College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

The Athletic floated three names for IU

- John Beilein - if I could get him, this would be my first choice if I woke up as IU AD. But would he be interested? Does he want to recruit anymore? I can’t think of another reason he’d leave the job security he built up at Michigan for a bad NBA team that never gave him a chance.

- Chris Beard - a home run if they could pull it off. IU is definitely a better job than Texas Tech, but again would he give up his near infinite job security at TTU for a job that’s chewed through coaches for a decade plus? Also I think it’s likely a blue blood opens up in a few years. Roy and K aren’t getting any younger. I’d imagine a UNC or Duke caliber program would have him high on their list. If you go to IU and fail you might ruin your shot at one of those blue bloods.

- Porter Moser - honestly I’m surprised no one has swooped him up since the F4 run in 2018. I think he’d do well at IU but would their fans accept another mid major coach? Some of their fans actually believe Brad Stevens is going to leave the Celtics for IU...LOL.

It’ll be an interesting search to say the least.
Chris Beard would be my first call but I agree with your line of thinking that it is a better strategic move for him to stick around for now. He's got a decent gig and much better jobs than IU will be available in the next ten years or less you'd have to think

Indiana fans have been talking about getting Brad Stevens for a decade lol
Brad Stevens would be a grand slam hire for any college program, and he is an above average coach in the NBA. I think he's a tad overrated though. And I thought that prior to this season (this NBA season is too chaotic for me to make any real judgements on)

Brad Stevens would be a grand slam hire for any college program, and he is an above average coach in the NBA. I think he's a tad overrated though. And I thought that prior to this season (this NBA season is too chaotic for me to make any real judgements on)
If Brad Stevens fails to get Boston to the ECF's this season, i could see Ainge going with a different direction next season. Idk if Stevens would return to college though, even with his Indiana connections.

I agree with the tad overrated part but NBA people love him. He’d get hired immediately by 20 teams

Reactions: berryvol
The Athletic floated three names for IU

- John Beilein - if I could get him, this would be my first choice if I woke up as IU AD. But would he be interested? Does he want to recruit anymore? I can’t think of another reason he’d leave the job security he built up at Michigan for a bad NBA team that never gave him a chance.

- Chris Beard - a home run if they could pull it off. IU is definitely a better job than Texas Tech, but again would he give up his near infinite job security at TTU for a job that’s chewed through coaches for a decade plus? Also I think it’s likely a blue blood opens up in a few years. Roy and K aren’t getting any younger. I’d imagine a UNC or Duke caliber program would have him high on their list. If you go to IU and fail you might ruin your shot at one of those blue bloods.

- Porter Moser - honestly I’m surprised no one has swooped him up since the F4 run in 2018. I think he’d do well at IU but would their fans accept another mid major coach? Some of their fans actually believe Brad Stevens is going to leave the Celtics for IU...LOL.

It’ll be an interesting search to say the least.

A couple of interesting things about Beard: he was assistant under both Bob Knight and Pat Knight at Tech. Is that good or bad for Indiana? But, most importantly, I believe he is divorced but has three daughters. Beard is not even 50 years old, so I would assume that the daughters are still relatively young (as in, college and younger). Even though Lubbock is not where he is from, he is a Texas guy, and I am pretty sure being closer to his daughters is important to him. As you say, he gets compensated well and he has security for years at TT. I would be surprised if Beard made that move.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
If Brad Stevens fails to get Boston to the ECF's this season, i could see Ainge going with a different direction next season. Idk if Stevens would return to college though, even with his Indiana connections.

That would surprise me a little. Ainge has publicly said the roster is on him. I can't say that I keep up with everything NBA, but Kemba Walker hasn't been good. Ainge's comments sounded like roster changes were coming; not a coaching change.

It’s official: DePaul Athletic Director DeWayne Peevy has announced a change in the leadership of the men’s basketball program. Dave Leitao has been relieved of his duties. A national coaching search is underway. DePaul has finished last in the Big East in 5 straight seasons.

Smart has made two NCAAT’s at Texas and never won a game. Was on the hot seat last year. Last year was highest regular season finish with tied for 3rd. Went 11-22 his second year.

Not even close who has been more successful.
And Smart inherited a much better roster

Reactions: VolGee4
Smart has made two NCAAT’s at Texas and never won a game. Was on the hot seat last year. Last year was highest regular season finish with tied for 3rd. Went 11-22 his second year.

Not even close who has been more successful.
They’ve underperformed this year too considering the talent and experience on that roster. Caught a break in the Big 12 tourney. Missed Kansas and got a day off. They’ve been lucky to get a 3 seed IMO which helps get them to the Sweet 16 and will keep Shaka in town a little longer.

Reactions: VolGee4
According to a report by Jeff Goodman, Jean Prioleau has been fired at San Jose Sate.

Prioleau had struggled during his four-year tenure at SJSU, compiling a 20-93 (.177) overall record. This past season, the Spartans went 5-15 (3-13 Mountain West).

His original deal runs through April 30, 2022, and he is entitled to 50% of his base salary and supplemental compensation if he’s terminated before it expires according to his contract.

Before becoming the head coach at San Jose State, Prioleau had served as an assistant at Colorado, TCU, Iowa State, Marquette, and Wichita State.

I know nobody cares about the NIT, but the games start tonight. Just a little appetizer for the tourney for me. Should be good games. Toledo and W Kentucky both conference champs who got bounced in their tourneys.

If you believe in kenpom, both UCLA and Norfolk State are underdogs yet higher in kenpom ratings than their opponents. Might be good value for betting

VN Store

Back