Chris Weinke officilaly announced as running backs coach.

I don't get why so many people are struggling with the idea of a former QB coaching RBs. It's not really that odd.

A QB runs the offense on the field. A great QB is like an on-field Offensive Coordinator. An OC knows all the positions on offense. Chris Weinke was a great college QB; he won a Heisman and a national title. He was also a Head Coach (and likely de facto OC at IMG.)

You don't have to be a former RB to understand the RB position. Tee Martin has coached WRs even though he was a QB. The QB position is the toughest to coach, so that's one where experience and expertise are most important. RB is not as difficult to coach. It's a pretty good place to start out as a position coach, especially when you already have a great QB coach on staff.

I love the Weinke hire. And while there are still some question marks on the staff until we see the team in action, I like the staff Pruitt has put together much more than any offensive staff Butch Jones ever had. We'll have an upgrade at pretty much every position (no knock on Gillespie; I think Weinke will be just as good and has more long-term upside.)

Reactions: 3 people
Oh dude, that was cold.

But, well done.

Wasn't meant to be cold. In fact of the three we have had up for it, it has been argued Majors and Manning would have gotten it had they been at other schools. Regardless, hiring one as a coach is something media bias couldn't stop.

Reactions: 1 person
I really like this hire. Dude is a winner.
You best believe he won't just be coaching RBs, he'll have his hand in with the QBs. Dude has coached some great talent and his connections are top notch.

I see this as a part of a bigger move on Weinke's career. He may be trying to set himself up to be an OC because honestly, don't see him as a position coach for long.

Cupboard pretty bare at RB with Kelly’s surprise departure.

Not remotely. Chandler, Jordan, CFA and freshman Banks. Both Chandler and CFA showed excellent burst and ability to play at this level last year, Jordan flashed a bit with his limited opportunities and Banks is a big change of pace guy who, like a ton of freshman running backs, could contribute a lot in his first year. I personally think RB is arguably our best, deepest position group.

Reactions: 2 people
Good hire.

Took FSU to 3 straight NC games (not a pre-requisite....but), has worked with very accomplished QB's, coached 1-2 pre-madonnas at IMG, and I have a hunch that he understands a thing or two about blitz pick-up for a RB.

I think he will be fine!

Good hire.

Took FSU to 3 straight NC games (not a pre-requisite....but), has worked with very accomplished QB's, coached 1-2 pre-madonnas at IMG, and I have a hunch that he understands a thing or two about blitz pick-up for a RB.

I think he will be fine!

Are they Madonnas yet?

I thought the backs played well for Gillespie.

They did, he was an excellent position coach. But he was a very average recruiter. Running backs is arguably the easiest position to coach....it’s about getting naturally-gifted studs in recruiting first and foremost. And I’m convinced Weinke is a big upgrade recruiting -wise based on his contacts and background, which is what is needed here more than anything else imho.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m not questioning the hire and don’t claim to know anything about running a football program, but can someone please explain this to me. It just makes no sense at all to me. Weinke coaching running backs?

Coaching running backs isn't simply learning how to take a hand-off, learn the even-odd holes, and the gaps. There's a bit more to it such as reads, assignments, etc.

A good QB could almost coach any position on the field.

He has not aged well. Looks like he could be called “Grandpa.”

I’m sure he will do a great job though.

Unless he needs a nap and some prune juice.

He played a lot of MLB baseball before going to FSU and winning the Heisman at 28. Then he went to the NFL in the 4th round at 29 and played 7 years. He was a late bloomer....and time is passing quickly! He turned 43 quicker than most. Nevertheless, when you have a position coach that can actually coach well with a Heisman. That’s a good thing.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back