College Gameday ditches AJ/Dobbs cancer story for FSU piece

As a writer I choose my words carefully, but there is absolutely no difference between 'biggest' and 'largest' whatsoever.

And if ESPN were to run both stories, no one--especially me--would have minded. You seem to think there's some blame to attribute to me for writing a story about ESPN dropping the AJ Cucksey story in favor of an ESPN story. *shrug* You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but believe me when I tell you I feel NO kind of bizarre guilt for pointing out that dropping a story about a Tennessee child battling cancer at a Tennessee game during Childhood Cancer Awareness month is a poorly considered decision.

Honestly, Gameday has a long enough show to drop some of the ridiculous stuff and do 2-3 stories a week on this kind of thing. So forgive me if I don't really care about 'eating crow' for pointing that out. Thanks so much for the insight.
Not my intent to blame. Sorry. I just don't like the idea of pitchforks if ESPN does decide to air the story of Bo. That is not fair to Bo and to all the kids with autism. You use the term of "an ESPN story" instead of a story about autism and social rejection that happens to some of the brilliant autistic kids. Thanks

Not my intent to blame. Sorry. I just don't like the idea of pitchforks if ESPN does decide to air the story of Bo. That is not fair to Bo and to all the kids with autism. You use the term of "an ESPN story" instead of a story about autism and social rejection that happens to some of the brilliant autistic kids. Thanks

College Gameday PR reps didn't say anything about what the FSU story was about. I can't make an assumption in any story without verification from the source. Unless ESPN has announced that's what the FSU story is about--which they did not in their statement--then I can't assume that's what the story is about. Surely you understand that, right?

So kindly don't cast aspersions as to what I meant. I was told BY ESPN that the story was killed for an"FSU story". That is the term I used. If you have complaints about me quoting ESPN as is my responsibility to do, then I would suggest directing them to ESPN PR who were the folks I was communicating with all morning yesterday.

Good lord. Is it so difficult to comprehend?

Reactions: 7 people
College Gameday PR reps didn't say anything about what the FSU story was about. I can't make an assumption in any story without verification from the source. Unless ESPN has announced that's what the FSU story is about--which they did not in their statement--then I can't assume that's what the story is about. Surely you understand that, right?

So kindly don't cast aspersions as to what I meant. I was told BY ESPN that the story was killed for an"FSU story". That is the term I used. If you have complaints about me quoting ESPN as is my responsibility to do, then I would suggest directing them to ESPN PR who were the folks I was communicating with all morning yesterday.

Good lord. Is it so difficult to comprehend?

No. it's not

As an aside, the car in your avi pic is awesome!!!

Honestly I fired up MS Paint found that car on the Internet along with John Madden doing that pose and cheaply put it together over 10 years ago lol. I don't even recall where it's from.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure where people are having difficulty understanding this. You air the story of the TN kid at the TN game. You air the story of a FL kid at a FSU game.

Pretty damn simple if you ask me. That isn't putting the importance of one kids circumstances over the others, it's using the atmosphere of the day to the best advantage of the child closest to that game day experience.

What is the most unforgivable to me is the fact that this young man has known since July (win it was filmed) and was told it would air at bristol, only to be changed last minute.

Reactions: 2 people
Several (and I mean several) years ago ESPN was one of my main stations I watched. Sadly, I have to agree with everyone regarding the fall of the ESPN empire and it becoming more of a political propaganda station than anything else. Sad reflection on the network(s) and the society we live in.

That being said, I watch live sports on the ESPN family of networks and that is it. If I want commentary, news, etc. I will turn to SEC Network or get score updates online. SportsCenter has become less about highlights and sports news and more about pushing their political agendas to the masses.

Sad, sad, sad....I've always felt that sports were the one thing that transcended politics....you will celebrate a score or big win with the person sitting beside you without regard to political leanings, race, sex, etc. Sports can bring people with different views, national origins, etc. together to celebrate victory....politicizing it will only work to bring us further apart instead of keeping one thing that can bring us together....

