Could BJ be next great coach in SEC?

Gotta beat Florida or Bammer first.... Maybe we can win a game on the road against Ole Miss. That would be a good start.

Go Vols.

No we don't. None of us have any idea who or how many of Jones' recruits will make it.

Consider Carr. When he was being recruited, you would have found FAR more here predicting that he would be a starter and a stud by now than predicting he would be gone because he couldn't cut it. Great athlete with ideal size and great success in HS. He was one of Jones' prized recruits in the '13 class.

That doesn't mean they'll stay in the program or become contributors.

And over time you'll see some attrition among Jones' recruits too. It may happen early or late. It may happen before they sign or after. But how much attrition he has and who... will matter.

If I included all of the recruits that Dooley brought in that didn't make it the list would have been a lot longer.

My point was that Dooley had several recruits that never made it to their first class.

Butch has not had that issue yet. Advantage: Butch.

The legacy class was great but the class he's building now will not be ranked that high unless he adds some big time players with his last few spots. A normal sized class that avg's 3.27 stars is going to land UT somewhere around 20th.

Without knowing what attrition is going to be, that would mean his recruiting isn't out of line with Dooley's for his first 3 classes on average.

The jury is still out on his ability to coach at this level of competition... and on his recruiting more so than most seem to realize.

How many legacy recruits out of that class of 30 plus do you think we had? I think the answer is 6, but I would have to check.

You fail to give Mizzou any credit. They were a very decent team in a down SEC East last year. Now if he would've started Worley against UF and we lost, people would complain because he didn't start Peterman. It was a roll of the dice with that call. No one knew Peterman was going to lay an egg that game. It really is all a moot point anyway because we were down to one true freshman QB at the end of the year with a banged up team with little to no depth and questionable talent. Only one defensive player was drafted, and he was drafted more because of his size rather than his ability.

Exactly. That people people just cavalierly throw around "we would've beaten Florida if we'd only started Worley" is laughable. Worley played the entire second half..... the same second half in which Tennessee was out scored 14-10.

Only time will tell. But it sure looks in Butch's favor.. He is a hell of a recruiter.

It is rather easy to recruit to U.T. now! Look at all of the empty slots that were available.

Hell, everyone gets immediate playing time...

Wait until we have a roster full of All Americans at every position. Then try to get a highschool 5* All American to come to U.T. and sit on the bench, while he watches Dormandy play...... NOT!!!!! That recruit will go where he can get sooner palying itme.

Exactly. That people people just cavalierly throw around "we would've beaten Florida if we'd only started Worley" is laughable. Worley played the entire second half..... the same second half in which Tennessee was out scored 14-10.

those same people forget how awful worley was prior to the Florida game. Truly sickening football to watch.

Reactions: 1 person
No we don't. None of us have any idea who or how many of Jones' recruits will make it.

Consider Carr. When he was being recruited, you would have found FAR more here predicting that he would be a starter and a stud by now than predicting he would be gone because he couldn't cut it. Great athlete with ideal size and great success in HS. He was one of Jones' prized recruits in the '13 class.

That doesn't mean they'll stay in the program or become contributors.

And over time you'll see some attrition among Jones' recruits too. It may happen early or late. It may happen before they sign or after. But how much attrition he has and who... will matter.

Carr wasn't a CBJ recruit. CBJ just didn't lose him when he took over.

Well if we're just going on recruiting, does the OP put Sumlin and Malzahn in the same category with Butch?

Jones was "bearhunting" with a switch. Just being competitive told me alot about their staff. The 2013 team had maybe 10 "winning" SEC players on it.

Butch has exceeded my expectations thus far. Time will tell if he's great. He seems good people, so I'm rooting for him.

I agree with 99% of all the positive comments and signs that say he will get it done. The 1% reservation I have is how the heck could you let Vandy beat you at home? That just didn't pass the smell test for me. I hope it was just a fluke.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with 99% of all the positive comments and signs that say he will get it done. The 1% reservation I have is how the heck could you let Vandy beat you at home? That just didn't pass the smell test for me. I hope it was just a fluke.

Did you watch the game? You know we had an injured freshman QB playing right. Injured thumb so that limited the passing game. Our underperforming OL wasn't built to run block.

Did you watch the game? You know we had an injured freshman QB playing right. Injured thumb so that limited the passing game. Our underperforming OL wasn't built to run block.

Was at the game, yes I understand. Home game, bowl birth on line, winning season at your fingertips. All I'm saying is I think a "great" coach finds a way to win even under the circumstances. Now, with that said great recruiting can make up for good coaching.

Was at the game, yes I understand. Home game, bowl birth on line, winning season at your fingertips. All I'm saying is I think a "great" coach finds a way to win even under the circumstances. Now, with that said great recruiting can make up for good coaching.

Bull Shat....when we couldn't throw he ran the ball. That was our weakness. He adapted the game plan as much as possible. Very few if any coaches could win under those conditions.

Bull Shat....when we couldn't throw he ran the ball. That was our weakness. He adapted the game plan as much as possible. Very few if any coaches could win under those conditions.

You stated "very few" and if you will go back the OP's question was about being "great". It's ok if my opinion is that Butch is a good coach not a great coach. I Also think Butch is a great recruiter. There is nothing negative about those statements. So to sum it up, good coach + great recruiter is probably a good receipt for a lot of wins.

If I included all of the recruits that Dooley brought in that didn't make it the list would have been a lot longer.

My point was that Dooley had several recruits that never made it to their first class.

Butch has not had that issue yet. Advantage: Butch.
It isn't an advantage until we actually see those players contribute.

The one class we have a measure on so far is the '13 class. Two of the five 4* players Jones signed are already gone. Sanders appears to have been passed by a Fr.

Jabo Lee who you must have forgotten about never made it to campus.

Malik Brown is gone already too, correct?

I'm not throwing stones at Jones over attrition. It happens just like it happened with Dooley and Kiffin and Fulmer.

How many legacy recruits out of that class of 30 plus do you think we had? I think the answer is 6, but I would have to check.

Something like that but a couple were Pied Pipers. They helped recruiting tremendously. On second count, I think there were 7 with 5 of them being 4* players... and two of the others being Berry's.

I'm not sure who said UT "would" have beaten them. But UT would have played the game differently. It would have been managed differently. Worley probably wouldn't have been slinging the ball around like he did after coming in. It certainly isn't a stretch to say Worley would have been better than 4/11 for 5 yards and 3 turnovers in the 1st half.

UT would have had a better chance for the win. It is the coach's job to give his team their best chance to win.

BTW, I still respect the decision. It took guts. But a coach isn't evaluated on his guts... he's evaluated on the quality of his decisions. That would went terribly wrong.

VN Store

Back