CKC on SECNETWORK

Not to distract from the discussion of classic cinema but CKC came across as poised and confident.

Her answer to the question about what she likes about K-Town--"uh, the people"-- translates as dude, I have been in my office, social media shoots and the training facility non-stop for four days.

But anyway, the offensive style -- faster pace, spread the floor three-point oriented is what i was screaming that Kellie needed to adopt in the 22-23 season to make better use of Justine P.

It is a style that should fit Spears well. It is a great system for Strickland who is a mobile, but undersized post who has shooting range.

Puckett and Darby have the shooting skill but will need to work a bit on the pacing i think. CKC may need one or two more shooters coming through the portal to fully implement this season.

This does seem like a total shift. She said she loves a mix of returners and portal. And in her system they are gonna be goingggg
What's the total shift? Pretty sure that's the goal of all coaches including the former staff. The key is being able to recruit both, which the former staff didn't do well. I don't think anyone over relies on older players by choice.
It is a style that should fit Spears well.
It will allow her to get up more 3s, but she'll have to pick up her speed on both offense and defense considerably.

Still getting a lot of coach speak from her right now which is all she can do. Hopefully she is planning to modify the type of play to her players. But until she gets her roster solidified and can get on the court with her players and see what she's got I don't think she can really give any kind of scheme details.

Agreed but the same holds for just about everyone on the current roster.
We will learn how much of their “laziness and slowness” we allowed by Kellie and her system…

(I never agreed with this sentiment I truly believe we looked “slow” due to our lack of ball handlers in the floor”

Reactions: Raebo
We will learn how much of their “laziness and slowness” we allowed by Kellie and her system…

(I never agreed with this sentiment I truly believe we looked “slow” due to our lack of ball handlers in the floor”

I felt like several of the players just looked flat out of shape this season.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and Ratvol
I felt like several of the players just looked flat out of shape this season.
Being in shape is on the players, they need to put the work in and watch their eating habits. But the coach knows what she has to do, she said she needs to go out and get athletes, and players that care about winning.

Last edited:
This continues to prove to be a very intriguing hire by DW. Coach Caldwell in my opinion is a darkhorse for SEC COY. She has the persona of a high level coach even early on in her coaching career. I’m not concerned with how the LVs will compete against teams like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Florida, etc. I’m not expecting the team to take any games off which was an issue in the past.

The media and public will hype Kentucky because of a player from VT and their new coach. Tennessee will play Kentucky the way they always have no matter who is on the sideline or in uniform. UT last games against VT were just at unfortunate times due to injury. Prior in 2021, UT went on the road and beat VT while holding AMoore to 12 pts in 35 mins. UT used ball pressure to hold VT to just 58 points which is a major strength in Coach Caldwell system.

LSU, SC better watch out for UT and Coach Caldwell. Once she starts to get some commitments this is going to be one of the hottest teams in WBB

Can we please not reframe every comment in the worst possible light?

I did not call any LV player "lazy" or even "slow" for that matter.

Can we at least agree that Kellie played a fairly deliberate style that seldom required players to really get up and down the floor at break neck speed?

So, given that fact, is it not a reasonable assessment that those returning players are going to have to pick up their tempo if CKC fully implements her system and that change in playing style will call for a different level of conditioning than we saw this season?

Last edited:
Can we please not reframe every comment in the worst possible light?

I did not call any LV player "lazy" or even "slow" for that matter.

Can we at least agree that Kellie played a fairly deliberate style that seldom required players to really get up and down the floor at break neck speed?

So, given that fact, is it not a reasonable assessment that those returning players are going to have to pick up their tempo if CKC fully implements her system and that change in playing style will call for a different level of conditioning than we saw this season?
I think this was probably meant for me. I used the term ‘Slow as molasses in winter’ to describe some of our players. I stand by that assessment. Prove me wrong.
Our next team will be in shape.

Go Lady Vols

no matter what you think about her experience level, she is definitely a charismatic confident person. and that really MATTERS in today's recruiting and NIL world. i do believe our fans will love and embrace her as other schools have in the past. i imagine our student section will get bigger as well.

Prior in 2021, UT went on the road and beat VT while holding AMoore to 12 pts in 35 mins. UT used ball pressure to hold VT to just 58 points which is a major strength in Coach Caldwell system.
In the 20-21 season, Georgia Amoore averaged 11.8 pts as a freshman.

So you're selling the idea that "holding" a player to a tick above her average is demonstrating a major strength of the new system?

VN Store

Back