Dave is shopping at Dollar General

That's from the war room. It's complete speculation on vq part IMO. Not saying there's not some truth to it but it seems vq is doing a bit of "CYA" if you ask me. They've said repeatedly that hart would go north of $2mill for the right hire. Now they come at it from this angle. It's CYA due to competition with 247.

It's the same reason that their coaching got board is a mile long. They are scared to death that We$ is gonna have the hire on his board and they won't.

I think vq are the best in town but you've got to realize that this is speculation and CYA on their part.

How much more will a winning coach bringing in Elite 8 or Final 4 money, plus filling TBA be worth. Is another million a year a drop in the bucket to what a super successful program would bring in? Add in jerseys and Power T caps and mugs. Add in excited boosters who would roll their private jets to the coaches front door when he goes crootin. I don't have the numbers, but I expect positive TV exposure alone for the University would pay for itself.

How much more will a winning coach bringing in Elite 8 or Final 4 money, plus filling TBA be worth. Is another million a year a drop in the bucket to what a super successful program would bring in? Add in jerseys and Power T caps and mugs. Add in excited boosters who would roll their private jets to the coaches front door when he goes crootin. I don't have the numbers, but I expect positive TV exposure alone for the University would pay for itself.

IMO the issue is it's all a roll of the dice. Hart could hire Marshall or Smart this afternoon and either guy not win more than Zo did here. There is a chance they could win more. It comes down to is Hart willing to pay millions of dollars(extra) to HOPE it all plays out in UTs favor. I do think Smart and Marshall would give UT the best chance to win more games. I'm not sure of it. When your talking about breaking the bank(3-4 mil for a BB coach at UT would be breaking the bank), it's got to be a sure thing. I don't see it.

I swear you gotta hand it to Hubbs though. This little paragraph in the war room is gonna generate a lot of talk today. He didn't say anything that was false but he puts this out there and people will treat it as "UT is dumpster diving for coaches." Meanwhile, they've already said UT would go north of $2m.

It's the same thing they did with the plane deal. They put just a little blurb in the war room and speculation went rampant. It generated a lot of heat and was probably blown way out of proportion by the fans here.

Hubbs isn't a spring chicken.

I think Hart is smart enough to know if he hits a home run & it cost $2-3M he will get that back 10 fold in no time. Let's not hang him until we see what he's done.

Why hate on Dollar General? It's cheap, right by my apartment, and they have some great deals when I go looking

Doesn't Dollar General carry the same exact iTunes card that the epic solid glass Apple Store in Manhattan does?

Who says a dollar can't buy much anymore? Everyday is dollar day at the Dollar General Store.

Some good bargains can be found at the dollar store.

Why is Auburn apparently willing to spend more for a basketball coach than Tennessee?

That's ridiculous.

Reactions: 4 people
We offered Cuonzo $1.8 mil, and we're getting $1.3 mil from the buyout. That tells me we could pay a coach $2.2 mil for 3 years, or $2 mil for 6 years and not spend a dime more than what Cuonzo would have cost us. I'm not seeing the 'we can't afford to pay' argument.

Can the UTAD afford a raise from 1.5m to 2m? Of course it can.

A Shaka Smart hire probably sells a few hundred thousand dollars of season tickets within a month of the announcement.

That being said, I think the Butch Jones hire is probably similar to what he'll do this time around too. Get a solid up and coming coach with a lot of energy who understands the entertainment demands of this fanbase.

Hubbs got the whole showmanship/entertainment piece wrong IMO (and I love Hubbs). It's not about sparkle and pizazz, it's about constantly feeding this hungry fanbase with more information, interviews, content, etc. Butch gets it. My guess is Hart is looking for a guy who understands this on the basketball side and has a passion for feeding the fanbase and taking this program to the next level.

We offered Cuonzo $1.8 mil, and we're getting $1.3 mil from the buyout. That tells me we could pay a coach $2.2 mil for 3 years, or $2 mil for 6 years and not spend a dime more than what Cuonzo would have cost us. I'm not seeing the 'we can't afford to pay' argument.

If Hart felt a coach was a sure thing, I believe he would spend the $$.

Things to consider, if you hire a 2 million a year type coach, he will also have a buyout and likely cancel out Zo's or cost UT even more. Howland is the only coach I think w/out a buyout. Also coaches who make more, usually have staffs that would cost more.

Could UT pay 2.5-3.5 a year for a head basketball coach? Of course they could. I just don't think they will.

What was that about Hart putting a package together for Marshall over $2.5m?

Oh yea, bull****

Could he have done it and Marshall said No? Just because the man does not end up the new UT BB coach, does not mean an effort was not made. Of course I'm saying it's possible. I doubt anyone can say with 100% certainty what Hart did or will do.

Could he have done it and Marshall said No? Just because the man does not end up the new UT BB coach, does not mean an effort was not made. Of course I'm saying it's possible. I doubt anyone can say with 100% certainty what Hart did or will do.

VQ said they were told they could've gotten Marshall to the negotiating table if they were willing to start talks at $2.5m....so I guess my answer at least is no, I don't think he was offered that and said no.

VQ said they were told they could've gotten Marshall to the negotiating table if they were willing to start talks at $2.5m....so I guess my answer at least is no, I don't think he was offered that and said no.

Then they turn around and say hart is fact gathering. They are in CYA mode. I love vq but they are speculating.

Reactions: 2 people

You don't remember saying that Hart would exceed $2m for the right guy (Marshall), in response to me saying I doubt we go over $2m? And I told you that Hubbs and Lewis both did say that, but followed it up with "I will believe it when I see it"?

It's playing out exactly as I figured, Hart's not willing to spend the money, just like LWS said way back.

I appreciate the concern that's all over Volnation for fellow VN members. Everybody always so concerned about other posters setting themselves up for disappointment. It's very touching.

VN Store

Back