Coach Ek and Special Teams the last 3 years...

TAF

Oh Yeah...I mean it!
GDBMgZgXMAAlEIA

I would imagine return yards are trending down in all of college football. With fair catches on kickoffs and punters now holding the ball that extra second or two before punting, it makes returning kicks that much more difficult.

I’d like to double check that 23 yards allowed. Is that just for punts? Iowa took one probably about 15-20 yards just last game.

I’d like to double check that 23 yards allowed. Is that just for punts? Iowa took one probably about 15-20 yards just last game.
It is just for punts; does not include kickoffs, such as Iowa's 23yd kickoff return.

Here's a clip from the NCAA stats page for team punt defense. For 2023, the Vols allowed 4 yds in punt returns.

1704398299953.png

I would imagine return yards are trending down in all of college football. With fair catches on kickoffs and punters now holding the ball that extra second or two before punting, it makes returning kicks that much more difficult.
True. On the other hand Dee racked up a bunch of big returns off punts. And Boo will do the same if we put him back there

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
It is just for punts; does not include kickoffs, such as Iowa's 23yd kickoff return.

Here's a clip from the NCAA stats page for team punt defense. For 2023, the Vols allowed 4 yds in punt returns.

View attachment 607373
We punted right before the half, and it bounced right into the Hawkeye returners hands. He took it about 15 yards if I remember right. So I’m guessing we have a bunch of punts where the returner got negative yardage? Go to 1:04:09 seconds in the game video

Edit: Called back for holding. Missed that when I watched it live.

Reactions: Shades
We punted right before the half, and it bounced right into the Hawkeye returners hands. He took it about 15 yards if I remember right. So I’m guessing we have a bunch of punts where the returner got negative yardage? Go to 1:04:09 seconds in the game video

Edit: Called back for holding. Missed that when I watched it live.

We were #1 in the country in punt return yards allowed at about 1yd average!

Reactions: LittleVol
Special teams have been good.I’d like to see us set up more returns than going for a block on punt returns especially with a returner like Dee Williams.Everything he got he did it not by design.

Special teams have been good.I’d like to see us set up more returns than going for a block on punt returns especially with a returner like Dee Williams.Everything he got he did it not by design.
I'm going to have to see a source to substantiate that statement.

VN Store

Back