Coach Jeremy Pruitt's attitude

Pruitt is old school-fundamentals and sound football- a perfectionist similar to Saban. He will never use cliches like Butch, Mike Tomlin (yes I am a huge Steelers fan), etc. and discuss the resiliency of the team. I’m sure he is happy w the win yet disappointed that the team continues to make stupid penalties and turnovers late in the game.

Go Vols!

For the record, Saban is a regular and liberal user of "resiliency" and "the process."

I totally agree with you and I hope for his children's sakes he is more encouraging at home as a father. Some may see it as tough love, but coming from a psychological standpoint, to never give praise when praise is due is not how you get the best performance out of someone.

You have no idea what he said to the players so this is speculation. Your team is what you accept and while we won we made a ton of errors. He simply told the truth.

Did anyone watch the postgame interview right after the game? Even with a big win like this which gets us bowl eligible, JG has a big passing game, 3 100 yard receivers...CJP is still so negative and the only thing he could say is the team didn't play smart and he just focused on all the negative aspects. Even the interviewer sarcastically had to get CJP to acknowledge all the good that happened in thus game...even after this, CJP still just focused on all the mistakes and couldn't enjoy the positives!! I think he should lighten up a little bit. Take some cues from positive coaches like PJ Fleck for example
The win was great but we should have won by at least 17 points. Concur with Pruitt.

Did anyone watch the postgame interview right after the game? Even with a big win like this which gets us bowl eligible, JG has a big passing game, 3 100 yard receivers...CJP is still so negative and the only thing he could say is the team didn't play smart and he just focused on all the negative aspects. Even the interviewer sarcastically had to get CJP to acknowledge all the good that happened in thus game...even after this, CJP still just focused on all the mistakes and couldn't enjoy the positives!! I think he should lighten up a little bit. Take some cues from positive coaches like PJ Fleck for example

I gotta say I came away with the same attitude JP had. I felt that I was thrilled that we won and that we were Bowl eligible but I also felt like it shouldn't have been that close. I felt like we outplayed them more than 24-20 indicated. We controlled both lines of scrimmage. Our receivers owned their DBs. It should have been more than a 4 pt win.

He's a football coach, He's never going to be happy...Get used to it...What do you want him to do backflips and praise the lord everytime he wins a game?...Geez

I’m being completely serious. We won but we played like trash in some spots and absolutely almost pissed the game away. Fans only look at wins and losses. Coaches look at getting the most out of their team and it wasnt good outside of JG and the WRs for the most part.

Remember this is the same guy that said and 0 and 2 team was 100 times better than last year. I think he knows what he's doing.

That's actually not the "only" thing he said. He also didn't focus only on the negative. You're being over-dramatic.

Here is the transcript of what was said:

"Coach, you're going bowling how does it feel?"

Pruitt-"Well, I'm glad we won. We messed up a bunch of things tonight that we gotta fix. I'm excited for our kids, they found a way to win. Which is very important."

Then the guy interrupts him, talking about how JG played really well and how they played their butts off for him.

Pruitt-"They did, we just gotta play smart though." as he smiles,"Get two field goals blocked, fumble down here where we can seal the game." (That last bit was hard to make out, but I think that's what he said.) "Our kids played with great effort all year. All year. We gotta play a little smarter.".

Then goes on to talk about the turning point of the season. Then says that we did a lot of really good things, it's just that we did make some mistakes that kept Missouri in the game.

I think if anything, you only heard the negative. You made it seem like all he had to say was negative, when in fact that's not true. If anyone really has a problem with what he said, then they're better off not opening their mouths about it. Because you're not thinking about it from the point of view of a coach. Pruitt is a serious guy and furthermore talking from the perspective of a coach. A coach who isn't going to just say what people want to hear. It's his job to worry about the mistakes and fine tuning his team. To focus on what he saw they can improve upon. He does say nice things about the team all the time. But of course he's going to point out the bad things as well. And quite frankly he's right about it. We did play pretty well, but we did only win by 4 points. We did make plenty of mistakes that kept Missouri in the game. Do you have a problem with the truth or something? Nevermind, it's clear you're not going to answer that since you seem to have disappeared since you made this stupid post.

There were critical and costly HUGE mistakes in the kicking game. Not just with the blocked FGs, but with field position in general. They were uncharacteristically awful in the kicking game all night. If Missouri makes one more play, they win the game. It really came down to that. No real coach would be satisfied with that at all.
Kicking game was wretched. Is Paxton injured? Earlier in the season he was booming punts but lately he's been ineffective & weak.:(

We are still climbing the mountain and have a ways to go and Coach was not satisfied with the performance. I promise you he was tickled with the win, but not happy with all the mistakes that were made from players and coaches.
Think about all the successful coaches (Saban, Bilicheck...etc) and that is their demeanor most of the time. #1 concern is to win and run a great program.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
That's called being a football coach. You have to set the tone for the team and make sure their mind is right for the next one. He understands the standard isn't beating Missouri by 4 and being 7-5.

I love it. Never satisfied. We’ve had enough of coaches who jump around and hoop and holler like they just won the super bowl. Apparently the players like it too. They are playing tougher and have turned the season around.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
For the record, Saban is a regular and liberal user of "resiliency" and "the process."

Except he doesn't just say those things. His teams actually do these things and are COACHED properly. He wins and actually knows what he's talking about and believes it.

He doesn't just talk......like someone else we know does......

wtf..come on man..football is not a fly fishing game..get real.
character flaws?..really wtf
Yes, he is a perfectionist, and that is what happens, I love CJP, I would caution him about sideline events like that, it could evolve into something bigger....imo, it's ok to disagree with me, that is my opinion.

He learned from Saban. You cannot allow complacency. That was a good win, but in no way a clean win. You have got to keep the kids focused.

I totally approve of CJPs approach here. Correct often, praise sparingly.
Got to keep the rat poison out with the state championship game next week. After a 5 game win streak and being bowl eligible to me don't matter if they don't go out and kick Candy's azz.

I see a guy who holds people accountable and to a high standard. Yes, he's happy to get the win, but the reason this team has improved so much since Georgia State is because he does hold people accountable, and he does demand that they fix mistakes. And he doesn't throw people under the bus--the first thing he said after Georgia State was that they outcoached Tennessee. He held himself as accountable as he does his players, and that's why they have bought in and kept working hard to get better.

The jury is still out on whether Pruitt will get Tennessee back to the top of the SEC, but he's doing nothing wrong in demanding excellence from everyone in the program. Ever noticed how Pruitt's old boss does the same thing? Bama will beat someone 50-0 and Saban will talk about what they did wrong, because it might not matter against a cupcake, but it will matter against LSU or Auburn.

I totally agree with you and I hope for his children's sakes he is more encouraging at home as a father. Some may see it as tough love, but coming from a psychological standpoint, to never give praise when praise is due is not how you get the best performance out of someone.
Do you honestly think he doesn’t once they are in the locker room? He is a blue collar no nonsense coach. The players love him and understand he wants them to be the absolute cream of the crop.

A good coach is always coaching. He acknowledges his players. He doesn’t need to lighten up, he needs to keep coaching.

Trophies for everyone

I like how Pruitt responded. He was right, we screwed up a lot. There is always room for improvement. Nothing wrong with stating that honestly imo.
Exactly. This is how championship coaches talk. Listen to a Saban interview sometime.

VN Store

Back