Connecticut

UConn only beat Memphis by 12 and were outscored in first quarter. Then they beat UCF by 7. I don’t expect a win, but they aren’t the same juggernaut.
If you look at the scores they are far different at home than on the road. They won by large margins at home other than the Baylor game which was neck and neck until Baylor exploded in the fourth quarter. The huge key is turnovers unforced no shot at the basket bad plays. 20 of them in this game gets us killed.

If Nelson-Ododa is to be such an overpowering rival it would be interesting to surprise her with something not expected. Twin towers. Key and Saunders double post. Davis, Harston, Massengil guard forwards. Not to say full time.

I like that idea. At first I thought, “If Saunders didn’t get any minutes against Alabama, she is sure not going to get any at Connecticut.” But then I thought, “but wouldn’t that be interesting!? Why not give her a shot against them and see what happens? You never know what game situation might become a player’s “Magic Moment” until you put them into the game situation to find out.”

So hell yeah! I’d be all for giving that scenario a shot.

And since Rennia is likely to be out of the picture for the most part, anyway — (I hope I’m dead wrong about that, by the way) — she will be the most logical choice for being the player first leaking back to try to slow down their transition game. But this is also risky, because the players leaking back will risk getting into foul trouble as they try to stop their very well-practiced, highly effective fast-break machine. Both Rennia and Jordan MUST stay out of foul trouble, but I suspect putting one or both of them on the bench early with fouls is going to be one of their goals.

I’m hoping our coaching staff looks like they’ve gotten too-little sleep come Thursday, ‘cause they’re going to need to channel Pat, who once said during a tourney all-nighter for the coaches: “You’ve got to have the will to prepare.”

Al Brown, I know you’re no spring chicken anymore, but boy, you can sleep NEXT week! :D

Seriously, though. Auriemma has probably been quietly preparing for Tennessee for weeks. If they can they’ll put the worst beating on us that they’ve put on any opponent in years. Our team is going to have to find a new level of focus and fortitude to give them a good game, and I sure wish I could be there to show them how much I appreciate the effort that I am certain they’ll bring.

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: orangealways
We Lady Vol fans have sorely underappreciated the genius of Holly Warlick. She skillfully dragged our expectations down so low to the point where we are ECSTATIC over a lucky 2-point win over Bama.

If I could raise me head off the bar, you'd get a stern talkin' to, me boyo...(hic)....

How about thosh Lady Volsh...raise a dram of stout, woncha...?

Reactions: Chippo and gule
Perceptive and enjoyable pregame analysis, lvocd. Great post!

Speaking of which...

Seriously, though. Auriemma has probably been quietly preparing for Tennessee for weeks. If they can they’ll put the worst beating on us that they’ve put on any opponent in years.

Agree. If the game were canceled due to weather, Gina would still assemble cardboard cutouts on the court and run layup drills just to say he'd beaten Tennessee. He really has bees in his bonnet in that regard.

Reactions: mcannon1 and lvocd
Another thing to watch out for is how Connecticut ballhandlers will push defenders away (with no fouls called) to get open. And I could see this being Makurat’s career-best scoring game if she’s the third or fourth priority to guard.

Also, many of the blocks we got last night would have been called fouls if we were playing Connecticut because they are good at faking contact by throwing themselves into the defender as they both descend before falling to the floor. I don’t know if this CT team does it or not, but they used to be good at faking contact on three-point shots, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some Academy Award-worthy flopping going on Thursday. lol

Reactions: Dube and Voltopia
Typical Adams.... Can always find ways to "down UT". He may be right, it did hurt Tennessee more than UC, but I think for Pat, it was more a principle than a personality conflict. I don't think the Pat I meet (only once seated at a luncheon) would "back down" from a personality difference. But I do think the negativity from the impact fallout of a principle would never "back her down".

Snowflake has gotten to be a word with negative connotations

per wikipedia;
Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.

When you quote Philippians in your Avatar you put yourself in a natural place for nit-picking

WOW! Wikipedia sure got that one Exactly. Thanks for posting !!

Turnovers are still a problem for the ladies, but overall there is clear improvement over last years team. Unfortunately probably not enough yet to beat UConn at their place, but if they continue to improve and stop the turnovers, we will have a chance next time.
probably not. this is your best chance for the next few years.

Reactions: olddog and mcannon1
Well all UConn got going for them is the home court, more talent four of their starters are top five players in their class, and most of their players are far more experienced than ours. We start two freshmen and a sophomore so were at a huge disadvantage from the beginning. I still believe it will be a close game if we don't turn it over a numerous amount of times which seems highly unlikely something we haven't been able to correct even at this point in the season.
Uconn will probably start 2 freshmen (it looks like Makurat has taken the job from Irwin ) and a sophomore a junior and a senior. So that's no excuse. Even if Irwin starts, she will be limited to about 11 minutes with the freshman getting the rest. Also the first player off the bench is a freshman.

You can expect a high number of turnovers because of the difference in guard play. UConn will mostly play 4 guards and ONO while the LV's are 4 wings and Key. The problem for UConn is when your size dominates the boards. If you can make some 3's early it will be a problem for UConn.

UConn should have a slight edge at the 5. UConn will play pressure defense and a motion offense utilizing speed against size. If you do not dominate the offensive boards, the UConn transition may just break your back. If UConn's 3 point shooting follows the norm, you are going to be hard pressed to keep up.

