D. Bates insights?

Yep, cause Swain has no more insight and doesn't talk to anymore players and coaches than the rest of us yahoos on VN. I know most of us get to attend practice and can head on up to the facilities just as often as good ol' former player Swain. So you're right, carries no weight that local media member and VFL Jayson Swain said it........might as well just have read it here.

:loco: dont come in here making sense and what not

Reactions: 3 people
As far as an every down player, it looks like TKjr may be the only one from the legacy class that makes a mark at UT.....note not counting special teams play of Evan Berry.

KMac we hardly knew ye.

Reactions: 2 people
He'll be fine. With the spread offenses in college, pretty much everyone, including us, have been playing a lot in the nickel. That only leaves 2 linebackers on the field at any time, and with JRM returning, unless he unseats Kirkland, he won't see much time anyways. Relax, he's just a true sophomore, and has plenty of time ahead of him.

Yeah, he may not make a big splash until next year. He's moved back outside, which fits him best. But there are a lot of bodies at OLB; he will have to fight to get playing time behind JRM. He was seeing the field as a true freshman before his injury. I still think he could do well. It will start with staying healthy for sure.

Injuries have been a major set back in his development. We will see him start to play a role this year and will be a very good replacement next your for JRM. Could still end up being drafted. Guys this is a good problem to have. It means we have depth. Just cause he has not taken JRM's starting position does not mean he is a bust.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, he may not make a big splash until next year. He's moved back outside, which fits him best. But there are a lot of bodies at OLB; he will have to fight to get playing time behind JRM. He was seeing the field as a true freshman before his injury. I still think he could do well. It will start with staying healthy for sure.

Seems like he will come back from injury behind Sapp on the depth chart at OLB, as well.

Injuries have been the issue holding Bates back. When he has been able to play, coaches have had good things to say about him. It's totally unfair to label someone as a bust because of injuries. We're not talking about Blair here. Bates can play. Hopefully, he will back this summer. However, he does face a challenge with the current talent level of the LBs.

Reactions: 1 person
Bates had shoulder surgery that put him back some 18mos and then other injuries haven't helped his position on the depth chart.......I still think he has a chance to be a good SEC LB given more time

He is not a middle linebacker! He is JRM's backup. They tried bulking up to move him to MLB his freshman year and he lost all his speed. Come on man!

It wasn't his freshman year, it was last year. He got some playing time early in his freshman year at OLB before his injury. It was before his soph year, last fall, that they tried him at MLB and he couldn't get any traction there. So yes, both freshman DKJr and walkon Jumper beat him out for playing time there.

Also, I'm not sure that he lost all his speed going from 215 to 230lbs. That would be a bit unusual. I heard that Bates' biggest issue playing there and indeed playing LB at all to date is his lack of physicality and picking up the schemes.

Last edited:
Reggie White.......

He was ALL-SEC, All-American, all everything from the first moment he stepped on the field at UT--am I right?

NO--he was injury-plagued and only started to shine by the end of his Junior & thru his Senior year...

I don't know--I'm not up there and watching practice every day....but give the kid time to develop and build a body able to absorb the SEC pounding a SEC LB takes....

He's still a young-un.....got plenty of time to shine....IF he can stay away from injuries....:salute:

I immediately thought of Reggie when I first saw this thread. He came out of high school very highly touted in both football and basketball. His immense God-given talent did not begin to consistently shine until halfway through his junior season and he became an unstoppable force of nature as a senior.

I immediately thought of Reggie when I first saw this thread. He came out of high school very highly touted in both football and basketball. His immense God-given talent did not begin to consistently shine until halfway through his junior season and he became an unstoppable force of nature as a senior.
There have been a wealth of college football players through the years who were virtual unknowns until their senior seasons that blossomed. Some even after they showed up in the NFL. Let's not be to quick to label a kid a bust before his final year, especially if injuries ended some seasons early. I am not down on young Bates at this point, expecting big things from him down the line.

It wasn't his freshman year, it was last year. He got some playing time early in his freshman year at OLB before his injury. It was before his soph year, last fall, that they tried him at MLB and he couldn't get any traction there. So yes, both freshman DKJr and walkon Jumper beat him out for playing time there.

Also, I'm not sure that he lost all his speed going from 215 to 230lbs. That would be a bit unusual. I heard that Bates' biggest issue playing there and indeed playing LB at all to date is his lack of physicality and picking up the schemes.

KB, this is a very fair assesment.

Ask Hubbs, PFort, etc... Bates had a little trouble with the cerebral side of the game. And hes just not a physical guy.

But all ive heard is that he is a great teammate. The guys love him.

Listen, even if he were healthy, NOBODY, is taking Jaylen Reeves-Maybins spot.

JRM is the BEST outside linebacker ive seen since Kevin Burnett. And stat wise he is more productive than he was.

Bates has a lot of athletisicm, but he doesnt have the overall skillset you need.

Sapp and McDowell, and Smith will play before him. And all 3 of those guys are really talented.

Lets hope Dillion gets healthy and creates some more competition.

Reggie White.......

He was ALL-SEC, All-American, all everything from the first moment he stepped on the field at UT--am I right?

NO--he was injury-plagued and only started to shine by the end of his Junior & thru his Senior year...

I don't know--I'm not up there and watching practice every day....but give the kid time to develop and build a body able to absorb the SEC pounding a SEC LB takes....

He's still a young-un.....got plenty of time to shine....IF he can stay away from injuries....:salute:

It is worth noting that Bates has only used one year of eligibility to date. Still a lot of years left in his career. Hope he can stay healthy, which is by no means a given. Not every great athlete is blessed with a body that can take SEC punishment. Marquez North and many others are examples. I hope DB eventually shows he can.

I don't see any reason to think Bates lacks physicality or toughness - and plenty of reasons to see that he doesn't. He had a torn shoulder labrum for a year and is injured again through this Spring. I'm sure this has been a huge setback in his development. Just give him time.

I don't see any reason to think Bates lacks physicality or toughness - and plenty of reasons to see that he doesn't. He had a torn shoulder labrum for a year and is injured again through this Spring. I'm sure this has been a huge setback in his development. Just give him time.

Or maybe he's just been recruited over

VN Store

Back