Cooper Mays possibly out for Florida

i think we'll be fine. my biggest worry is that Napier is going to go for most 4th down, this puts a lot of pressure on our defense. Napier has nothing to lose. he did it last year and we struggled to get the defense off the field.

Radio this AM says he will be re-evaluated VA week. (next week). Don't know what that means though. Just a check of progress?

Last edited:
It’s from one of Basilio’s cohorts (ORANGE THROAT) on his blog this morning.
The Tony Basilio Show
click on the blog for the report…you don’t have to listen to Basilios show.
just click on the link to READ the blog report….scroll down a little to ORANGE THROAT section.
First problem is that you're listening to Basilio or at least doing so believing anything he reports. He is LOUDLY wrong... frequently. He seems to have had access and connections in the AD in the past. I think he had a lot of links during Fulmer. But if you were a HC... would you trust him with insider info? AP and Hubbs don't report what they've been asked not to report... and they surely don't embellish it.

i think we'll be fine. my biggest worry is that Napier is going to go for most 4th down, this puts a lot of pressure on our defense. Napier has nothing to lose. he did it last year and we struggled to get the defense off the field.

Napier was 5 of 6 on 4th down vs UT was he lucky, who knows but he went for it on 4th down vs (LSU,UGA,Vanderbilt & FSU all losses) they were unsuccessful and these teams just ran the clock out.
A lot of film out on his tendencies on 4th down.

Reactions: MegaVol615
First problem is that you're listening to Basilio or at least doing so believing anything he reports. He is LOUDLY wrong... frequently. He seems to have had access and connections in the AD in the past. I think he had a lot of links during Fulmer. But if you were a HC... would you trust him with insider info? AP and Hubbs don't report what they've been asked not to report... and they surely don't embellish it.

this

Reactions: onevol74
Brian Kelly did that, too. You saw it backfire. Our defense will be improved.

Last edited:
Our coaches are intelligent and prudent. They're not a dude on the radio trying to stir up an audience (apparently, fear sells) or a guy on the internet playing "tough guy" or "chicken little."

That means they will likely be thoughtful about Cooper. He's a big piece of the offense. When they can play others in the spot, one would assume they will do so. It's basic risk management. And I wouldn't expect them to announce a lot of information about injuries, since that is dumb.

We have Lane and Addison is a very talented and young player who will continue to get developed and likely see action.

Here's what Halzle said yesterday about the OL. “Feel really good about how the offensive line’s looking. Like you said, there are guys that can rotate in and play a bunch of spots. That’s what’s really good about the guys we have is, guys can go in and out. We’ve got guys that can play all three positions, so it’s really helpful having that kind of utilization with the guys up front. Feel really good about the five we’re going to roll out there with in a couple weeks and feel like we can put a good product on the field with them.”

Here's what Hazle said yesterday when asked whether tempo would be affected by Mays being out. “No issues with our (tempo), that’s how we play. Everybody knows how we play. We play one type of way when we take the field, so we’re gonna roll.”

Here's what Halzle said yesterday when asked about training young players to play offense at this speed and with this tempo. "We show continuous tape. We call it all mechanics of how everything should operate between the snap. And the biggest thing we have to drive home to our young guys or our transfers coming in is it’s not a fire drill out there, everyone running around crazy. All it is is efficiency between the snaps, operate efficiently between the snap and you’re gonna be fine. If you’re all over the place between the snap, you’re gonna have a hard time functioning. Like that’s boilerplate level what it is to be able to play it like we do.”

If you open the link you will see that This is a report on Basilios blog from someone else named Orange Throat.
However, Basilio has echoed the thought that Mays situation is worse than Heupel has let on.
im sure that mainstream reporters like AP and Hubbs and others know what the REAL STORY is with Mays.
But since they haven’t told the public, for whatever reason, we don’t know For sure.
Love Tony or hate him, he does have many sources in the UTAD since he has been covering the Vols for so long.
Of course, I and all Vol fans hope that Cooper heals as soon as possible. If not, Lane must step up.

Funny enough, everything I’ve heard about Addison Nichols is the exact opposite of what his “source” said

The sad thing about Basilio's position by the nature of his job is that he is almost required to "sell" the idea that the coaches aren't letting on to x, y, and z. This puts him in the unfortunate position of "selling" doubt in the staff.

Reactions: LadyVolette
The world is always falling with TB. Thats how he gets his clicks.
I remember listening to him in 1988-2001ish when I lived in East Tennessee.. everything was so dramatic 😂 and that was just the radio.. (pre-clicks) 😂

Lol. Center is the hardest position to replace on the OL. You can’t just slide anyone there.
The 2nd string center(s) has been practicing with the starters for weeks since Mays has been out. They need to be ready to go.
I’ve thought they should put Lampley in there and give him a crash course. He is smart and would have no problem learning anything he didn’t know about the position. He’s not our best lineman but I think at this point in his career he could be serviceable at center.

Basillo literally said on the radio yesterday that Cooper would be back for Florida. Come on man your better than to trust a dude named orange throat over all of the other insiders in the program

Reactions: HalfullVol
Our D will be able to do whatever it has to. We will score 40+, they less than 20.

AP said yesterday he could be back for AP but should be back for Florduh. I will choose AP over TB all day every day and twice on Sunday.

Agreed...and...didn't I hear AP let it slip in an exchange with Hubbs alluding to it being a "hernia deal"?

BTW...AP has been open and honest of his concern of the O-Line ALL Summer & Fall Camp.

Reactions: HalfullVol

VN Store

Back