Curious how many of you would like to see Bruce Pearl as our next basketball coach.

Why are we even talking about the next UT coach? Seems extremely disrespectful to Barnes and his staff considering all that he has accomplished here and has continued to do so.

Tell me what Pearl has accomplished here other than an elite 8? Barnes has the better record, just not post season.

Even when Barnes beats Pearl, you get posts like this.
Barnes is my guy but Bruce breathed life back into a dead program. I still remember the embarrassing black curtains reducing the arena size and it was still empty. His carnival barker style put asses in seats, bringing pizza to students in line, challenging Florida and winning, shirtless for the women's game. His first 2 years were fantastic just to sniff the possibility of being relevant again. I will never forget those teams. Then he self-destructed on his fame. IMO he did a lot.

Barnes is my guy but Bruce breathed life back into a dead program. I still remember the embarrassing black curtains reducing the arena size and it was still empty. His carnival barker style put asses in seats, bringing pizza to students in line, challenging Florida and winning, shirtless for the women's game. His first 2 years were fantastic just to sniff the possibility of being relevant again. I will never forget those teams. Then he self-destructed on his fame. IMO he did a lot.

Pearl made a terrible basketball team somewhat relevant

Barnes has stabilized us into a relevant winning program

I'll take what we have now over entertainment and theater.

Pearl was good here at the time, we have our coach now

Curious how many of you would like to see Bruce Pearl as our next basketball coach. I’ll start by raising my hand. Pearl put Tennessee basketball back on the map which was no easy feat. I met him shortly after he was hired in 2005 at the Reebok ABCD camp in Hackensack, New Jersey. O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love were the big prospects there. Tubby Smith, Jim Boeheim and other big name coaches were there sitting in the stands at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Told my wife “look… It’s Bruce Pearl sitting up there by himself.“ We plopped down next to him and started a conversation. He couldn’t have been more engaging and passionate about Tennessee despite having just been hired. I told him how we camped out in line for Kentucky tickets during the early 80s with Dale Ellis, Michael Brooks and crew and how wild Stokely Athletic Center was in those days. He looked me dead in the eye and said “I’m going to do everything in my power to get it back to that.“ I could tell he absolutely meant it. You know what? He did. He actually did one better making poorly-designed, acoustically-challenged, non-intimidating TBA a home court advantage. He also knows how to coach deep into the NCAA tournament. Enough water has passed under the bridge. Bruce Pearl should succeed (the fairly-soon retiring) Rick Barnes. Same salary as Barnes is reasonable.. He’s a VFL. Can’t have much more skin here than he had. He had hot chicks on his boat on the Tennessee River and his wife divorced him and turned gangsta naming her hair salon “Alimony.“. Sounds like a very Tennessee thing.
Delete your account

Why do some people believe there is a secret club of Vol fans who want Pearl back?

Vol fan #1 - " Do you like coach Pearl?"

Vol fan #2 - " yeah, I like him and I appreciate what he did here"

Vol fan #1 - " based on your answer, you must hate Barnes and want Pearl back."

Vol fan #2 - "I didn't say that at all."

Vol fan #1 - "too late"

Pearl made a terrible basketball team somewhat relevant

Barnes has stabilized us into a relevant winning program

I'll take what we have now over entertainment and theater.

Pearl was good here at the time, we have our coach now

Pearl was very good, but he inherited some talent- NBA PG and our school’s best shooter. That first year was much better than expected, but Barnes inherited a much worse situation.

I'd rather drink bleach mixed with cyanide, then add some of that hipster sparkling water, just to make it really bad

Threw his assistants under the bus. Starts Steven effin’ Pearl instead of Maymon. Hung around Knoxville being an attention hoe instead of being quiet and letting Cuonzo do his job. Filling the roster up with thugs he recruited. Lied to the NCAA. Lied to his bosses at UT. It’s ridiculous to ever mention the possibility of bringing him back to coach UT. Barn is a good spot for him. They deserve each other.

PREEEEAAACCCCHHHHHH

also still gripes about being fired (forgetting that UT gave him a million bucks while his staff got nothing and got canned b/c he made them lie, and when interviewed about Lofton having his jersey retired, sneaks it in there again while making it about himself. Because that's what he does and who he is. He's a punk and a clown and this question is odd and ill timed.

Why do some people believe there is a secret club of Vol fans who want Pearl back?

Vol fan #1 - " Do you like coach Pearl?"

Vol fan #2 - " yeah, I like him and I appreciate what he did here"

Vol fan #1 - " based on your answer, you must hate Barnes and want Pearl back."

Vol fan #2 - "I didn't say that at all."

Vol fan #1 - "too late"

uhhhh... did you not read the OP? He's not alone. There are a lot of sadly misguided people who would trade Barnes for Pearl right now, no questions asked.

Reactions: ReggieJohnsonFan
You’ve probably lived a good life but unless BP wins a Natty there, that’s not likely.
I know for a fact he’s gotten a few non P5 offers and turned them down. I don’t think it’s the most unlikely scenario in the world that they hand him the keys if he stays with Bruce the next 6 years.

VN Store

Back