DG’s Giant TL;DR Completely Worthless Pre-Season Boredom Roundup!

even in Atlanta against an Atlanta-based GA Tech, we probably have a neutral-site edge in fandom.

The traveling Vols fans, the true Big Orange Caravan are beloved by Chambers of Commerce across the land. We are the poster children for visiting CFB fans - legion, affable, humble, good humored, and generous. St. Christopher smile upon us and imbue our hearts with charity and good will. Live it. Be gracious, helpful, and fun-loving, for this is who we truly are. Our reputation is more valuable than all the currency in our pockets and the collective balances of our credit cards. At home or abroad, we are Tennessee (ain't no place I'd rather be). May our spirits ever shine brightly. GBO.

Reactions: 3 people
Honest opinions and criticism is only allowed with Butch?

Is that what I said Behr? People can be critical of any coach they want, I just happen to disagree with those critical of McElwain based on what he accomplished last year given what he was playing with.

Great read buddy. I've needed something to help the wait. I was actually planning on posting something like this but you covered way more than I was going to.

My notes on the team after watching some games from last year: Tyler Byrd had more catches and reverses in more games than I remembered. I think that experience will give him confidence and announcers said multiple times that he was one of if not the fastest players on the team. I think he steps up big for us this year.

I agree completely on Drew Richmond. In the Missouri game he was about 50 50 on blocks but he was also facing Charles Harris most downs who likely has a solid NFL career ahead of him. He could really come into his own this year.

I think Dormady is going to prove a lot of people wrong this year.

Great read again man.

Last edited:
I think our secondary will actually be the strength of our team this year. It's going to be hard to do bad with guys like Kelly, Abernathy, Gaulden, Warrior, etc... Our safeties will be a big help in run support too.

Great write up. I think that we have more proven talent at WR than you think. Especially more than QB or RB. Byrd had some huge plays last year. That spin move and run on the final drive of regulation at A&M was scintillating. Also, I think the main change that we see from moving Scott to O-Coordinator is that Wolf will now be a large part of the offense and an important safety valve for our inexperienced QB's.

One thing I have seen repeated throughout the off-season is the unknown surrounding the promotion of Larry Scott to offensive coordinator. Yes, he will technically hold the OC title, but this is still Butch's offense and as long as Jones is in charge this offense will have some teeth. Besides his first year here with Worley Jones really hasn't had an underwhelming offense. People don't place enough credence in the fact that we have a VERY innovative and intuitive offensive mind as head coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Great write up DG. Team 121 does seem to have a lot of returning talent. Three big ifs--if S&C is no longer a concern, if everyone can play their assignments diligently and, if QD becomes a plug-n-play QB--LOOK OUT!!

I feel the same about LSU as sports writers feel about the VOLS. They say Tenn under preformed last year and are picked 3rd (or 4th) in the East. LSU has under preformed for a few years, and they are picked #2 in the entire SEC. I think LSU goes down in Neyland.

Reactions: 1 person
Would you please give John Adams and the rest of KNS some lessons DG? Very well done!

Bama LSU FL GA GT is close to brutal

We try to have this stuff both ways. We laugh at how weak the SEC East is and how mediocre the division is. All I have seen from several posters are arguments about how bad everyone else is and not how good Tennessee (or insert team here) is.

Then, we try to argue that playing those teams makes a schedule incredibly difficult.

Several people, if not on the schedule, would argue that Georgia Tech wouldn't be bowl eligible if they had to play in the SEC.

We try to have this stuff both ways. We laugh at how weak the SEC East is and how mediocre the division is. All I have seen from several posters are arguments about how bad everyone else is and not how good Tennessee (or insert team here) is.

Then, we try to argue that playing those teams makes a schedule incredibly difficult.

Several people, if not on the schedule, would argue that Georgia Tech wouldn't be bowl eligible if they had to play in the SEC.

I agree about GT. They are not a top team but I can see adding them to list only because of style of play and injury risk. However, remove them for sake of argument.

Now, look at who that leaves and look at recruiting rankings over the past several years. Bama, LSU, GA and UF. Maybe coaching is subpar for some of them and they will not be a factor for a major bowl or whatever. But that doesn't change that you're playing some of the biggest, fastest and most powerful athletes in college football.

Forget the final record or coaching when it comes to "brutal" schedule. It's about the hits, the injuries and fatigue caused by playing teams filled with the top talent accumulated year after year.

Is that what I said Behr? People can be critical of any coach they want, I just happen to disagree with those critical of McElwain based on what he accomplished last year given what he was playing with.

Yea like having the #6 defense in Points allowed and UF's best defense since 2012, yea, playing with so little. He's supposed to be an offensive Guru yet his offenses have put up less PPG than all of Muschamps offenses at UF (except 2013).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back