Destiny Slocum

Another player that really could have helped Tennessee off the board, as the rest of the SEC continues to get better...
Totally agree they missed Lauren & Robyn from Auburn, how the hell did they let Kentucky and Missouri get good players .... Kyra Lambert gone Vanderbilt got Bartram, Erica Haynes-Overton, to Kansas mid year transfer.... Erin Howard from Auburn to Florida state ... Destiny to Arkansas 🤦🏽‍♀️

Jesus the SEC is getting tougher and tougher!

Isn’t that a good thing? People on this site b!+ched and complained about how the Pac12 and ACC had passed us as the better conferences. So this should help and good players want to play in a good conference (unless they want to go to UConn which plays a tough non conference)

Reactions: travis929
Isn’t that a good thing? People on this site b!+ched and complained about how the Pac12 and ACC had passed us as the better conferences. So this should help and good players want to play in a good conference (unless they want to go to UConn which plays a tough non conference)

agree, as the SEC goes, the teams within it must follow
Time for us to beef it back up too

She fits the playing styles of Oregon, Arkansas, DePaul. Any run and gun team. I honestly think she would have flourished at Maryland and should have stayed there.
Just because they put up big offensive numbers does not mean Oregon is a run and gun team. They are just very efficient at scoring. This was generally because Sabrina, along with others on that team, made good decisions. They actually passed the ball to the best option available. If they put it on the floor it was with purpose. Slocum would not fit in there.

Yeah, all these SEC teams are getting better without having played a game yet.

After all, look how much better we got when Diamond DeShields transferred here. Some things are indisputably clear...no data required.

Were going to need to pick it up on getting at least one more top player into the program for next season. Other teams are making moves that is going to make the SEC extremely tough top to bottom. I don't know who the coaches have in mind we need a point guard with a lot of ability to help Horston. The main problem looks to be quality depth you really don't want to depend of freshmen that much hopefully we'll see the player or players we need join the team. I'm hoping the coaches are not thinking about one of the freshmen as a backup point guard. I like the player we got inside we need a guard that is fantastic.

Last edited:
After all, look how much better we got when Diamond DeShields transferred here. Some things are indisputably clear...no data required.

Not sure what your point is here. What do you think Tennessee's record would have been those two seasons without DeShields? I shudder to think about it...

Not sure what your point is here. What do you think Tennessee's record would have been those two seasons without DeShields? I shudder to think about it...

The point is that automatic assumptions that adding a talented player will make the team better don't always pan out.

The results:

2014 (DeShields redshirt on bench): 30-6; 15-1 conf.; T-1st SEC

2015 (DeShields yr. 1) 22-14; 8-8 conf.; T-7th SEC

2016 (DeShields last yr) 20-12; 10-6 conf.; 5th SEC

The year after she left, the LV actually improved slightly to 25-8; 11-5 and. T-4th SEC. They had Russell and Nared the entire time she was there; added Westbrook, Davis, and Hayes as freshmen the year she left.

In case the point still isn't clear, even adding the national freshman POY and future 1st-round WNBA draft pick doesn't guarantee that your team will get better, even with some highly-talented teammates who had already seen team success.

Last edited:
The point about DeShields is not that easy to establish...All you have to do is look at the WNBA. Who is making an impact in that league and who is not? It is pretty obvious DeShields had all the necessary requirements to play the game...The Coaching, not so much.

That's true. No one is denying the talent or even some of the individual stats put up.

The challenge is to the statement that the teams SEC adding talent are necessarily getting better as a team. I'm assuming that the poster is talking about actual team results as reflected by wins and not just on paper or determined by stats of single players.

One can reasonably say that a lot of other SEC teams have been adding talented players during the off-season. It remains to be seen whether those additions translate into better team results and whether those additions will complement the team, be a detriment, or simply have no discernable effect.

We had back-to-back Top Five recruiting classes, but that did not result in a "better" team in the long run due to defections, internal strife, dismissals, coaching deficiciences, bad chemistry, etc.

The proof is in the pudding...not the recipe.

