College Football is officially a joke

Two 1 loss conference champions in over an undefeated conference champion?
Gone are the days of results on the field. 2 years in a row Bama has gotten a bump for the "how they look". It's no longer just about winning but people's opinions truly matter more. The game has become down right pathetic. College Football is a complete joke on all levels.
Must be nice to have a head coach who the committee gets all giddy when you talk about him. I truly hate what Alabama and Georgia has become!!

Two 1 loss conference champions in over an undefeated conference champion?
Gone are the days of results on the field. 2 years in a row Bama has gotten a bump for the "how they look". It's no longer just about winning but people's opinions truly matter more. The game has become down right pathetic. College Football is a complete joke on all levels.
I think it’s pretty simple. Sports has become an entertainment based TV show. The pure competition days are over. Heck, look at golf. They’re paying their most popular entertainers through the roof now to appear on their TV show. No different than a Tom Cruise getting tons of money for a crappy military jet movie. Why did it get that way? Well us, obviously. We love to pay all our hard earned wages into being entertained.

I think it’s pretty simple. Sports has become an entertainment based TV show. The pure competition days are over. Heck, look at golf. They’re paying their most popular entertainers through the roof now to appear on their TV show. No different than a Tom Cruise getting tons of money for a crappy military jet movie. Why did it get that way? Well us, obviously. We love to pay all our hard earned wages into being entertained.

Agreed. Michael Jordan paved the way for "athletes as brands," and "sports as lifestyles." Seeing him make hundreds of millions of dollars opened the eyes of many sports leagues and their players. The idea that people would part with so much of their income was difficult to believe, but Jordan proved otherwise. Whenever a sport makes that switch -- that is, when they decide that the athletes themselves, rather than the game, is the product -- then it moves into marketing characters. And people want their characters to be larger than life. They want to be connected to things that are larger than life. That's how you go from stats and defensive alignments, to "which NFL player was the best dressed this weekend." From ESPN presenting college football, to "ESPN IS college football."

That's the road to sports hell, paved with entertainment, for any game. Once you're focused on the things around the sport, rather than the sport itself, things like competitiveness and integrity don't necessarily matter so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: mercuryvol and ZZ13
I’m not even sure what you’re arguing about anymore. The UGA FSU won’t tell us squat about the committee’s decision, no matter who wins. The bottom line is the committee inconsistently applied their standard to get the games they thought would be the best. Is Bama better than FSU right now? Probably. I think they are but I also thought Oregon would beat Washington.
Seems like we were supposed to meet up and discuss something at halftime of this game. Can you remember what the topic was?

Seems like we were supposed to meet up and discuss something at halftime of this game. Can you remember what the topic was?

What is slightly meaningful about this game? FSU has 24 opt outs, an entirely different team. This is barely an exhibition game.

It has zero impact on FSU getting screwed in the playoffs.

Reactions: KTrain
What is slightly meaningful about this game? FSU has 24 opt outs, an entirely different team. This is barely an exhibition game.

It has zero impact on FSU getting screwed in the playoffs.
FSU's chief argument against being left out of the CFP was, "we're the team who went 13-0, don't penalize us just because we lost our starting QB, we're the SAME TEAM."

So using that logic, it doesn't matter if they lost 20+ kids to the portal, they're the same team. Right?

Fact is, the Committee did get it partially wrong. They got it wrong by allowing conference champs all-but automatic berths in the playoffs when in reality UGa should have been in. They are undoubtedly one of the four best teams in the country. Hate to speak well of the dawgs, but it is true.

The SEC is a tough, brutal conference at the top. FSU was never even close to that. No matter who they suited up.

Last edited:
Next year should help but there will still be complaining
Yep, just looking at the teams and what they are bringing back, it will be hard for Tennessee to make the top 12. IMO it all depends on Nico. If he is a generational QB we are good to go but I look at the teams coming back and it's hard for me to discount any of these teams from being in the top 12. You have Alabama, Georgia Texas, Ole Miss, Missouri, that's 5 of 12 and they are going to let the conference winners in so then you never know about Oklahoma they will need to get an instant portal upgrade at QB, so as you insinuated its going to be better but there will still be complaining. Especially if some of these mentioned teams get left out because a conference winner of a conference that was down gets in and by eye test, they're not worthy.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
FSU's chief argument against being left out of the CFP was, "we're the team who went 13-0, don't penalize us just because we lost our starting QB, we're the SAME TEAM."

So using that logic, it doesn't matter if they lost 20+ kids to the portal, they're the same team. Right?

Fact is, the Committee did get it partially wrong. They got it wrong by allowing 3 undefeated conference champs all-but automatic berths in the playoffs when in reality UGs should have been in. They are undoubtedly one of the four best teams in the country. Hate to speak well of the dawgs, but it is true.

The SEC is a tough, brutal conference at the top. FSU was never even close to that. No matter who they suited up.

Yes, because losing a starting QB, which happens all the time, is exactly the same thing as losing 24 players for a meaningless bowl game. Hey, we should count NFL preseason games, too!

When the games count, Georgia lost. If they can be put into the playoffs no matter if they win or lose, based upon how they look, why play the games, at all? Or, better, play the games, but don't keep score. Whoever passes the "eye test" gets the spot.

FSU had the opportunity to change the narrative, but instead enhanced it, by looking like Wofford in an early September warm up, buy game.

They should STFU. Forever.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Haha these people thinking Bama over FSU was the right move would argue with a wall for hours. Brain cells be lacking
Well I think the score in Fla. St. bowl game against Ga. proves you wrong. Looks as if the opts out for Fla. St. knew that was going to happen. I would think players would want to prove the committe wrong on the field.

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back