Yeah I agree. I've seen this coming for several years now. ESPN is a leading outlet to proclaim "progressive-ism" and unfortunately not everyone understands that. Progressives will eventually destroy our nation unless we expose it for what it is... A cancer on society,..and a fundamental tenet of their "faith" is THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS...I'm just glad more people are identifing and exposes it!!!

Last edited:
Virginia techs official football account tweeted out for it I think it should get more retweets and favorites. Only has a few. @HokiesFB is the handle. Nice to see some support from them. Some things transcend sports.

@celina is there some way I can assist this family? If so please post.

Also ESPN is disgraceful....everyone continue to pound them on social media. I will see if there is anything that can be done at the corporate level with ESPN. The more media that finds out about this the better....

Also ESPN is disgraceful....everyone continue to pound them on social media. I will see if there is anything that can be done at the corporate level with ESPN. The more media that finds out about this the better....

Lol ATL. You're quite the card, sir

One of the reasons people are so outraged is because AJ Cucksey at SIX is more concerned about helping others. So AJ and his parents decided to crowdsource a fundraising campaign for ETCH. Artist Jeff Page designed a t-shirt for them, and it's now available. 100% of the money goes to ETCH.

big.jpg

The main thing for me about this is how disappointed this amazing child was when his parents told him what had happened. It would mean everything to him to see Vol Nation turn out at Gameday in support. AJ Cucksey is one of the sweetest, most joyful children I've ever known.

Reactions: 3 people

I think we need to find a way to use other media (local and national) against ESPN. Basically shame them. Even the p.r. response that was given by ESPN, basically said it was because Dobbs and the Vols performed poorly as to why they dropped the story. (when said story news and story lines change or something like that)

Last edited:
I'm freaking disgusted by ESPN. Ever race story takes front page. The old man deciding to be a woman gets an award. A guy like Kurt schilling can't make a joke and yet the give a guy like Colin kapernick massive kudos. I watched and listened to ESPN for a day or two afterwards and not a single personality took a stand against him. It's the most liberal organization in America.

Finebaum took a stand. Then had to get on air and apologize and say that he knew better. ESPN is a joke.

One of the reasons people are so outraged is because AJ Cucksey at SIX is more concerned about helping others. So AJ and his parents decided to crowdsource a fundraising campaign for ETCH. Artist Jeff Page designed a t-shirt for them, and it's now available. 100% of the money goes to ETCH.

big.jpg

The main thing for me about this is how disappointed this amazing child was when his parents told him what had happened. It would mean everything to him to see Vol Nation turn out at Gameday in support. AJ Cucksey is one of the sweetest, most joyful children I've ever known.

Many thanks for posting this link. I'm about to sprinkle a little love on this campaign! Rest of volnation please do what you can!

Reactions: 3 people
Need to boycott sponsors to make an impact. Let them know what kind of organization they are associated with.

Many thanks for posting this link. I'm about to sprinkle a little love on this campaign! Rest of volnation please do what you can!

I saw the love you sprinkled on AJ's campaign. God bless you for that. One six-year-old is going to be a very happy fella in the morning.

I didn't see Finebaum today but why did he have to apologize? What exactly did he say to have to issue an apology? The only apology should be ESPN to this little boy. Shameful.

Be sure to document any "free speech zones" they might set up for your signs.

I think the way to make sure your signs don't get censored--because that's what we're talking about--is to leave off anything they can complain about. Signs that read "f*** you GameDay!" won't get through. keeping the signs positive should be fine--no twitter handles. Hashtags should be fine. And maybe tying them to the game too.

Unless you're ubersneaky and have double-sided tape.

Which I am. Ubersneaky with double-sided tape. :angel:

It just hit me. GameDay is giving Art Briles a platform tomorrow and not AJ Cucksey and Josh Dobbs.

Because, you know, a disgraced coach and his faux "apologies" are so much more important.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back