Coaching Carousel in Hindsight, turned into.. something else

Off topic but I really don't agree with this. Gruden in my humble opinion should not be forced to resign because of something he said or emailed 10 years ago. I think this is really unfair because when this happened he didn't have this job.

:rolleyes: Sounds like somebody is worried about some of their own old emails.

Reactions: weirdfishes
Joe Biden opposed racial integration: "I don't want my kids growing up in a racial jungle" - celebrated by the Media. Some say he was elected President.
Gruden fried by media and cancelled by the woke NFL.

My favorite Bidenism.

In-case-some-forgot-how-Joe-Biden-described-storybook-Barack-Obama-in-2007.jpg

He's referring to Obama

You shouldn't have to be told to be a good person, but people need to know that email is forever.

I remember when my company first got email (yeah I'm old) and I asked "how do you use this stuff?" And I was given what turned out to be great advice:

Don't type anything you would be ashamed of if it was put up on a screen in a courtroom while your coworkers, friends, family and jurors looked at it.
And always assume you're on camera.

disability don’t check old emails do they?

Anyone know how to delete history from like years ago?

As you're purging your history, make sure that you get rid of all evidence that you ever laughed at the "homophobic" jokes on Three's Company. I'd hate for the woke police to erase you when a search of your garage finds a VCR tape from 1981 with an episode of Jack's and Chrissie's hate crimes on it.

The only head coach that we missed on that I think would have taken the job and done well is Gary Patterson. I know TCU has been a bit down these past few years but we're talking about 2008. I think at that time with Tennessee's roster he would have had success. Of course in hindsight, literally anyone other than a coach who stayed 1 season and left 2 weeks before signing day would have been an improvement.

"Tennessee didn't think I could handle the big stage," Patterson said. "My wife and I went to dinner with them, and I could tell they had already decided on Kiffin. It was the same with Nebraska. I interviewed and could tell they had already decided on Pelini. I think a lot of these ADs now are more interesting in hiring guys who're going to win the podium than they are in hiring football coaches, and there's a lot more to it than that if you're going to win championships."

Patterson smiled when asked whether he would have taken either the Tennessee or Nebraska job had he been offered.

"It's sort of like the old Garth Brooks song. Sometimes the best prayers are unanswered prayers," Patterson said."

E-mails, like almost everything on the internet, are forever. "Delete" doesn't mean data is gone if it has been shared. In fact, delete doesn't necessarily mean data is gone even on your own computer.

Don't send anything that you aren't willing to live with forever into the future. And realize that what you "meant" today may be viewed very differently 10 or 20 years from now when interpreted by people using 20/20 hindsight along with different mores.

Reactions: AM64 and Volatility
Lets worry about if Heupel is the right coach after the season, too early to tell at this point. The last couple of weeks have been exciting and the UT fanbase needed that to offset the serious infection of BVS. Lets see how he coaches against the meat of the schedule the next 4 weeks. I like what I have seen, but I am not ready to go all in quite yet......

Reactions: AM64
The only head coach that we missed on that I think would have taken the job and done well is Gary Patterson. I know TCU has been a bit down these past few years but we're talking about 2008. I think at that time with Tennessee's roster he would have had success. Of course in hindsight, literally anyone other than a coach who stayed 1 season and left 2 weeks before signing day would have been an improvement.

"Tennessee didn't think I could handle the big stage," Patterson said. "My wife and I went to dinner with them, and I could tell they had already decided on Kiffin. It was the same with Nebraska. I interviewed and could tell they had already decided on Pelini. I think a lot of these ADs now are more interesting in hiring guys who're going to win the podium than they are in hiring football coaches, and there's a lot more to it than that if you're going to win championships."

Patterson smiled when asked whether he would have taken either the Tennessee or Nebraska job had he been offered.

"It's sort of like the old Garth Brooks song. Sometimes the best prayers are unanswered prayers," Patterson said."

Great post and one I completely agree with. Patterson should have been the target, not Kiffin.

Reactions: Volatility
He gets a time out.

Is this unreasonable? These things come out, as they have for many people, and those people lose their jobs....... and can come back after awhile.

REPEATEDLY we've seen folks suggest Hugh Freeze has "changed" and "learned" and apparently Liberty University felt that was true.

Gruden gets the same chance.

Freeze was fired for wrongdoing when he got caught, not a decade later while working for someone else…..

Gruden shouldn’t be given a pass but you can move past this without setting a franchise on fire. Or at least you could without the hypocrites in the media pouring gas on the situation.

Reactions: AM64
You’re right that you haven’t said anything hurtful. What you’re doing is saying it’s fine for Gruden to behave the way he did by allowing him to keep his job.

You didn’t have to say it. You just showed your true colors with a simple statement…in writing…like your boy, Gruden.
You sound like you might be a good candidate for the new Thought Purity Czar position. You will, of course, need to pass a polygraph to ensure that you never engaged in, or tacitly approved by lack of opposition, any demeaning behavior to include inappropriate thoughts or comments about any groups of people to include their physical appearance or attributes (fat, skinny, short, tall, light, dark, bald, attire choices, anti-male, anti-female, etc), their religious convictions (to include any anti-Scientology, anti-Mormon, anti-Pentacostal, anti-Muslim, anti-Hindu, anti-atheist, anti-Catholic, etc), their cultural or nationalistic attributes (anti-redneck, anti-southern, anti-hippy, anti-new age, anti-yankee, anti-Canadian, anti-Russian, anti-Chinese, anti-French, etc), their political beliefs that are ad hominem (anti-Democrat, anti-Republican, anti-Trump, anti-Obama, anti-Larouche), their job choices (anti-lawyer, anti-carpenter, anti-plumber, anti-call support, etc), their sexual orientation and proclivities (gay, transgender, straight, all the letters that I don't even know what they stand for, anti- foot fetish, anti- dress up like a possum, anti-bondage, etc), their socioeconomic status (anti-rich, anti-poor), and any other categories that are now or in the future deemed to be inappropriate to include veganism/animal rights, tobacco usage, alcohol/drug usage, driving fossil fuel machines, etc. Keep in mind that the standard is not whether you are malicious or think something is inappropriate, but rather whether someone else is offended by your word or actions. If you get the job, great. Keep in mind, though, that there is no statute of limitations on thought crimes, and failure of the polygraph test will require you to be ostracized by society and be unemployable.

