Coach Kellie Harper fired

Dawn Staley. Period. Pay her whatever she wants. If she is too comfortable it is what it is, but money and the chance to coach at the greatest women’s basketball program of all time speaks. I’d give it all I could to get her here.

I’m still not sure she’s a great coach, and I don’t believe Juju would leave USC regardless of the coach. She’s always wanted to be there in Los Angeles and be the star. She doesn’t want to leave LA and doesn’t think any coach can make her better. NIL is also not a concern for her.
Would Kennedy Smith come?

Social media is kinda torn between this decision. i see tons of hate for firing her and then some giving DW credit. This could either be rlly good for this program or be horrible.

She needed to go. People that hate this don’t care about this program.

Reactions: Rons1989 and TimR
So interesting that we read "staff changeS" immediately as Jon. And that's the big problem with any kind of nepotism - it's an immediate grievance magnet, whether warrented or not. It was long ago decided with zero evidence on this board that if there was a problem w assistants, it must be Jon.

To me, it makes more sense that it was Sam, since we've also already heard that recruiting was the main problem. Seems like the AD would have already known Jon and Kellie were a package deal and never offered that as an option. Also could be more than one change the AD was after.

Whatever, KJH did the right and noble thing by refusing. Shuffling deck chairs again after two years would not have been it.
What is everyone talking about regarding offers of her keeping her job if she ditches the husband? Read every article and that is just not there.

It’s only an advantage if we get a better coach. If not it was pointless and will put us even further back. He better make a home run hire.

I'm convinced that White will do whatever it takes to make the right, impactful hire for the program. I don't think he can play around with anything short of an impact hire.

Time will tell. But standing pat on where we are right now for another season was pretty clearly out given the body of evidence against KJH with her recruiting and development.

Nyla won’t be coming.
You don't know that. She hasn't spoken with the new coach. Surely you don't allege that Kellie would advise Nyla anything other than that she should meet the new coach. Do you really think the recruit will refuse the new coach's phone calls? Maybe you underestimate the possibility that this could be force for positive change and yield a recruiting bump. And I say this with no disrespect to LVFL Kellie to whom everyone is grateful, twice over.

I would set your mind at rest on that point, if I can. I don't think we can safely conclude from MMC's article that DW is or "must be" in "scramble mode" or that he does not have someone or some few in mind.

I suspect DW always has a basic list at-hand -- on an ongoing basis and for every program -- as a simple matter of prudence. He likely had particular assistants in mind, too. Finally, it would have been terribly imprudent for DW -- a person known for prudence -- to have broached a discussion of a "path" toward a resolution without first having carefully thought out and prepared for either response from Kellie.

We are not told by MMC's article that it was simple "take it or leave it" offer. A "path" sounds like one in a series of matters to be agreed to.

At any rate, this is not an dumpster fire. This is a huge opportunity for the program to reset. And new coaches — when welcomed and enthusiatically supported — have the future to sell without the baggage of the recent past. They often create a recruiting "bump" for their programs.

And Kellie, of course, is a true LVFL and should always be honored as such. She gave her all for Tennessee. Twice.
Edited to reflect new and more accurate information

Last edited:
Reactions: brittannica
I read her article. Absolutely nothing there about Kellie given offers or ultimatums regarding her husband/staff. ZERO.

In typical Maria fashion she has edited the article. Shocking lol. That’s par for the course with her though.

When it was originally published it included a blurb from White that Harper was given the opportunity to move forward with the program if specific changes were made to the staff.

I’m guessing White/Harper did not want that shared so it has now been removed.

Her whole career was a series of unfortunate events, some definitely her fault, many others not. From covid to coaches leaving to coaches with life threatening illnesses, to coaches who brought in the Hayes plague, to personal issues to serious injury, Rickea's career has been a movie. And through the whole thing, she just kept scoring.

I feel the same when I watch the other "All Americans". She's as good or better than every single one. But so much of that isn't actually based on who's the best player. She'll be drafted high of course, but will be on a truly crappy team for a while. But hopefully someday she'll actually be able to experience winning something.
Playing on a subpar team, she could easily have been pouty with a bad attitude. I never saw anything but support from her for her much less talented teammates. I believe this will help her draft stock as much as anything. Everyone knows she has talent galore but she also proved to be a great teammate who conducted herself with class, much different than some of her counterparts from other teams.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Most of you on here who are happy, I can guarantee will more than likely be underwhelmed with the hire. None of the very successful coaches are leaving where they are to come to Tennessee. I could be wrong but suspect this will be an up-and-coming coach.

Reactions: Rixxx and Lucy
When should it have happened?

For months people have said no way it would happen before season over.

Now it didn’t happened quick enough?

