Depth Chart released

Impressive that Kongbo is already backing up Barnett.

We'll stilk see a ton of Kyle Phillips, Darrell Taylor.

I believe you will see a lot of Gualden at safety. Maliek has been playing at a high level at Nickel.

Maybe Moseley will trust himself in the game more. Him and Martin are both talented.

Reactions: 2 people
Obrien is good but you gotta think of kmac had really established himself he'd be starting over vickers

Vickers is no slouch. I think he's the strongest guy on the team. Also, I heard on Vol calls the other evening that Shoop has said we will see more rotation because he wants our best guys peaking in the 4th quarter. Shy being in the two deep is more positive than the "negative" of Khalil being behind Danny O.

Reactions: 5 people
Is this using a common core method of testing? The real test is on the field and Moseley stays getting burnt....

Martin needs to be oposite Cam.

The game is Thursday, how far away are you from Knoxville and how soon can you get up there to tell Butch he is out of his mind?

Reactions: 10 people
Vickers is no slouch. I think he's the strongest guy on the team. Also, I heard on Vol calls the other evening that Shoop has said we will see more rotation because he wants our best guys peaking in the 4th quarter. Shy being in the two deep is more positive than the "negative" of Khalil being behind Danny O.

Good analogy. Danny & Kendall are the starters; KMac & Shy are the finishers.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm not majorly worried about who's "starting" on defense. The reason for that is that I bet everyone in the defensive two-deep, particularly the front 7, gets plenty of significant reps. Might even go three-deep up front at times. Shoop is a big believer in rotating a lot of bodies to keep everyone as fresh as possible, and we to some extent have the luxury of doing that this year. I'm relieved to see that too, especially seeing the way our defense struggled late in games, partially because our first string was tired from taking too many reps over the course of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
OL and LB are my concerns.

An injury at DT could be bad as well.

That depth chart is flexible.

At DT if we were to lose Vickers and Obrien, we could move Kongbo to DT. Shy still needs to be brought along slowly.

So Kmac and Kongbo would start imo
With Tuttle, Picciu, and Alexis Johnson still available. We should be fine.

Linebacker we have McDowell and Sapp that provides good depth. Maybe Dillion can get healthy and carve out a role

Reactions: 1 person
Hope O'brien has a great year.

He did last year. He is starting because he is a very good DT. He has good strength and has good technique. Khalil is not a bust. Both will play, but O'brien should be the starter. It is finally great to have two good players at critical positions.

Wow Abernathy is the starting safety? I liked Gauldens speed at safety but I guess that's why I'm not the coach.

Maybe look at it as they love Gaulden at safety and more than others at nickel? He's a big hitter and they'd like that deployed closer to the LOS. I really don't think it's a preference thing. Just a maximize the playmakers on the field at the same time metric.

Wow Abernathy is the starting safety? I liked Gauldens speed at safety but I guess that's why I'm not the coach.

Abernathy played so well that they decided to move Gaulden back to nickle which suits his skillset a little better. Swain said look for Gaulden to start there with Foreman "right on his heels". He also said Abernathy better play very well because Warrior, who he said is "much more athletic", is coming and once he gets everything figured out may wind up starting beside TKJr this year.

It's great to have so much competition at these positions with so much talent.

Reactions: 6 people
Maybe look at it as they love Gaulden at safety and more than others at nickel? He's a big hitter and they'd like that deployed closer to the LOS. I really don't think it's a preference thing. Just a maximize the playmakers on the field at the same time metric.

That's it Butchna. Abernathy (and Warrior) playing so well allowed them to move Rashaan back to nickle where his skillset is even better suited. Would've made a very good safety, likely makes an excellent to great nickle.

Wow, kmac behind Danny O. DT and OT concern me

:lolabove: You ass-u-me that you know much more than you do.

I tried to tell people. The rotation will probably end up with 4 DT's getting roughly the same amount of time.... but you can't just discount guys with experience who according to the coaches are playing well.

I was also called names for saying that Moseley stood a very good chance of starting at CB.

That's it Butchna. Abernathy (and Warrior) playing so well allowed them to move Rashaan back to nickle where his skillset is even better suited. Would've made a very good safety, likely makes an excellent to great nickle.

I think I read something about Gaulden being able to play anywhere in the secondary. Having a guy like that is a luxury.

That depth chart also suggests that Shoop has tailored "his system" to the players he has.... and will run a lot more nickel than we might have thought early on.

I have a hard time envisioning many games where UT would want Bynum on the field more than Gaulden or Foreman. No disrespect intended at all.

Still a little disappointed that Elliott Berry hasn't found a niche.

Reactions: 4 people
People are worried about the secondary when that seems to be Shoop's favorite unit of focus?

Fools.

:lolabove: You ass-u-me that you know much more than you do.

I tried to tell people. The rotation will probably end up with 4 DT's getting roughly the same amount of time.... but you can't just discount guys with experience who according to the coaches are playing well.

I was also called names for saying that Moseley stood a very good chance of starting at CB.

THEY do have a personal stake. :) So they got PERSONAL. :loco:

Sam linebacker kinda surprised me. If I'm not mistaken Bynum has been a good looking player when they were searching for linebackers last preseason but there was a reason he didn't separate himself, and I can't remember why.

Abernathy must be the real deal.

McKenzie yet again not getting the start. Not saying he is a bust but I just had higher expectations.

It will be fine.

Some of it is to send a message to the guys currently listed as #2.

A lot of guys should play week 1.

And bottom line is that it's all subject to revision, week to week.

VN Store

Back