Condredge Holloway to HOF

I did...Think Randy Wallace was the third baseman at that time as well...Not many people were at these games back then
Respect ✊

were-not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

I did...Think Randy Wallace was the third baseman at that time as well...Not many people were at these games back then
Randy Wallace was a qb too!

Tough ticket this year. My parents want to catch a game but between parking and getting into the park they are hesitant. They go see the Braves in ATL numerous times a season but have an in for really good tickets, behind home plate.

Reactions: MAD
Congratulations!

View attachment 529489View attachment 529490

Did anyone ever get to see him play when he was at UT?

I did on at least one occasion in the spring of 1975. With Wallace at 3rd and Condredge at shortstop, we had a strong left side of the infield. My uncle was then head coach for the Commode-flushers' baseball team and, during the one game that I specifically recall, the visiting Commode-flushers were absolutely slaughtered by the Big Orange. If memory serves me correctly, my uncle was thrown out of the game for arguing in too "spirited" a fashion with the home plate umpire.

Many years later, I asked him point-blank if he would have taken the Tennessee head coaching position if it had been offered before the Vanderbilt position. He said, "Of course, I would have had more scholarships for my players." I responded by saying "that would have saved us from 40 years of intrafamilial arguments" over the Tennessee and Vanderbilt rivalry.

I did on at least one occasion in the spring of 1975. With Wallace at 3rd and Condredge at shortstop, we had a strong left side of the infield. My uncle was then head coach for the Commode-flushers' baseball team and, during the one game that I specifically recall, the visiting Commode-flushers were absolutely slaughtered by the Big Orange. If memory serves me correctly, my uncle was thrown out of the game for arguing in too "spirited" a fashion with the home plate umpire.

Many years later, I asked him point-blank if he would have taken the Tennessee head coaching position if it had been offered before the Vanderbilt position. He said, "Of course, I would have had more scholarships for my players." I responded by saying "that would have saved us from 40 years of intrafamilial arguments" over the Tennessee and Vanderbilt rivalry.
That’s a cool story.
Looked up the head to head that season, guessing it was the 14-1 game in Nashville that you are referring to.

F150D7E2-8988-49F6-8686-158E545CADE7.jpeg

That’s a cool story.
Looked up the head to head that season, guessing it was the 14-1 game in Nashville that you are referring to.

View attachment 529564

Thanks for bringing that data up. After so much time, memories certainly can deteriorate, but no, I was on campus at that time, so it was most probably 4/12/1975. My memory may have conveniently substituted the outcome for the 4/4/1975 game, which is on the magnitude of what I recall, with the actual results of our home-field victories.

About time! Condredge was already my football favorite before I arrived on campus in 1973. Baseball was my game in high school but I was not a starter. While at UT, I went to as many UT baseball games as I could and got to see him play for three seasons.

About time! Condredge was already my football favorite before I arrived on campus in 1973. Baseball was my game in high school but I was not a starter. While at UT, I went to as many UT baseball games as I could and got to see him play for three seasons.
I saw him play baseball when he was in high school in Huntsville, but not at UT.
You all who got to see Holloway play baseball are part of a special exclusive group.
I’m jealous.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Actually, I recall Condredge saying in an interview that, if he had his way, he would have signed that contract to play professional baseball straight out of high school. However, his mom believed strongly in the power of education, so he wound up attending Tennessee, where he played both baseball and football. He also said that Bear Bryant recruited him to Alabama but was honest enough to admit that the state of Alabama was not ready to accept a black quarterback at that point in time.

Tommy West was in the outfield. Rodney Woods played second. John Yarbrough (fb) outfield. Mike Smithson (bb) pitched. Condridge was a great shortstop and qb his sophmore thru senior year, but was a freakishly ninja quick athlete his freshman year before he had to put on 15-20 lbs to survive playing qb in the SEC.
He was I think the third person drafted out of high school that year but his mom wanted him to go to college. The artful dodger would have received tons of NIL money if it had been available back then. He was a celebrity of sorts all over the SEC. Defensively he was comparable to triple A or
MLB shortstops. His hitting could be hot and cold, I think he hit 400 one year, but didn't hit with a lot of power. The team was actually pretty good back then, probably top 25 in the country type, beat number 1 FSU a couple of times, but nothing like the current version of Tennessee Baseball.
Condridge probably could and should have been an NFL qb. playing several years in the CFL - think he might have been MVP one year. His focus was football and he was much better at football than baseball at UT imo.

Really great person and charismatic leader as well.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back