Coming after Vitello

Also, if Woodward is this mastermind AD with complete control of his athletic department, how is it so much information about Tony Vitello is leaking out to the public right now? I feel like that is something he'd want under lock and key, similar to how he conducted the rest of his coaching searches.
When coaches do searches themselves, there will be leaks. Only time there isn’t is when search firms are involved.

The announcer at the BG game alluded to something before the Coach T.V. did an interview. The lead up by the announcer sounded like Coach T.V. was going to talk about Milton pitching. In light of recent events on the football field, I think it would be worth a conversation for both Milton and Coach T.V.

I know that throwing a baseball and a football are different but the way a football flies out of Milton's hand makes me think he could be a pitcher. Obviously, it would take some work to develop a 2nd pitch and accuracy would be a challenge. I sure as hell do not want to stand in the box while he figures it out but it could work. I think that it could be a better future for Milton and the Vols might a scholarship pitcher that does not count on their roster.

BTW, Coach T.V. did not look very comfortable in the interview.

The announcer at the BG game alluded to something before the Coach T.V. did an interview. The lead up by the announcer sounded like Coach T.V. was going to talk about Milton pitching. In light of recent events on the football field, I think it would be worth a conversation for both Milton and Coach T.V.

I know that throwing a baseball and a football are different but the way a football flies out of Milton's hand makes me think he could be a pitcher. Obviously, it would take some work to develop a 2nd pitch and accuracy would be a challenge. I sure as hell do not want to stand in the box while he figures it out but it could work. I think that it could be a better future for Milton and the Vols might a scholarship pitcher that does not count on their roster.

I would guess Coach V did not want to be negative so he just went along with it. I would say if you cannot throw a football where a receiver can get close to it the chances of pitching would be very slim. But if I am Coach V I'm not saying that in the middle of football season when he has always tried to be very much a total UT supporter in all sports. He was put on the spot and had to something.

I was also thinking we should harness all that talent/success from football and use it to help out our struggling baseball program.

Reactions: vol66
Just think- they once had Saban. That’s got to drive LSU fans absolutely crazy. GBO & Roll Wave!

Hello all! Been awhile since I visited. Since this is the baseball forum, I’ll be brief with my comments on this post. Yeah, it drives some of our fans insane. But many, like myself, are really just grateful that Saban brought our program back to relevance. I’d be lying if I said anything other than I wish we still had him as our coach, but I think every other program in the country feels the same way! Hope y’all are all doing well!

Will all due respect to Milton the Vols will have arguably the Most depth on the mound next year and down the road.

Reactions: TN_gal
Will all due respect to Milton the Vols will have arguably the Most depth on the mound next year and down the road.
I still might be tempted to put a baseball in his hand one Sunday afternoon this fall and see what happens…just don’t stand around the catcher trying to get a good view 😀. I’m 50% kidding here….

I agree, my suggestion was from the idea that Milton needs baseball more than baseball needs Milton. It probably won't happen and if he ever tries then it probably doesn't workout. However, Milton has 3 years left, I think.

Only thing I could find on Milton playing baseball. This interview continues to make me wonder how he graduated from college. Definitely doesn't elaborate much.

WATCH: Just how hard does Joe Milton throw the ball?

So he says he throws 93 with no control of a football. I know several HS players that pitch at 93 that want to come to UT. Why would you spend time trying to teach a college player to pitch when you have guys that already know most of the stuff and want to come? I know it is intriguing but I don't see it happening. We have too many guys that throw mid to upper 90's that are not getting to pitch already on staff. That would be like spending hours teaching a track star how to play baseball because he has 1 of the tools. We tried that years ago with a couple of HS guys and it was a total waste. They could not catch a ball even though they had the crazy speed to get to it. They could not steal because they never understood when to run so they were behind and would not slide. I know a HS team that took a track guy and tried to teach him to steal bases. They put him on third, no conversations ahead of time, and told him to steal next pitch. He was so fast the other team did not even try to throw him out. But I'm not sure you count stealing second from third a stolen base.:D Next pitch after a conversation he was back on third. Last experiment with track guys playing baseball. You have to have more than 1 tool to play this game. Most complex game on campus.

Reactions: TN_gal
Pitchers have the 1 tool that no one else on the field has.

Yeah, not much reason but if the guy can walk in and throw 93 plus, with some control, he is already on full scholarship on footballs dime.
Like Helton in the sense that Helton did not count towards baseballs scholarship because he was brought in under football. It may be worth a conversation and workout. I would be a little surprised if could not throw harder than 93.

So he says he throws 93 with no control of a football. I know several HS players that pitch at 93 that want to come to UT. Why would you spend time trying to teach a college player to pitch when you have guys that already know most of the stuff and want to come? I know it is intriguing but I don't see it happening. We have too many guys that throw mid to upper 90's that are not getting to pitch already on staff. That would be like spending hours teaching a track star how to play baseball because he has 1 of the tools. We tried that years ago with a couple of HS guys and it was a total waste. They could not catch a ball even though they had the crazy speed to get to it. They could not steal because they never understood when to run so they were behind and would not slide. I know a HS team that took a track guy and tried to teach him to steal bases. They put him on third, no conversations ahead of time, and told him to steal next pitch. He was so fast the other team did not even try to throw him out. But I'm not sure you count stealing second from third a stolen base.:D Next pitch after a conversation he was back on third. Last experiment with track guys playing baseball. You have to have more than 1 tool to play this game. Most complex game on campus.

Haha! Maybe he was just trying to pad his stolen base stats with some 3B -> 2B steals.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Just curious; who are the pitchers on the team that throw 95+ and aren't getting to pitch?

VN Store

Back