Does this hurt recruitment?

I’m wondering if our offense scheme is too simplified for NFL teams and it doesn’t give a player the development they need for the next level. If that’s true, will TN recruitment take a downfall?

Go look where Hyatt & Tillman were slated before Coach Heupel. That’s a good story for recruiting.

I’m wondering if our offense scheme is too simplified for NFL teams and it doesn’t give a player the development they need for the next level. If that’s true, will TN recruitment take a downfall?
There appears to be concern from at least some teams regarding the QB and WR positions based upon what was reported to draft "gurus". If we continue to succeed and our drafted players have some success, then those concerns should go away. I also believe there are elements of our offensive system that will change or will be added as our players mature in the offense and we continue to recruit higher rated players. The first year was very difficult with limited scholarship players and a lack of depth. This past year, we had more scholarship players, but still limited depth in some positions.

No.

The selection of Wright at 10 shows future offensive line prospects that CGE can get them to the league.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Even we have to scratch our heads and ask ourselves, "how much of Hooker's and Hyatt's productivity was due to their innate talent vs. the scheme?" On one level, it flat out doesn't matter. In 56 years of watching Big Orange football, we have never had an offense that remotely approaches last year's in terms of explosive firepower, points scored, or the frequency with which Josh schemed receivers open to a degree that was embarrassing for opposing defenses.

On the other hand, I most certainly would have drafted Hendon much higher, even given his recovery from an ACL, than Richardson or Levis. It is positively ludicrous to draft someone who has only started 13 college games in the top 5 overall. Quarterback is one position at which one cannot have too much seasoning in preparation for the NFL.

Dougie D,If they want to regulate which type.of offense a team should..run to count toward a players future,let's just eliminate the forward pass.If the setup works and teams cannot defend it,keep on running it.The wishbone wasn't decried as detrimental to the qb's who were in it.So there.Sabin couldn't stop it,therefore it must be a gimmick only.

Absolutely not. If you have NFL talent you can believe they will make it onto a roster. The whole simplified thing just isn't true.
To be fair, pretty much every draft profile I saw on Hyatt mentioned this issue in one form or another.

One cautioned that few WR's have performed well coming from an Art Briles system.

Another noted his lack of "well-roundedness" and limited route tree.

Lack of experience in press man coverage.....

You get the idea.

We can say (hope?) it's not an issue all we want. But the fact is, it's at least a consideration for the people who are paid to make these decisions.

I’ve seen some estimates that pay for a 3rd rd pick is somewhere between $1-$1.5million per year. I’d love to know how much NIL Hyatt turned down by not coming back another year. I have to believe a returning biletnikoff award winner would have brought in at least double that amount.

I’ve seen some estimates that pay for a 3rd rd pick is somewhere between $1-$1.5million per year. I’d love to know how much NIL Hyatt turned down by not coming back another year. I have to believe a returning biletnikoff award winner would have brought in at least double that amount.
Huh? Are you saying NIL would be offering Hyatt 7 figures if he'd have stayed?

Tennessee has the 2nd most players drafted through 3 rounds and these are lowly recruited guys from the Pruitt regime who were developed by this staff...and you're asking if this HURTS recruiting?

LOL!

I really don't think it hurts you at all. The most prominent drop is Hooker and I really do think people understand this is not a slight against him or UT. Just a very unfortunate set of circumstances. Hope Hooker still finds a path forward to the NFL, he's clearly a very nice and authentic guy.

The knocks on Hooker are that he's 25 and he's coming off an ACL. Neither of those has to do with UT. If he'd stayed at VT, he wouldn't be drafted at all.

To be fair, pretty much every draft profile I saw on Hyatt mentioned this issue in one form or another.

One cautioned that few WR's have performed well coming from an Art Briles system.

Another noted his lack of "well-roundedness" and limited route tree.

Lack of experience in press man coverage.....

You get the idea.

We can say (hope?) it's not an issue all we want. But the fact is, it's at least a consideration for the people who are paid to make these decisions.

What was Randy Moss’s route tree?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
number one offense in the nation will draw recruits. Hooker hurt or a second rounder, hyatt has only shown one trick [speed], only played well in one season. so there are questions about him as a compete wr. [can he get off press coverage?] Tillman hurt not much senior film. For them to go in round 3 is really good considering questions on hyatt and injuries on the other two.

Huh? Are you saying NIL would be offering Hyatt 7 figures if he'd have stayed?

I’m just saying I would love to know. Just like everyone else I’ve read rumors of some of the NIL values being handed out but I have no idea what would actually be offered to a returning award winner. All I know is Hyatt was getting national attention and would have been a mega star coming into this season. The results are what they are. He’s a 3rd round pick. Definitely nothing to hang his head about but at the same time; he didn’t sit out of the bowl game and make the decision to go pro early just to go in the mid 3rd round.

VN Store

Back