Does Edey cheat?

Good comments. I believe it was Jay Wright.
It was Jay Wright and hopefully Barnes and co pick up on this, or someone at least brings it to their attention today.
BTW, did you see the smug grin on Pearl’s face while Wright was laying out the blueprint to slow down that Purdue post game?
I think Jay is pulling for the Deacon in this one.

Eddy has limited basketball abilities, relies on his size to bludgeon the defender backwards. Question; If the defender holding his position takes the big buffoons body blow to the chest as a charge is that actually allowed in the rule book or will it be called a flop?

Usually, they only call it an offensive foul if the defender does flop.

Reactions: volfeeva
I wonder if Estrella can bring anything at all. He’s looked like a lost freshman for quite a while now.
Send somebody expendable out there and have them fall down behind him to where he backs over them during the course of a play and rolls that knee out a bit awkwardly.
Get in his head and make him play timid 👍

I just hope we don't see them put two fouls on Aidoo or Awaka in the first five minutes. Those situations always suck.
Edey is going to get his points. Tennessee guards need to keep pressure on Purdue guards like they did against Creighton. I mean ZZ took the Creighton guard Ashworth out of the game. Creighton had another guy bringing the ball up the court.

Bruce Pearl said on the TBS post game show that Purdue likes to feed Edey on the left side of the court and ignores the right side of the court when passing to Edey.

Aidoo and Awaka can push Edey out further than he would like to receive entry passes.

Tennessee's guards can get up into the Purdue guards.
Aidoo won't push him out further, he is soft

Reactions: stewart6600
I wonder if Estrella can bring anything at all. He’s looked like a lost freshman for quite a while now.
He can if Edey is not very good to his right. Estrella over plays to his left and a mobile big guy can do a spin move to the right inside and get some cheap points.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Edey is going to get his points. Tennessee guards need to keep pressure on Purdue guards like they did against Creighton. I mean ZZ took the Creighton guard Ashworth out of the game. Creighton had another guy bringing the ball up the court.
Out of the game? Which game was you watching. Ashworth and ZZ basically had identical numbers. Ashworth had mostly ZZ but, also Mashak, Dillione, and Gainey absolutely hounding him the entire 33 minutes he was on the court and he had 1 turnover with 16pts, 4ast, and hit 4/6 threes. I was impressed with his composure. Now the Alexander kid on the other hand was absolutely taken out of the game by Shak and JJJ. He scored 8 of his 13 points in the last minute and had 3 turnovers.

I hope they try fronting him some to deny access to the ball with Aidoo instead of trying to push Lurch around because that probably isn't happening.

Think if they try to muscle him too much Purdue will just end up shooting nearly 50 FTs again.

Out of the game? Which game was you watching. Ashworth and ZZ basically had identical numbers. Ashworth had mostly ZZ but, also Mashak, Dillione, and Gainey absolutely hounding him the entire 33 minutes he was on the court and he had 1 turnover with 16pts, 4ast, and hit 4/6 threes. I was impressed with his composure. Now the Alexander kid on the other hand was absolutely taken out of the game by Shak and JJJ. He scored 8 of his 13 points in the last minute and had 3 turnovers.
I think Ashworth adjusted well, but he typically brings the ball up the court and initiates their offense. Their coach decided to let their other guard take on more of those responsibilities after ZZZ was heavy on ball pressuring Ashworth early in the game.

Can't be predictable that will get you beat. They're going to have to front him and play behind him and mix it up. However, the key here is going to be keeping the guards smothered so that they can't just sit back there and throw it to the big guy when they want to where they want to.
I heard rumors that Zack never gets in foul trouble. If that weren't to happen, it would likely be a game changer.

I'd put Estrella in for 5 min..and tell him every time Lurch posts up...Bury that forearm in his lower back and apply pressure.. eventually it'll wear him down...the relentless pounding

I think Ashworth adjusted well, but he typically brings the ball up the court and initiates their offense. Their coach decided to let their other guard take on more of those responsibilities after ZZZ was heavy on ball pressuring Ashworth early in the game.
I agree but other teams have done this and ZZ would still get his 3 steals and force 3 or 4 turnovers. Watching them go at it was something.

Part of my plan would be to have hard drivers like Knecht and Mashack drive right into Edey and try to force quick fouls. Maybe we could clamp down on the rest of them after that. I think he can guard Aidoo and Awaka without fouling but refs are more likely to call fouls on him if there is contact going to the rim.

Bruce Pearl said on the TBS post game show that Purdue likes to feed Edey on the left side of the court and ignores the right side of the court when passing to Edey.

Aidoo and Awaka can push Edey out further than he would like to receive entry passes.

Tennessee's guards can get up into the Purdue guards.
As DK said last night we lost to them early in the season. It's time for that "Get Back"!

While the teams are warming up, Barnes certainly should have a conversation with the officials about the 3-second rule. He has to. And he ought to bring it up in his presser today. That said, it seems to be a rule that isn't enforced anymore. If it is called, it's rare. I can't remember the last time I saw it called. Maybe I missed it.

Otherwise, IMO we've got to make the game tough for their guards. If they make threes and penetrate as they did against the Zags, it will be a very difficult game for us. Edey is going to get his points. We've got to hard defend the rest of that team and hope their guards have a poor shooting game. I also defensively, we have to have Awaka in this game in the second half, which means he's got to stay out of foul trouble in the first half. I think the key is to keep this game close for the first 30 minutes, make them feel some pressure, and work to win it down the stretch. We'll need to use our bench again in the first half. It's a tough game, on short rest, an emotional team, and you don't want your guys running out of gas late. I just heard Coach K say that the Elite Eight game is the toughest won to win in the tournament.

My plan C for drawing attention to the lane is sacrificing one possession by having ZZ DRIBBLE out top and having our other 4 guys openly enter the lane and park to force a call. Messsge would be loud and clear.

One foot in starts the clock and Establishing 2 feet outside stops it. Just lifting foot does not.

I'd put Estrella in for 5 min..and tell him every time Lurch posts up...Bury that forearm in his lower back and apply pressure.. eventually it'll wear him down...the relentless pounding
I don’t think so. When you are 7.4 300 lbs you are usually doing the pounding and wearing people down. I would let Eddy get his 25 and 15 . Just guard the others and push them off the three point line

Reactions: Volfan1000
Need this guy from the portal to defend Eddy

Attachments

• IMG_1756.png
    IMG_1756.png
    682.3 KB · Views: 7
He gets a favorable whistle for sure . If he could be stopped, it would have been done by now. Best hope is, he gets his but those kickbacks to the guards when double teams come can't fall like against the Zags or they are nearly impossible to beat. He's a good free throw shooter and excellent passer. They do so well throwing it inside and giving him space. Painter knows a guard is going to have a shot. Tennessee denies passes better than anyone. Tennessee wins if the refs swallow their whistles a little. This has to be a rock fight

I don’t think so. When you are 7.4 300 lbs you are usually doing the pounding and wearing people down. I would let Eddy get his 25 and 15 . Just guard the others and push them off the three point line
This! Sounds like a crazy plan but I agree 10000%. Going thru a hard screen or getting absolutely murdered when you touch the ball plays mind tricks. You know it's coming and it's uncomfortable. He needs to be as uncomfortable as possible. You can watch him get the ball in the paint, take a breath and go to work. He can't do that tomorrow

VN Store

Back