I don't expect a slaughter something like 75-60 UConn.

Not to the connies,,,they are counting it down like it;s New Year's eve:
View attachment 255543
This is on the ticket site. They do it for every game. Most UConn fans are excited for the renewal of the series but that's just nostalgia. We don't expect a rivalry just another home and home series like Cal or Dayton. Really more anticipation about Oregon coming and then going to UofSC.

Reactions: glv98 and olddog
Uconn will probably start 2 freshmen (it looks like Makurat has taken the job from Irwin ) and a sophomore a junior and a senior. So that's no excuse. Even if Irwin starts, she will be limited to about 11 minutes with the freshman getting the rest. Also the first player off the bench is a freshman.

You can expect a high number of turnovers because of the difference in guard play. UConn will mostly play 4 guards and ONO while the LV's are 4 wings and Key. The problem for UConn is when your size dominates the boards. If you can make some 3's early it will be a problem for UConn.

UConn should have a slight edge at the 5. UConn will play pressure defense and a motion offense utilizing speed against size. If you do not dominate the offensive boards, the UConn transition may just break your back. If UConn's 3 point shooting follows the norm, you are going to be hard pressed to keep up.

Wrong you got a senior point guard and two junior wings along with a sophomore center. We have a freshman point guard and a sophomore a freshman center and Davis a junior. Burrell is all we really have that is competent on the bench right now so were definitely at an experience as well as a talent deficit not counting the home court which seems the only place where UConn has been playing very well this season. You have an edge at every position this season. except Davis is compatible with any of your wings.

I don't expect a LV win, but I do expect a maximum effort by our women.

The turnovers, often by forced inside passes and sloppy guard passes, has to be fixed quickly...Geno sees the same thing we see and will have his girls jumping the passing lanes...

Against Bama we were guilty of dribbling into trouble by trying to get a little closer for a shorter shot. When open, take the shot. Our girls are just as good as shots as the Husky girls...

I expect to see another "Diamond and One Defense" again by UConn....It was effective by Bama, but they still lost...Our girls will be more famil;iar with that defense now, which should help.

In any event, I'm looking forward to the battle again....

Last edited:
Reactions: mlindsay
This is on the ticket site. They do it for every game. Most UConn fans are excited for the renewal of the series but that's just nostalgia. We don't expect a rivalry just another home and home series like Cal or Dayton. Really more anticipation about Oregon coming and then going to UofSC.

A near sellout (with only 500 tickets remaining, it could BE a sellout by Thursday) suggests that this may not be "just another home and home series like Cal or Dayton" to the fans, at least. Of course, Hartford may be a sellout for Cal and Dayton, too.... I don't know. But I kinda doubt it.

I'm getting the feeling that there's a whole lot of pretending that this game doesn't matter to anyone up there going on. 15,500-16,000 people don't waste time on something that doesn't matter at all. Tennesseans don't, anyway.

If it's not a slaughter, you should probably be concerned. Quite a few AP voters don't think Tennessee belongs in the Top 25 at all, and most of your fanbase appears to feel the same way. Connecticut has what ESPN analysts consider to be 3 of the top 25 players in the nation in Dangerfield, Walker and Nelson-Ododa. Tennessee had one on the list: Rennia Davis. It *should* be an easy win for CT.

The game is in Hartford at the XL center as of this morning 500 tickets are unsold out of 16,000

So Fulmer came up 500 seats short of a total buyout?

Time to him to start a GoFundMe page to cover the remaining tickets.

Be nice hearing the Big Orange Ocean lustily roaring out a tidal wave of Rocky Top.

Reactions: Dube and GameTime

I hope your team shares your sentiment

Orange you need to read your own message board again.....Several threads there are already dedicated to the game....The old guard of both of our sites, and fans of wcbb in general, are looking forward to this game...

It is what it is, high drama in Storrs Connecticut. That's the way it should be, until next season.

All joking aside, it would be nicer if both teams were performing at a high level with top ranking on the line. I don't see this game as any more significant than upcoming Miss St, SC, etc. Less, in fact, since those are conference games. I'd rather see us playing Baylor or Oregon. This is just a fund-raiser.

ESPN is trying to promote this like it's Ali-Frazier, Lakers-Celtics, Warriors-Cavs, Brady-Manning, whatever. It's not, and fans know it.

Maybe someday soon, but not yet. I care less about beating UCONN than beating the smug ingrate. Feeding his ego ain't our thing, and the money for the foundation could have been raised from sales from a different matchup such as SC vs UCONN.

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTime

Oh, I doubt that. Having lurked -- and even posted -- on the Boneyard back in the day, I doubt very much that UConn fans just consider this just "another home and home series." After all those years of constant ... vitriol ... yeah, let's just call it vitriol, there's no way it's just another home-and-home series. Granted Tennessee is very much in uncharted territory in the many years since, and Connecticut hasn't felt threatened in a long time, but I don't think all those UConn posters I remember from way back have forgotten this rivalry for a second.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
^^^Free Emily!

(Just kidding. Emily is too nice a person, and I want Ego wide awake whenever we do put another L on his resume).

Ball control will be vital for our chances to win. And of course that’s been stated in numerous posts in here already. If Horston could just reel
In some of her “want to do it all” mentality and create for others, it’ll be closer than most think. Go big orange.

VN Store

Back