Clearly, Gruden holds some ideas that are cringe worthy to most of us. The racist comments, the unnecessary slurs, etc. He seems like he is stuck culturally in a different era or is practicing to play Andrew Dice Clay in a made-for-tv movie.
But you purity Pharisees represent a more significant threat to society with your promotion and toleration of cancel culture. Jesus couldn't make it past you people, the rest of us stand no chance. Truth is that you couldn't hold up to inspection either, Mr. Creedy.

Reports from major sporting news outlets saying Jon Gruden is resigning as the head coach of the Raiders. This may undoubtedly end his coaching career with the surfacing of the emails he sent back in 2010-2011.

I know we are early on in the Heupel tenure, but this hire still looks so much better than the other "names" that were always bounced around during coaching surfaces.

Jon Gruden, Tony Elliot, PJ Fleck, Matt Campbell, Mike Leach, Gus Malzahn, Tom Herman, etc etc etc.
The list of names goes on and on and it is encouraging to see what originated as a "boring hire" to what Heupel has done thus far.

Still ALOT of football to go and he still is super early in his tenure, but compared to some of the "popular" names and their performance at other schools/NFL, the Danny White and Josh Heupel hires are looking better than ever today.
We definitely lucked into what seems like a solid hire so far. Also, the guys we didn't want at all are doing well... Tucker, Doeren, Dykes, etc.

I still have emails from when I was at UTK. I have some that could ruin people in the current environment. And some of them from people who now eat this kind of stuff up (meaning ruining someone for something they said or did years ago).
I would guarantee several in coaching, politics, etc have had statements that could land them in hot water these days. Some change for the better with time, kind of crazy to destroy someone for the person they were instead of the person they are now. Jmo

You sound like you might be a good candidate for the new Thought Purity Czar position. You will, of course, need to pass a polygraph to ensure that you never engaged in, or tacitly approved by lack of opposition, any demeaning behavior to include inappropriate thoughts or comments about any groups of people to include their physical appearance or attributes (fat, skinny, short, tall, light, dark, bald, attire choices, anti-male, anti-female, etc), their religious convictions (to include any anti-Scientology, anti-Mormon, anti-Pentacostal, anti-Muslim, anti-Hindu, anti-atheist, anti-Catholic, etc), their cultural or nationalistic attributes (anti-redneck, anti-southern, anti-hippy, anti-new age, anti-yankee, anti-Canadian, anti-Russian, anti-Chinese, anti-French, etc), their political beliefs that are ad hominem (anti-Democrat, anti-Republican, anti-Trump, anti-Obama, anti-Larouche), their job choices (anti-lawyer, anti-carpenter, anti-plumber, anti-call support, etc), their sexual orientation and proclivities (gay, transgender, straight, all the letters that I don't even know what they stand for, anti- foot fetish, anti- dress up like a possum, anti-bondage, etc), their socioeconomic status (anti-rich, anti-poor), and any other categories that are now or in the future deemed to be inappropriate to include veganism/animal rights, tobacco usage, alcohol/drug usage, driving fossil fuel machines, etc. .

I get that there's some sarcasm here, but there's also a difference between thinking something about a person's appearance, making a slightly off-color joke and employing racial stereotypes like "lips like Goodyear tires." If you didn't know that was wrong 10 years ago, it's not about changing times, cancel culture, or thought purity, your just a plain ole everyday racist.

Not to mention, who describes another person as a f@ggot in a professional email sent from a work account? That's just classless and dumb.

I hate these discussions. There is hardly ever any nuance from either side.

That said, Gruden's comments were really dumb and there was a noticeable pattern. And expressing them via email was monumentally stupid.

I don't believe Gruden is some monster for saying bigoted and sexist things. He's probably just a douchebag.

This is such a ridiculous take. It was ok for him to be a racist piece of garage back in 2011? What’s the stature of limitations on making horrifically racist comments? This isn’t a situation where a white dude uses the “n word” amongst friends when he was a teenager.
Maybe you should read more about it

I disagree man. I don't believe you should lose a job that you didn't have for an email from 10 years ago. My opinion but it doesn't make me right or wrong just my opinion

People say hurtful things to each other even when they don’t mean it.

Today’s society, you have to watch what you say and keep your mouth shut. Social media imo, has destroyed any kind of humanity left in this world.

Gruden is probably guilty as sin but if this happened 10 years ago, it shouldn’t have affected his job.

Punishment? Yes but to an extent.

You’re right that you haven’t said anything hurtful. What you’re doing is saying it’s fine for Gruden to behave the way he did by allowing him to keep his job.

You didn’t have to say it. You just showed your true colors with a simple statement…in writing…like your boy, Gruden.
So you’ve never said or done something in your whole life that could be considered offensive to someone? Should you be punished for that behavior for your whole life? I mean we don’t want you to think that’s fine. People learn and grow as individuals over the course of their life.

So you’ve never said or done something in your whole life that could be considered offensive to someone? Should you be punished for that behavior for your whole life? I mean we don’t want you to think that’s fine. People learn and grow as individuals over the course of their life.
Gruden was in a role of authority. You probably should read more about.

VN Store

Back