It really helped UT in football when the other SEC schools got good.

oh wait, no it didn’t.

oh wait, no it didn’t.
That's true. No one is denying the talent or even some of the individual stats put up.

The challenge is to the statement that the teams SEC adding talent are necessarily getting better as a team. I'm assuming that the poster is talking about actual team results as reflected by wins and not just on paper or determined by stats of single players.

One can reasonably say that a lot of other SEC teams have been adding talented players during the off-season. It remains to be seen whether those additions translate into better team results and whether those additions will complement the team, be a detriment, or simply have no discernable effect.

We had back-to-back Top Five recruiting classes, but that did not result in a "better" team in the long run due to defections, internal strife, dismissals, coaching deficiciences, bad chemistry, etc.

If my eggs taste bad I’m going to first add salt before I throw out the whole plate.

I agree. As we have seen in seasons past. Just having talented players isn’t going to get it done. There are many variables that determine the success of a team. Chemistry and work ethic are really high on the list.

You can put 8 5 star players on a team. But if something happens and they don’t get along? Watch out, because you’re in for a long one.

I don’t think any one team has improved themselves a ton with the transfer portal. MSST losing their coach almost certainly means they will have some reorganization. I think McCray will do well here, but invariably it takes a season or two to implement your system.

Arkansas picking up Slocum was big for them, but they still don’t have an answer in the paint. Their biggest problems last season were rebounding and post defense. So far those look to be recurring issue.

Kentucky will be tough and guard heavy. Again they will be lacking any experienced size. Something we will actually have a little bit of next season.

Ole Miss adding Austin won’t do much for them IMO. She is a really nice player, but she does not have the skill set to do it alone. She doesn’t have the handles to be the stretch 4 she thinks she is. They had an absolute dumpster fire of a season last year. It’s going to take them 2 or 3 seasons to fully sort things out.

Georgia getting Davenport didn’t frighten me. I watched her play some this season and she mostly looked lost. She’s needs to put on about 35 pounds as well. She gets shoved around so easily. And that was in the Big 10. SEC post play is going to shock her I think.

South Carolina will be the best team again I think.

I do hope we add at least one more quality transfer, but in the big picture I don’t think we’re in a terrible spot. Particularly inside, where several other teams seem to be lacking. We are getting stronger.

Reactions: creekdipper
Were going to be better at most positions. I think Green will be a huge value inside and expect all of Key, Saunders, Kk, and McCoy to be better. I don't worry about the three with Davis and hopefully Burrell will finally both display talent and discipline. I like Horston at the point, but don't want to go into the season with only her at point guard and the backup a freshman like Salary. We lost two experienced guards and the replacements are two inexperienced guards. We need players that don't need on the job training at the guard positions. After Burrell a junior you have Horston and Rennie sophomores. Darby and Salary freshmen which doesn't look like a group that will have enough experience for us to improve our record which I am expecting to happen.

Reactions: VolBall09
Were going to be better at most positions. I think Green will be a huge value inside and expect all of Key, Saunders, Kk, and McCoy to be better. I don't worry about the three with Davis and hopefully Burrell will finally both display talent and discipline. I like Horston at the point, but don't want to go into the season with only her at point guard and the backup a freshman like Salary. We lost two experienced guards and the replacements are two inexperienced guards. We need players that don't need on the job training at the guard positions. After Burrell a junior you have Horston and Rennie sophomores. Darby and Salary freshmen which doesn't look like a group that will have enough experience for us to improve our record which I am expecting to happen.

Agreed, hoping we can get a grad transfer guard or a transfer guard who would qualify for immediate play. I really don’t think we’re in a bad spot though.

oh wait, no it didn’t.

Oh wait... yes it did because of SEC revenue sharing. The more money say Alabama brings it the more it helps out the SEC. The more SEC teams go to the bowl games the more it helps UT and brings in more money for facility upgrades and locker room upgrade.

Agreed, hoping we can get a grad transfer guard or a transfer guard who would qualify for immediate play. I really don’t think we’re in a bad spot though.
The only thing I worry about is an injury to any of the three top players really puts you in a bind. If it was Horston then the point guard would be a freshman. If it was Davis guess Burrell would switch and the two guard would be a freshman. Were solid in the post a little weak after the starters at guard. Adding one more player that is elite even a combo guard would certainly make me fell better overall.

