won't fill the stands and make orange even cooler than he made lime green...and win lots of games? Grab him before he moves down to Gainesville!

McElwain isn't going anywhere this season. He will get a pass for all the suspension's and QB injuries.The man has won the East back to back years next year would be when he would be on the hot seat. Chip Kelly will not even get a look from UT.I can see Chip ending up at UCLA or if A'M opens up then possibly there. LSU won't be available or he possibly could be an option there too. But I think he ends up back in the NFL.

I wouldn't classify him as that yet. He hasn't been a HC for 10-15 yrs or consistently won for that amount of time. Yes he built on what Belotti started at Oregon but he's only been a college HC for 4 years. Winning in the pac 12 is one thing and let's face it his 4 yrs at Oregon the only only other ranked pac 12 team was Stanford in those 4 years and USC was ranked in two of the 4 but was facing sanctions at that time. He benefited from a weaker than normal pac 12. So I would say the jury was still out on Chip being able to win and recruit in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC. Beating up on average to bad pac 10 teams back then doesn't make him a great coach. He did get a few opportunities in those 4 years to plays the better teams from other conferences and he lost to Auburn and LSU then lost again to Ohio St..But did beat Wisc and Kan St. So you really have to look deeper than his record at Oregon and how bad the Pac 10 as a whole was. I definitely wouldn't put him in the upper tiers with guys like Saban, Meyer, Sweeney, Fisher. Would put him with or right below the Mark Richt, Les Miles, James Franklin, Harbough and Stoops.

Kelly would've given Saban a game with Dobbs and Kamara. That team was good enough to compete for a national title with a decent coach and jones couldn't win the east.

I wouldn't classify him as that yet. He hasn't been a HC for 10-15 yrs or consistently won for that amount of time. Yes he built on what Belotti started at Oregon but he's only been a college HC for 4 years. Winning in the pac 12 is one thing and let's face it his 4 yrs at Oregon the only only other ranked pac 12 team was Stanford in those 4 years and USC was ranked in two of the 4 but was facing sanctions at that time. He benefited from a weaker than normal pac 12. So I would say the jury was still out on Chip being able to win and recruit in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC. Beating up on average to bad pac 10 teams back then doesn't make him a great coach. He did get a few opportunities in those 4 years to plays the better teams from other conferences and he lost to Auburn and LSU then lost again to Ohio St..But did beat Wisc and Kan St. So you really have to look deeper than his record at Oregon and how bad the Pac 10 as a whole was. I definitely wouldn't put him in the upper tiers with guys like Saban, Meyer, Sweeney, Fisher. Would put him with or right below the Mark Richt, Les Miles, James Franklin, Harbough and Stoops.
Don’t know what your deal is with kelly but you spew the exact same opinion in nearly every thread. We hear your opinion and many of us don’t agree with you. He will win wherever he goes. I’ll screenshotbthis to discuss it in years to come.
I would love him to be here because there isn’t a better option available. I personally think he would kill it here!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back