College Football is officially a joke

You assume that their subjective motivation was the money that presumably would be superior with Alabama in the game rather than FSU. I'm skeptical of that as their subjective motivation, but let's assume it was.

I don't think their subjective thinking is the issue. Its whether the selection of Alabama is objectively defensible and it easily is.
C'mon, you're an attorney. You get paid to defend things. The choice of FSU is also objectively defensible, in that sense. In layman's terms: you could make the case both ways.

It's not a 100% slam dunk that FSU or Bama deserved to be in. You're a Gator and surely grin at FSU not being in like I grin that GA isn't in.

I never thought Bama could beat GA, but I'm as grudgingly glad as I can be for a Bama win. You probably never thought FSU could win without Travis, and I'd have agreed especially when y'all tried to behead his replacement with a late hit.

Curious. What makes you think it isn't money driving the Bama choice? Or more directly, what do you think subjectively drove the Bama choice?

When I saw that news that FSU was left out the first thing I thought was "that is the most UT thing I have ever heard." I am glad it happened to FSU and not us but man its nice to know other teams get screwed over like we have been for the past 15 years.
For the record I think FSU should be in.

Well, FSU had the number 55 strength of schedule and Bama had number 5. Bama lost to to a top four team, and beat the top team. FSU did not play anyone close to a Georgia or a Texas. Someone was going to be sad. They chose the crap commuter college that no one follows. Next year we’ll have a playoff with eight teams that don’t have a chance. That will be really boring.
BAMA also walloped powerhouse Auburn that’s what got them in. Of course Auburn didn’t have a QB either.

Because the following week they beat the number one team in the country. That’s how. Every team had a scare from a lesser team. So what?.
The whole narrative for Bama and against FSU is recency bias -- i.e. Bama has "has looked better recently". I'm saying that literally less than 10 days ago, Bama needed not one but TWO GIFTS from Auburn to luck their way into a win.

The narrative AGAINST FSU is that they have not passed the eye test RECENTLY due to QB situation. It's a blatant double standard that has led to a bogus presupposition that Bama is better than their record says they are (i.e. predictive performance). Bull Shot. Can't have it both ways.

As has been pointed out all over Twitter -- the consensus predictive performance in the Pac 12 championship game was that ORE would boatrace WASH because WASH has looked weak in recent games and ORE has looked strong. What happened in that game? Well predictive performance based on the "recent eye test" tuned out to be completely bogus.

Bottom line is that winning games in the P5 apparently doesn't matter. What does matter is subjective opinions and big brand bias.

The whole narrative for Bama and against FSU is recency bias -- i.e. Bama has "has looked better recently". I'm saying that literally less than 10 days ago, Bama needed not one but TWO GIFTS from Auburn to luck their way into a win.

The narrative AGAINST FSU is that they have not passed the eye test RECENTLY due to QB situation. It's a blatant double standard that has led to a bogus presupposition that Bama is better than their record says they are (i.e. predictive performance). Bull Shot. Can't have it both ways.

As has been pointed out all over Twitter -- the consensus predictive performance in the Pac 12 championship game was that ORE would boatrace WASH because WASH has looked weak in recent games and ORE has looked strong. What happened in that game? Well predictive performance based on the "recent eye test" tuned out to be completely bogus.

Bottom line is that winning games in the P5 apparently doesn't matter. What does matter is subjective opinions and big brand bias.
FSU is not a top 4 team now.

I can see this too, but wonder if after giving TCU a pass on the loss last year they feared giving FSU a pass on the loss of QB and getting drilled in the semi game. If FSU hangs with GA, then the heat will really turn up.

So is that what we're doing now. Hanging with Georgia as a measuring stick for FSU?

Every time somebody on the radio or TV or on this board says "The committee is supposed to pick the 4 best teams and that's what they did" is cringy, because they didn't. They weren't even close without UGA and possibly OSU in the final 4.

Is FSU better than Bama? Probably not, but UGA would be favored over every other team in the top 4 except maybe Bama, so when saying they picked the 4 "best" that needs to be called out loudly.

The committee picked the 3 most deserving and 1 best team. In terms of "best" and "deserving" what we have is neither.

You should rework this argument.

Won’t matter next year, all the Whining stops. 12 teams get in. Only teams that will be on the bubble are the 9-3 teams.

I would agree completely that both UGA and Bama are better than FSU and if there were a #5 team in the playoffs I would 100%give it to Georgia not FSU.

Multiple times the CFP committee selected 2 SEC teams over the champion of another conference. This is not a new idea. The only thing that has people hung up is that FSU was undefeated but their schedule sucked. The best team they beat was LSU who was the 5th best team in the SEC.

