Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei entering the transfer portal

That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't think being here should be enough to guarantee you a starting spot at Tennessee. I think it should be earned by performing. If Milton doesn't show some serious signs of improvement, I think next year could be very average. And it shouldn't because there will be weapons at RB and WR but this offense requires someone who can be accurate and have full command of the offense and understanding what the defense is trying to do. I feel Milton lacks in all of those areas.
Idk, I think Milton knows what he’s supposed to do and knows it quickly. The decisions he makes in the red zone are the right reads and right decisions. He just can’t execute. Again I think all of this is mental, it can be overcome.

I do think he’s had plenty of opportunity to overcome his struggles though. And I agree we need to have real competition at the position. We’ve got competition for the future in Nico, I just don’t know if I’m ready to put him out there as a true freshman. A viable backup that’s physically ready for SEC play right now would be my preference.

Reactions: Vol865
Idk, I think Milton knows what he’s supposed to do and knows it quickly. The decisions he makes in the red zone are the right reads and right decisions. He just can’t execute. Again I think all of this is mental, it can be overcome.

I do think he’s had plenty of opportunity to overcome his struggles though. And I agree we need to have real competition at the position. We’ve got competition for the future in Nico, I just don’t know if I’m ready to put him out there as a true freshman. A viable backup that’s physically ready for SEC play right now would be my preference.
He'll be good if he can figure it out. I hope he does but idk if it'll happen.

Which DP commercials? I know Bryce Young is in several but....

He was in them last year...when everyone assumed he was a can't miss, future #1 overall pick coming in to replace Lawrence...then after a few games DP was like "wait a minute....we may need to rethink this one"

Reactions: Jaingo
I think coach Heupel could have slowed it down for him. just look at the strides Hooker and Milton have made under his coaching.
Heupel's O is based on really fast decision making. He makes the reads as simple as possible. But a QB has to be decisive and quick. As good as Hooker was... hesitation still got him in trouble. UGA made him hesitate.

From what I read over his time at UT, different coaches and OC's tried just about everything there is to try. They split the field for him. They slowed things down. They spread the field. They bunched the receivers. Play action. Drop back. RPO. Roll out.

Nothing worked.

When a guy has a weak arm and can't cut it as an SEC QB, no one thinks you "hate" him when you say so. But somehow pointing out that JG's mental processing doesn't seem to work like it needs to for him to succeed as an SEC QB is "hating him"? It isn't. That is just an aspect of QB talent that he didn't have.

There are some indications unfortunately that Milton may suffer from the same thing to some degree. Hopefully not. We will see.

Reactions: Coddlecreek1
. And how do you know that exactly? There isn’t enough tape on Milton to suggest he’s any better than DJ. DJ stats weren’t horrible by any means this season 22 touchdowns to 7 ints. Milton will be pulled after the fourth game next season or sooner.

It’s going to be hilarious when Milton proves you wrong. DJ sucks.

DJ is a lot like Milton. Really good arm, can make all the throws, has all the physical skills, but just misses the easy throws. I am hopeful that 2 years of working with Milton we will see a much better QB next year.

If DJ finds a school with a good QB coach I think he might be able to succeed. I think Clemson isn’t a place to develop QBs.

That's the question I don't think a lot of Tennessee fans have answered in their heads. Was it Hooker, or was it the system?
The system can't throw the ball on time & accurately. But if the question is can Hooker play great like he did this year in some other type of system, then the answer is we don't know because we haven't seen it.

Reactions: Sarms58
I think alot of this discussion is null and void as I believe the expectation is that he returns out west and is a package deal with his brother whos finishing high school in California.

But I am interested in a 1 Year guy to compete with Milton, I like Milton and see alot of potential but the consistent inconsistency is concerning. Therefore I'm very interested in Brennan Armstrong from VA, and Sanders from OkSU, both would be great fits for this offense.

The system can't throw the ball on time & accurately. But if the question is can Hooker play great like he did this year in some other type of system, then the answer is we don't know because we haven't seen it.

Well, that's kinda the point bc we're talking @ replacing him with another QB. We have a different system than most w what seems to be a simplification for the QB on reads. I love HH, but I really hope for our sake that he's just a good and not great QB in reality. If we keep plugging / playing QBs going fwd and getting great results then we'll all be pumped.
Spurrier lined up top notch college QBs and had huge success @ UF. But, outside Grossman, not one of them planned out as even an NFL starter.
Hooker has been fantastic, but he came from rags to riches. CJH has so far improved QBs big time wherever he has gone. Here's to Milton following suit, then Nico, then @ 10 more in a row for the next 2 decades. Like Grossman, HS QBs will be banging out door down to get in here if CJH duplicates success a couple more times.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
So no improvement. But let’s take him. Makes sense. At least ours has been in our system for a few years.
That’s even worse. All these high talent guys reach a point of diminishing returns. Safe to assume that a guy who has been in the system a few years has already hit his ceiling. This is a six or seven win team without HH and we’re losing more talent than we’re bringing in for next year (at least so far). Any QB with potential to be elite is welcome.

VN Store

Back