Clocks will no longer stop after 1st downs except during final 2 minutes of a half

And you're kidding yourself if you think the runtimes will noticeably change.

The reason the runtimes are so long has literally nothing to do with brief first down clock stops and 100% to do with jackass networks execs at CBS and the like shoving ads in before every kickoff, after every kickoff, and in 90% of stoppages in play.

I don't disagree about the excessive ads, but you're placing blame on the wrong people. If the NCAA rights fees weren't what is essentially Monopoly money, the networks might not have to flood the games with ads the way they do now. The only way they can make a profit with the exorbitant fees the NCAA demands is to overload the broadcasts with ad after ad, and ads in between ads.

Not that they wouldn't necessarily do it anyway, but given the ridiculous money they are paying, the networks have no choice.

And you're kidding yourself if you think the runtimes will noticeably change.

The reason the runtimes are so long has literally nothing to do with brief first down clock stops and 100% to do with jackass networks execs at CBS and the like shoving ads in before every kickoff, after every kickoff, and in 90% of stoppages in play.

Exactly. The only ones getting screwed are the Fans. Less Football, MORE Commercials.

Don't pull the "you don't love football if you don't want to watch a 4 hour game." Nonsense. Maybe I want the games to be a reasonable time so that I can watch more games. A 4 hour game isn't good for anyone. Not the players health and damn sure not my blood pressure.

Totally agree on this. Football games should be 3 to 3 1/4 hours, not these all day marathons they have become.

Do away with instant replay except on scoring plays or turnovers and stop the fake injury nonsense and we would get 3-hour games without all the herky-jerky stoppages in play like we have now.

Nobody will even notice the rule change after the first week or two.

Agree. Leaving in during the last two minutes of the halves was smart, but this is a change that will be seamless by October.

Might be interesting. I could see where it could be a good advantage for our fast play offense. It could keep the pressure on opposing defensive teams not allowing them to catch their breaths or make "orderly subs". Will place a premium on defensive depth which we are building a good pace. Also having defensive guys able to play several positions with good intelligence could really help when not getting this "free" sub rule as has been there in the past.
IMHO, it will mean that virtually every team UT plays goes into "clock run" mode. Knowing the game has now been artificially shortened by 7 minutes, it will be much easier to just run the clock out and keep the game close while wearing out UT's D. Teams like UK are already trying to do this. This rule only makes that strategy more effective.

I am old enough to remember when a few coaches including Jimmy V with inferior rosters went into a "keep away" O in basketball from the start of the game. They had good ball handlers and just held the ball for 3 or 4 minutes at a time to prevent better teams from scoring. Eventually that led to the shot clock. But not before some REALLY bad games were played.

I honestly cannot understand why ANY football fan would favor this game or believe that we are getting too much actual football in the course of a football game. My only guess is they care more about the event than the sport... the drinking, tailgating, watch parties, et al. Not me. I love the game. I end every season wishing there was more. Every time I watch a replay I wish the game had been longer.

I don't like this rule but the Orange Blur Offense will be better prepared to deal with it than other teams with slower offenses! It might even confuse some defenses into blowing coverages.

IMHO, it will mean that virtually every team UT plays goes into "clock run" mode. Knowing the game has now been artificially shortened by 7 minutes, it will be much easier to just run the clock out and keep the game close while wearing out UT's D. Teams like UK are already trying to do this. This rule only makes that strategy more effective.

I don't see how the new rule will really impact the game like that. The play clock will just reset and start immediately with the running clock rather than resetting and waiting for the ref to signal ready for play. Either way, there is :40 to snap the ball from the exact same time on the clock.

I don't see how the new rule will really impact the game like that. The play clock will just reset and start immediately with the running clock rather than resetting and waiting for the ref to signal ready for play. Either way, there is :40 to snap the ball from the exact same time on the clock.
The average game will have around 40 1st downs. I don't know the exact time it takes to set the ball and start the clock but 9 to 10 seconds on average isn't unreasonable. That's also when the play clock starts. At 9 seconds and 40 1st downs then you get to 6 minutes. Forty times 10 is just shy of 7 minutes. Shorter game. Less plays.

The average game will have around 40 1st downs. I don't know the exact time it takes to set the ball and start the clock but 9 to 10 seconds on average isn't unreasonable. That's also when the play clock starts. At 9 seconds and 40 1st downs then you get to 6 minutes. Forty times 10 is just shy of 7 minutes. Shorter game. Less plays.
Definitely a few less plays (though your math is off because some 1st downs will be under 2 minutes or on out of bounds plays where the old ready to play rules apply). Realistically, most teams will probably run 5-7 less plays. NFL teams are running about 65 plays/game without the 2 minute 1st down rules.

Definitely a few less plays (though your math is off because some 1st downs will be under 2 minutes or on out of bounds plays where the old ready to play rules apply). Realistically, most teams will probably run 5-7 less plays. NFL teams are running about 65 plays/game without the 2 minute 1st down rules.
As a fan, I don't want less plays. If anything I'd like more. As a player, that's about 10% less opportunities to get on the field. There's no game or player benefit to this. But I would bet that the commercial timeouts will be extended by as much or more time as is saved by this move. Sort of like when candy bar prices stayed the same and became about 20% smaller.

Totally agree on this. Football games should be 3 to 3 1/4 hours, not these all day marathons they have become.

Do away with instant replay except on scoring plays or turnovers and stop the fake injury nonsense and we would get 3-hour games without all the herky-jerky stoppages in play like we have now.
I think they’ll be more fake injuries now. Coaches will do whatever they have to.

There will be less football plays but the time a game takes to play will not change drastically. If that is what you Are asking. Less football plays does not mean game time will be less by a lot.
Exactly. Shorten the darn timeouts. This is a horrible change.

There's no game or player benefit to this.
It’s always about the $$$. They want to add games and expand the CFP. This is a way to cut back on injury exposure while potentially having some players play extra games.

I think it is great for the game. How will it allow for more commercials? They are not increasing the amount of TO's per team. If the other team wants to walk to the LOS, then let them and it will allow for us to set up the D. However, we won't be walking to the LOS on offense, so no real change there. Stopping the clock with 14 minutes to go in the 1st Qtr. for a first down never made a lot of sense to me.
It will make far fewer plays per game. It won't be out of the question for there to be quarters in which we get 0 or 1 offensive possession. Teams can easily run off 12 minutes or more per possession.

Maybe I am missing something, but I think this is GREAT for us. We run plays rapid-fire and are almost never deep in the play clock. It seems to me that all this will do is reduce the opportunities for opposing teams' offenses to regroup. I believe that this helps us.

Reactions: PetrosBoy
It will make far fewer plays per game. It won't be out of the question for there to be quarters in which we get 0 or 1 offensive possession. Teams can easily run off 12 minutes or more per possession.
12 minutes per possession isn’t going to remotely happen.

12 minutes per possession isn’t going to remotely happen.
Happens all the time in the NFL. I'm pretty sure Kentucky had a 12+ minute possession against us two years ago with the current rules. That will now be 14 to 15 minutes. I just love watching this offense, and I hate it that they'll get significantly fewer possessions with these changes.

There were literally no 12 minute drives in the NFL in 2022.
I can't debate that because I don't watch NFL any more. And that is one of the primary reasons. It happened all the time when I watched during PM's days with the Colts and Broncos. I used to get so frustrated watching Peyton sit on the sidelines while the other team ran off almost an entire quarter with a single possession. Of course, I realize if the defense can get stops, that negates those circumstances. So I'll hope for more 3 and outs.

VN Store

Back