I would also call Michigan into question because we still don't fully know the depth of the cheating that went on there and the type of cheating they were doing has a DIRECT influence on the outcome of games.

And this is why I hope Alabama puts it on them. Harbaugh has been involved in too many controversial tactics which is why he's been suspended multiple times.

Won’t matter next year, all the Whining stops. 12 teams get in. Only teams that will be on the bubble are the 9-3 teams.

If you think all the whining will stop, you're kidding yourself. There will only be more teams whining instead of the 1-2 we've had.

Everyone thinks the expanded playoff will be the panacea, but what it's likely to be for the most part are a bunch of blowouts resulting in the 4-5 teams everyone knew would be the final four. This ain't March Madness.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
committee got it right. No one wants to watch FSU’s backup QB get destroyed by Michigan’s defense.

People aren’t as mad about FSU getting snubbed as they are Bama getting yet another shot.
Actually people are mad because the committee is talking out of both sides of their mouth. On one hand they say it’s the 4 best teams but where’s UGA then?

"Head to head matters"

Tell me who finished one spot ahead of Tennessee last year in the final CFP poll.

There's also the problem that, if Alabama ties Texas on the season in a rematch, they'll win a national championship. All Texas will have gotten out of their win will be to have not disqualified themselves from the playoffs.

TCU says the same thing. FSU barely beat BC. Alabama would roast FSU in a bowl game and Alabama would easily be undefeated with FSUs schedule. As much as I dislike bama, they are the better team.
And Bama should’ve lost to Auburn, barely beat Arkansas and looked horrible against South Florida. That game was 10-3 until Bama punched in a TD with 33 seconds left in the game.

It was (I thought obvious) hyperbole, Im sorry you took it literally.

The point was, Georgia is overrated. Stetson Bennett is older than both Tua and Jalen ( who already have multiple years in the league). Georgia’s high-quality recruiting even made him look good. For crying out loud, even he received an invite to NY and look what he’s done in the league…nothing.

If he was such a great, Heisman quality quarterback, why does he suck so bad in the league? Maybe because all the Jimmys and Joes around him made him look better than he is.

What does credit for Tennessee’s games have anything to do with the argument that GA is NOT one of the four best teams? I was simply answering your question with some statistics on why I believe the dogs are overrated, and their “historic run” is simply the stars aligning.
To be fair, plenty of Heisman winners have sucked in the pros as QB.

Guess I will wait for some results to see if the committee should be roasted for passing on FSU. If GA kills them any where close to what they did to TCU, then not so much.
I don't know how much weight we can put on that game, given how exclusion from the playoff will affect motivation and available roster for both teams.

That said, I hope FSU buries Georgia and vindicates themselves.

One of the problems with this idea is that rankings are subjective and based on the eye test, just like the committee. The whole sports hierarchy is based on the opinions of sportswriters who vote in the AP poll, SIDs who vote in the coaches poll, or a committee who ranks them at the end of the year.

They are all based on the eye test, emotion, and ratings.
Now that is a great counterpoint. Kudos.

Of course that very much applies to this idea of SOS. Somehow FSU dropped after playing Louisville which tells me there’s zero credibility in the data. The only data that matters in FSU went 13-0 against a solid schedule that included 2 road games against SEC teams while Bama went 12-1, losing their big OOC game at home. Texas at home is probably about the same as going to Death Valley at night this year. FSU won, Bama didn’t. The playoff was supposed to remedy what happened to Auburn in 2004 yet here we are again.

If FSU played Bama's schedule,would they be 13-0? Not a chance! And the committee knew they didn't want another TCU type game .Kinda like this years Orange Bowl. Sorry FSU beat down coming down the tracks !
They wouldn’t have to be 13-0. 12-1 was better than their 13-0.

If you think all the whining will stop, you're kidding yourself. There will only be more teams whining instead of the 1-2 we've had.

Everyone thinks the expanded playoff will be the panacea, but what it's likely to be for the most part are a bunch of blowouts resulting in the 4-5 teams everyone knew would be the final four. This ain't March Madness.
Yes but, people will then complain about “this team had an easier path because they got to play that team” and the committee shouldn’t have placed us there.

No team is "entitled" to a playoff spot on the premise that they "deserve" it. Part of earning that position is signing up, years in advance, for a schedule that TOP TO BOTTOM reflects playing the best.

The perception problem the ACC has, whether you agree with it or not, is that in some years they have one team that excels but the rest of the conference is basically a bunch of Vanderbilts.

So, on the whole, even that ACC team that excels has the flavor of weakness based on the fact that over the course of a season they are not facing challenges at the level of the SEC.
The ACC had a winning record against the SEC and Pac12 this year though. FSU beat 2 SEC teams on the road. What more could they do? Schedule a 3rd P5 team?

VN Store

Back