Define a Prefeered Walk On

A PWO is guaranteed a spot on the 105-man roster and is generally first in line to receive a scholarship if one opens. These are the main benefits over someone who tries to just walk-on.

Reactions: 2 people
Was a QB in HS. We'll see what he ends up. I think a "preferred walk on" is someone who is recruited but not offered a scholarship. It can basically guarantee a spot on the team without a scholarship. Not enough scholarships to go around I guess.

A preferred walk-on Is recruited by the coach and offered a roster spot. The player isn’t offered a scholarship but usually told it's a possibility in the future.

A regular walk-on tries out for the team at an open try out. He's not recruited per se.

That's a general description.

Reactions: 1 person
They do everything scholarship players do. Live,Eat,Sleep etc....

They just have to pay for there tuition and hope they earn a scholarship down the line.

They are recruited and invited to walk on, in my day you just showed up when they posted tryouts during winter workouts. Then Coach Kirk would kick your butt until Spring, and they would identify those that could possibly help. Plus we had JV also

Add to the above:

A prefered walkon can come in for fall practice when the scholarship players report.

A non-preferred walkon can't join the team until classes begin for the fall semester.

-vols-football/270534-define-prefeered-walk.html

that is how they spelled it... u som britches..

preferred
adjective UK ​ /prɪˈfɜːd/ US ​ /prɪˈfɝːd/
​
liked or wanted more than anything else:
The earlier train would be my preferred option.

Last edited:
Just wondering what most on this board think of preferred walk-ons? Are you one that thinks that PWOs are worthless and do not deserve opportunities, or are you of the mindset that if a PWO possesses the same traits, stats, film as the scholarship players in his position group, that he at least should be given the opportunity by the coaching staff to prove himself?

Too many people on this board complain about lack of depth, etc. on the team, yet there are PWOs that are just as good, and sometimes better than those that have gotten game time, but yet do not get the opportunity to compete by the coaching staff....

Tough and not necessarily fair and those guys are the heart of a team!

A prefeered walk-on is a walk-on before the time that they become feared. This is also sometimes refeered to as the time before the walk-on "wants it."

Reactions: 2 people
A prefeered walk-on is a walk-on before the time that they become feared.

We may just have our first new Volnation Dictionary entry of 2017. Congratulations, Orange Daddy. Just don't be a Pre-Madonna and let it go to your head and whatnot.

a prefeared walk on is a non scholarship player that scares everyone before he gets on campus.

That would be a guy who walks on...as in doesn't have a scholarship...and is preferred.

VN Store

Back