Did some research on GT

I'm certainly not over confident,but I think the Vols should control the game and win based on talent alone.

That being said there were 4 common opponents last season, Va Tech, Vanderbilt, Georgia and Kentucky. Ga Tech was 4-0 against those teams last season and the Vols were 3-1. Vanderbilt being the difference, GA Tech beat Vandy 38-7. That's the same team that put up 49 on UT. That fact alone should be cause for concern for Vol fans.

If UT doesn't fix the defense this season it could be extremely disappointing season for the Vols as they don't have Josh Dobbs, Malone or Kamara to bail them out this year.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm certainly not over confident,but I think the Vols should control the game and win based on talent alone.

That being said there were 4 common opponents last season, Va Tech, Vanderbilt, Georgia and Kentucky. Ga Tech was 4-0 against those teams last season and the Vols were 3-1. Vanderbilt being the difference, GA Tech beat Vandy 38-7. That's the same team that put up 49 on UT. That fact alone should be cause for concern for Vol fans.

If UT doesn't fix the defense this season it could be extremely disappointing season for the Vols as they don't have Josh Dobbs, Malone or Kamara to bail them out this year.

True but how equal are the comparisons......the elephant in the room is. When the 3rd and 4th string is the main line up. The there should be a dramatic decrease in talent, chemistry, real time coachablity, experience/ real time play recognition. Now add that to a big chunk of your defense. I remember it well. One big throw down the field then a couple of run plays, then touchdown for the other team. So I get the point you're making. We can not however let the evidence for why be overlooked either.

Well before the VU game last year, UT's defense was walking dead due to injuries.

Reactions: 7 people
Well before the VU game last year, UT's defense was walking dead due to injuries.

Sadly true. Can't wait to see the lads healthy this year, man (fingers crossed). Hoping Bob Shoop is all he's cracked up to be, and more, with a full and healthy squad.

Sadly true. Can't wait to see the lads healthy this year, man (fingers crossed). Hoping Bob Shoop is all he's cracked up to be, and more, with a full and healthy squad.

I just went and re-watched the 2nd half of last year's UF game. I want a shut down defense like that.

Reactions: 4 people
I been watching game film on GT, (youtube lol ) and they are not that good. It seems like the scheme is justified by "if" the Defense makes enough mistakes. For example they usually pass less than a hundred yards a game, but when they do the WR walks into the endzone based off of a miss read. If our D can make good choices. the game is in the bag.

I know one thing they like to cut the DL and hurt YOU. they are coached that way.:thud:And you know our history with DL.:thud:

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like I heard that b4 the Air Force game as well. Hopefully the coaches will keep overconfidence out of the training complex since we cannot keep it off the forum boards.

I was there for that one in '07. That was one of the most thrill ride endings to a game I've ever seen that went in our favor.

I know one thing they like to cut the DL and hurt YOU. they are coached that way.:thud:And you know our history with DL.:thud:

I noticed that even there WRs do it. Or if there is a run on the outside. the lead blocks do it. It looks like they do it on the outside and get the results that holding gets, but without the penalty. I also noticed their O'line jumps early and alot. and sometimes gets called.

Might hurt us against UF because we will totally waste 2 weeks of fall practice on defending the triple option. Never see it again this season. Not a great team for the opener.

According to 247: starting from 2013 first then ending in 2017 the composites are
rank
76,56,44,59,47. According to espn in that time span there are 4 espn 300 players, and 13 4stars.

Remember that they don't recruit the same players that everyone else does. They look for very unique offensive players.

Bad news:

Under Paul Johnson, GT is 8-1 in season opening games.

Good news:

Seven of those wins came against Alcorn State, Wofford, Elon, Western Carolina, South Carolina State, and Jacksonville State (twice).

Against those cupcakes, they scored an average of 51 points per game. High of 70, low of 38.

The two times they've played somewhat real football teams to open the season was against Boston College last year, and Virginia Tech in 2012.

They are 1-1 in those games, scoring 17 points both games.

I know most people know this but a true option team like Tech will bore a defense to death running the ball making you impatient where you start making mistakes. That's why discipline football is so important when facing it. I think if tackling and coaching has improved along with health,we can win this game.
Our offense should not have too much trouble moving and scoring if the defense does the job and can get off the field.

I love our head arm chair coaches.

I'll just wait until Sep 4th too see the outcome of the game. I'm not too confident as some.

It is HELL to stop the flexbone offense.

Doesn't take a genius to know that it is absolute hell. Especially under Johnson at GT.

You do make a good point. But I was referring to your backhanded complement. over water cooler talk. Then proceed to do the same. Not that I'm trying to argue with you. Just pointing it out for comedic value. which I think we can all agree never carries over with out actually hearing it said. lol

VN Store

Back