Had he fired her last Tuesday morning people would have called him an idiot for not saving the 1.1 million in buyout for waiting another week.

I just don’t understand some comments….
Last week, maybe we would have a coach by now and could get some portal players.

Dawn Staley. Period. Pay her whatever she wants. If she is too comfortable it is what it is, but money and the chance to coach at the greatest women’s basketball program of all time speaks. I’d give it all I could to get her here.

Why would she? She has turned SC into just that.

So interesting that we read "staff changeS" immediately as Jon. And that's the big problem with any kind of nepotism - it's an immediate grievance magnet, whether warrented or not. It was long ago decided with zero evidence on this board that if there was a problem w assistants, it must be Jon.

It was a problem. Duplicate position coach who doesn’t recruit. Had he pumped out All-Americans since NC St. and don’t recruit then that would help his cause.

Kellie was too nice. There was no edge to her like you see with the great coaches like Staley, Mulkey and Geno. No attitude w Kellie. She looks cute...acts nice etc etc but that's not what the program needs.

I hate it for Harper but can’t blame our AD five years and things aren’t looking any better. We need a fresh face, somebody hungry that wants to build back a historic program with plenty of resources. GBO

Reactions: mcannon1
Doesn't this imply she knew about this ahead of time? Not suggesting anything untoward, just suggesting she didn't hear this today and threw this together, it would take some time to research and compile.
Today was the day that Kellie's buyout dropped significantly. A lot of people expected that if there were to be a change, it would happen on or shortly after the 1st. It's been mentioned here.

What is everyone talking about regarding offers of her keeping her job if she ditches the husband? Read every article and that is just not there.
It’s literally in the Maria article. Like the first or second paragraph. It doesn’t specifically state it’s Jon, but it refers to staff changes and we all deduced/speculated that it could be Jon.

Thats the only way i want Gottlieb lol because outside of California and the Ivy league im not so sure she can recruit that well neither. Being in LA with NIL definitely helped her land JUJU
I also don't get the "roster was improving" statement. Next year looked like it was going to be horrendous by even KJH standards and not a lot in the pipeline save for a player that is in 9th grade, so far enough out that it doesn't give any near to medium term benefit. (Nyla Brooks might bolt, but with the right hire you preserve that commitment or move on elsewhere).
You're saying this like Elite Players grow on trees.

Time will tell.

It is comforting to believe that White has a master plan with clearly defined options a, b,, c, d.....z and a Dr. Strange-like ability to anticipate all possible future outcomes and choose the one path that leads to ultimate victory.

Conversely, it is possible, and perhaps more likely, that women's basketball was not on his central radar screen and, under some intensified pressure to take action after the NCST loss, he was hoping to salvage Kellie's situation to avoid having to invest a lot more resources at a very late date.

If you really have the better replacement, you don't offer the existing a path forward and hope she declines.

SNAFUS happen....
Since we're all crazy speculating, if DW did offer a "path forward" which meant he dictated change of assistants, KJH probably correctly interpreted that as a loss of control of the program to the AD that was going to continue to creep forward next year. In my fan fiction, KJH heroically declined that prolonged painful path for the good of the program and for her own sanity. One thing I begrudged Holly was hanging on for dear life and having to be drug away kicking and screaming. KJH thankfully decided not to do that. And her assistants were apparently getting fired either way.

Truly disappointed with this decision. Kellie deserved at least one more year. She is a class act and brought in a team of exemplary student athletes. I never worried about how Kellie, her staff or the team would represent my alma mater.

DW has shown himself to be weak and subject to which way the wind blows. He brought in a baseball coach that is an embarrassment to the university. That program is now known for vulgarity, poor sportsmanship and generally being a bunch of punks. I am tremendously concerned that the tradition Pat established of a national contender AND a class program is headed for the ash heap.

Just very sorry for a good person, good coach who has been treated unfairly by someone who isn’t even a member of the UT family.

I will continue to support the Lady Vols through thick and thin. I will hope for a new coach we can be proud of but now have significant doubts about DW’s judgment. A very sad day for UT WBB.
Holy smokes, you are serious? Wow.

Reactions: JCP201
I'm convinced that White will do whatever it takes to make the right, impactful hire for the program. I don't think he can play around with anything short of an impact hire.

Time will tell. But standing pat on where we are right now for another season was pretty clearly out given the body of evidence against KJH with her recruiting and development.
White is smart guy. He sees the women’s game growing exponentially, it’s time for UT to get back to their place in the game before it slips much further, I thought CKH would get one more year, but I believe the HS recruiting aspect played a huge role along with other teams in the conference investing more heavily lately. I understand his decision, but man, that was a tough decision. He has decided to start investing apparently.

VN Store

Back