The only thing I worry about is an injury to any of the three top players really puts you in a bind. If it was Horston then the point guard would be a freshman. If it was Davis guess Burrell would switch and the two guard would be a freshman. Were solid in the post a little weak after the starters at guard. Adding one more player that is elite even a combo guard would certainly make me fell better overall.

Yes I mentioned that the other day when someone was complaining that we were bringing up all these possible transfers. If Horston is injured, in particular, we are screwed. We will have a freshman 2 guard playing the point or Rae and Rennia splitting time out top. Not a good prospect, we need some more depth at the guard spots for certain.

The disturbing thing to me is other SEC teams have gotten better by hauling in top recruits but so far, the last few yrs, we have not. That has been the nub of the problem. KJH has not had a chance to change that trend yet and I sure hope she does. First step would be hauling in a top recruit.

Reactions: mcannon1
The disturbing thing to me is other SEC teams have gotten better by hauling in top recruits but so far, the last few yrs, we have not. That has been the nub of the problem. KJH has not had a chance to change that trend yet and I sure hope she does. First step would be hauling in a top recruit.
I think it's hard to come from a mid major and then try to quickly build relationships for 2021 and 2022 prospects that other coaches have spent years nurturing. I can't imagine these are the caliber of players that KJH was trying to get for MoSt. She'll need time to make a name for herself. I envision that Nikki will have the same issue at MSST. Otherwise, you're relying on kids that are hellbent on playing for a certain school, coach be damned. And there will be fewer of those kids that feel that way about Tennessee until they start winning again.

I think it's hard to come from a mid major and then try to quickly build relationships for 2021 and 2022 prospects that other coaches have spent years nurturing. I can't imagine these are the caliber of players that KJH was trying to get for MoSt. She'll need time to make a name for herself. I envision that Nikki will have the same issue at MSST. Otherwise, you're relying on kids that are hellbent on playing for a certain school, coach be damned. And there will be fewer of those kids that feel that way about Tennessee until they start winning again.
Totally agree, which is why I said KJH has not had the chance to reverse the trend yet. Unfortunately, its a viscous cycle - other SEC teams get elite recruits and get better, making our ascent that much more difficult, wins harder to come by. So we move farther and farther away from destination school status and our glory legacy. Can't get the players unless you win, but can't win without the players.

You said it best the other day, KJH is going to get the sternest of coaching tests, having to do more with less, create players who can scrap it out in an increasingly tough SEC landscape. She may very well be up to that challenge, I am pulling for her to do so.

You said it best the other day, KJH is going to get the sternest of coaching tests, having to do more with less, create players who can scrap it out in an increasingly tough SEC landscape. She may very well be up to that challenge, I am pulling for her to do so.

The good news is other SEC teams have done it. A perfect example is when UK best Tennessee last season. Howard was a freshman and foul trouble made her a non factor all game. They lost their starting PG to injury in the second half. Their best player was Maci Morris, who probably wouldn't have been able to get a callback from Holly as a recruit, but she kept them in the game until she fouled out late in the game. And they ended up winning with a rag tag group of no name players in the last 5 minutes. That's the type of team effort I'm hoping to see Kelly replicate, and truthfully, she's got more to work with than Mitchell had that year.

The good news is other SEC teams have done it. A perfect example is when UK best Tennessee last season. Howard was a freshman and foul trouble made her a non factor all game. They lost their starting PG to injury in the second half. Their best player was Maci Morris, who probably wouldn't have been able to get a callback from Holly as a recruit, but she kept them in the game until she fouled out late in the game. And they ended up winning with a rag tag group of no name players in the last 5 minutes. That's the type of team effort I'm hoping to see Kelly replicate, and truthfully, she's got more to work with than Mitchell had that year.
That would be such a fun team to watch and pull for. Especially after so many years of doing less with more. Sure hope that's what we get in 20-21, that is if we get 20-21 at all.

VN Store

Back