Does Butch Leave UT After '16 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is his buyout? I don't think he is going anywhere but you never know for sure.

It's somewhere between 3-4 million if he leaves to go to another school. Basically if he did jet somewhere else (I don't see it happening, but whatever), then his new employer would have to pay UT for the first year of our new coach's contract at least.

He was once on the staff with the Tampa Bay Buc's.

Also, what NFL team would want Chip Kelly (Kil a delphia) or Steve Spurrier(Dead Skins) or Lou Holtz (Jets)???

Wow, he [CBJ] was ONCE on the staff of the Tampa Bay Buc's, it does go to reason, a NFL team would be willing pay for a buy-out, move, etc. to get his great coaching skills!! Why did they ever let him go! I guess those NFL guys just don't a Great coach until he's been gone for many years......

CBJ is NO Lou Holts or Steve Spurrier, maybe someday, in the far future, but as of now, his TOTAL wins-year in and out, don't stack up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Our fan base is made up largely of two groups of people:

Those who think if CBJ wins anything of importance he bolts ( battered wife syndrome)

Those who think if we lose to Florida next year he should be fired (battered wife syndrome)

Both are clueless

Reactions: 2 people
Yep, he was a complete loser. After a couple of 7-win seasons to start his time at Texas Tech, he only had 9, 8, 8, 9, 8, 9, 11, and 8 wins the following eight seasons. He totally sucks.

Now, I'll grant you that he's had far less success at Washington State. Guess he needs a vast natural local talent pool so he can focus on his play book.

But then, that's the point isn't it? He's not a natural college coach, where leadership and motivating and recruiting and training are the coin of the realm. He's an ideas guy. And they're better suited to the NFL.

OMG, a 9-win season. Super Bowl, here we come.

Obviously, since he's not a great college coach, he'll thrive in the NFL where the competition is exponentially more difficult. Makes sense.

He was once on the staff with the Tampa Bay Buc's.

Also, what NFL team would want Chip Kelly (Kil a delphia) or Steve Spurrier(Dead Skins) or Lou Holtz (Jets)???

Just to clarify, he was not on Tampa Bay's staff. He interned with their organization while he was in college from 1987-89 (age 19-21).

If he loses to Florida his ass should be gone

I get the emphasis on beating Florida - I do. But what if Tennessee loses to Florida but wins the East, wins the SEC game, gets the bid to the playoff and wins the NC? You still firing someone?

A team and a coach should be judged on the entire season, not just the outcome of 1 game.

Those who think if CBJ wins anything of importance he bolts ( battered wife syndrome)

Those who think if we lose to Florida next year he should be fired (battered wife syndrome)

Both are clueless

What about those who don't fall into either of these categories? Is that the sane group?

If buTch gets us a SEC Championship and a playoff game then win or lose he'll get a big raise.

He would be really dumb to leave us and the team he's worked so hard to build.

HOTlanta or bust...VFL...GBO!!!

Up to this point it's been true. Zook was gone after Year 3, and rightfully so.

Jones deserves an extra year based on the dumpster fire he inherited to prove the doubters wrong.

And what do you base that last sentence on, you being a UT fan and all? :)

Same thing you base your Zook comparison on...fervent wish. :wink2:

Said every delusional person in every lopsided debate loss ever. :hi:

Actually it was a tie.

He was wrong stating Jones is as good a coach as Lou Holtz or Chip Kelly, and I was wrong trolling you guys about Zook, even if Jones has Zookish tendencies (great recruiter who makes questionable coaching decisions at times).

There is no rational argument to justify saying Butch Jones is in the same league as Chip Kelly or Lou Holtz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Both are clueless

It is my sincere belief that both of your groups are actually one and the same.

If everything goes as planned and Tennessee explodes onto the scene this year, Butch Jones' stock will never be any higher. Does he look at other job offers? With the lawsuit on-going he may be tired of having his name ran through the mud for no reason. I think some schools would be willing to throw a large sum of money at him which will at least cause some great concern for us to start the offseason.

Could this be a reality next year?

That's what coaches at Memphis and Vandy do. UT is the top. Go Vols!!!

You're largely correct JP. I heard the interview, or one eerily similar on 102.5 in Nashville. It was on Jared Stillmans' show, but the quote was actually from a sports radio guy from Jacksonville, Fla.

Jared Stillman grew up in Nashville as a Vandy fan, and admits to hating UT, and loves to be critical of Butch Jones, and all things UT. And yes, I believe he posts on here occasionally. I've heard him go on rants on his show, with an anti UT schtick, then see the same rant posted on here.

This is his passion, stirring up Tennessee fans to get calls because of the lack of vandi fans in this town. He's a shock jock who doesn't let the facts get in the way of a a good story. He will be out of a job in six months.

Actually it was a tie.

He was wrong stating Jones is as good a coach as Lou Holtz or Chip Kelly, and I was wrong trolling you guys about Zook, even if Jones has Zookish tendencies (great recruiter who makes questionable coaching decisions at times).

There is no rational argument to justify saying Butch Jones is in the same league as Chip Kelly or Lou Holtz.

As college coaches...yes. Original slant of this thread was pro outlook. Holtz was a total bust and Kelly's been mixed.

Holtz and Kelly had college resumes that warranted getting a opportunity to fail in the NFL.

At this point Jones does not.

:good!
Mark Richt won 9 games in the SEC several times and he isn't going...and he always featured a more pro styled set.:

Last edited:
Holtz and Kelly had college resumes that warranted getting a opportunity to fail in the NFL.

At this point Jones does not.

Well, Joey Freshwater (aka Lane Kiffin) had a much thinner resume in 2007 than Jones does now and yet he was hired by the Raiders... It's always possible that someone desperate for a coach could take a chance on Butch but they would be making a big mistake.

If everything goes as planned and Tennessee explodes onto the scene this year, Butch Jones' stock will never be any higher. Does he look at other job offers? With the lawsuit on-going he may be tired of having his name ran through the mud for no reason. I think some schools would be willing to throw a large sum of money at him which will at least cause some great concern for us to start the offseason.

Could this be a reality next year?

Yes, this is always a possibility. At any program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back