Coach Kellie Harper fired

However it is replacing this coaching staff good freaking luck. One signee for the 2024 class, who can already enter the portal. Could be 8 potential player’s returning or less. With only one committe Nyla for ‘25. Then the roster goes down to only have 4 players on the roster. Even Holly didn’t have us this scarce in recruiting.
Nyla won’t be coming.

Or he knew exactly what she would do and made a political and public relations move before executing his plan.
DW could not have "known" in the precise sense what Kellie would decide, although I have suggested (above) that he all but certainly had thought through how to proceed in either instance. (And there were probably a series of matters to determine, not only the one.)

But even if, being omniscient, he did know the future, that wouldn't make her choice any less her choice. Some of these takes are strange.

And who would want an AD so discombobulated and unprofessional as to fail to precede in a public matter of importance in a politic and prudent way? Especially when something as important as a major program and brand like the LVs is at stake. Now you're faulting DW for doing his job thoughtfully and skillfully.

Last edited:
Agree, which is why I'm shocked if he doesn't have a home run hire lined up that he's just waiting a decent amt of time to announce. Because if he doesn't, his ability to make a huge hire is really constrained by time and by who's available right now. Has to get it done very quickly w the portal, etc.
White is the best, he has his coach already, no doubt here. He understands the importance of the LV program to both UT fans and the nation in general, he wants to restore greatness and won’t settle. It was a very tough move, but he isn’t in the job for anything less than an attempt at the best.

Yet never made it past the Sweet 16...
I also don't get the "roster was improving" statement. Next year looked like it was going to be horrendous by even KJH standards and not a lot in the pipeline save for a player that is in 9th grade, so far enough out that it doesn't give any near to medium term benefit. (Nyla Brooks might bolt, but with the right hire you preserve that commitment or move on elsewhere).

Social media is kinda torn between this decision. i see tons of hate for firing her and then some giving DW credit. This could either be rlly good for this program or be horrible.
On par with sample poll here. Advantage those wanting to move in a different direction. All programs are thriving except the one who helped put women’s sports on the big stage.

Oh yeah since he had such a great season
Ya hes losing his momentum a bit , he can bring players in but he cannot seem to create a winning chemistry that makes them stay . Sounds a bit like Brenda freese the mens version imo. They should not be front runners for the job at this moment after these last few seasons and the direction NIL has went.

My last post for the day on this topic but I am shocked by MMC's report that Kellie could have stayed if she had agreed to hiring a new assistant (and it is easy to infer who White wanted to replace).

So, Kellie reportedly had the option to stay in her dream job, with a much improved NIL situation on the way, promising recruits in the pipeline, a good core of players returning, the prospect of the portal to buttress the line-up AND the resources to hire a great new assistant.

And she said no!!

That inexplicable decision reflects the way too stubborn, "I don't like change Kellie". It puts this entire situation in a different light. Her stubbornness puts the program in a real bind. White does not make such a conciliatory offer to Kellie if he has a "home run" replacement lined up.

He must be in scramble mode and shaking his head in disbelief over Kellie's response.
I have read all of the articles posted and I did not see anything about Kellie being give an offer to stay but she had to part ways with her staff/husband as assistant coach and she refused?? Can you point me to where it says that?

On par with sample poll here. Advantage those wanting to move in a different direction. All programs are thriving except the one who helped put women’s sports on the big stage.
It’s only an advantage if we get a better coach. If not it was pointless and will put us even further back. He better make a home run hire.

Fudd is correct. We have really put ourselves in a tough spot. Getting a top tier coach now will require a very big salary jump, a significant (top3) NIL game and a buyout that will make your eyes water. Not saying we can’t do it but I am afraid this time next week some will be saying “Yayyy we got rid of Kellie and we got…….. wait, who?”
A really successful coach at a P5 program would be stupid to come here without all of the above.
That is utterly ridiculous.

"What must be done eventually, should be done immediately."

-- Florida Athletic Director, Jeremy Foley, on his decision to fire head football coach Ron Zook, in 2004. Foley replaced Zook with Urban Meyer, who won 2 National Championships in the ensuing 4 seasons at Florida.

Kellie Harper was never going to consistently win here. She was given a fair chance. There is nothing out of the ordinary about firing a head coach after 5 seasons. Tennessee is not in a tough spot. We have an Athletic Director who will not limit his coaching search to just former Lady Vol players.

Sorry, your feelings are hurt over this, but Kellie Harper wasn't treated unfairly. She can go back to coaching at a mid-major school now ... where she belongs.

I have read all of the articles posted and I did not see anything about Kellie being give an offer to stay but she had to part ways with her staff/husband as assistant coach and she refused?? Can you point me to where it says that?
never read that neither , those are kellie supporters trying to suffice her firing .

Reactions: dazzleme
That is utterly ridiculous.

"What must be done eventually, should be done immediately."

-- Florida Athletic Director, Jeremy Foley, on his decision to fire head football coach Ron Zook, in 2004. Foley replaced Zook with Urban Meyer, who won 2 National Championships in the ensuing 4 seasons at Florida.

Kellie Harper was never going to consistently win here. She was given a fair chance. There is nothing out of the ordinary about firing a head coach after 5 seasons. Tennessee is not in a tough spot. We have an Athletic Director who will not limit his coaching search to just former Lady Vol players.

Sorry, your feelings are hurt over this, but Kellie Harper wasn't treated unfairly. She can go back to coaching at a mid-major school now ... where she belongs.
Kellie showed her max potential she was never going to be successful because she was never going to be a national championship coach nor recruit at an elite level . She had her opportunities and got passed up , don't blame the program standards expectations on the coaches inabilities. If that's the case why did she even apply if she knew she could not deliver ?

Reactions: POLOinDC

It’s the article by Maria Cornelius so take or leave it. She’s a Lady Vol homer/fan who has a tough time with objectivity.

Doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility and if anyone was going to have that scoop it is indeed probably her. Only one uncouth enough to ask Kellie about it today I’m sure.

Would screen shot and post here but she tends to lose her mind if you share her content on VolNation. She hates this place because she can’t rule it with an iron first and orange tinted glasses.

It’s only an advantage if we get a better coach. If not it was pointless and will put us even further back. He better make a home run hire.
It’s already an advantage as we don’t have to see the program in further decline under yesterdays leadership. This is a new start to regain position in WBB, recruiting and NIL.

It’s the article by Maria Cornelius so take or leave it. She’s a Lady Vol homer/fan who has a tough time with objectivity.

Doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility and if anyone was going to have that scoop it is indeed probably her. Only one uncouth enough to ask Kellie about it today I’m sure.
I read her article. Absolutely nothing there about Kellie given offers or ultimatums regarding her husband/staff. ZERO.

VN Store

Back