Dormady favored to be starting QB

Dormandy will take care of the ball and will be a great leader, so he will get the first start and is likely to keep the 1 spot.

JG will get an opportunity very early even if QD is better, just to see what he can do.

I see a package of plays for JG with a lot of RPO for special situations.
That isn't Jones' MO no matter how much misdirection they're engaged in now.

If the offense were to stall or QD has a bad game JG will get an opportunity to pull it together.

The gamer will get the job long term.
You guys are assuming the competition is real close. It didn't appear to be leaving the spring. You can't really listen to the "competition" talk. That has been the case twice in the last 5 years with the starter being pretty obvious.

Unless JG has somehow closed the gap in his understanding and feel for the O, QD will be the QB.

Neither QB will run as much as Dobbs did. We can't afford an injury to either of them. If we loose a QB then we loose the run option for the remaining QB. Notice we only ran Dobbs when we had to have offense or he scrambled.
UT can afford it more than last year for the simple fact that UT's 3 guys this year are more similar to each other than any were to Dobbs.

If Dobbs had gone down last year, they would have had to change the O significantly.... to what you'll see this year.

Reactions: 2 people
JG,JG,JG!!! Boys,I am an old Vol fan that has been around a long time. The closest display of precision passing to what Dormady showed in OW was Tee's record 24-24 whatever against SCe during 98. We need to all get behind this very,very talented kid and thank the Big Orange Gods we have him. JG will get his chance. This year QD gonna whip all dey azzes. Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
QD was more accurate, better under pressure and seemed more game-ready than JG in spring practice. It would be surprising if both don't step up big in fall camp. Not sure how it'll all shake out, but I think we'll play them both.

Everything in me says go with JG. Run the same offense ( heavy read option, slight to heavy run play calling ) you had been running with Dobbs at QB. I'm worried about this line and qd adjusting to and picking up blitz packages if we throw the ball more than in the past. If you establish the run and lean run the defense is much easier to read and block.

On the other hand, I'm not at practice so I really don't know what we have with qd at the helm. If I'm CBJ, I tell Shoop to throw the kitchen sink at our passing attack and see if qd and this line can handle it. If not, I'm going jg, with lots of read option, and a slight to heavy run lean. Heavy for weaker defenses that we can simply maul down the field.
well spoken. i'm hearing QD has better wheels than most give him credit for and hopefully so. I think he deserves to start but i worry more about him being more suspect to injury. As you said i'd throw every defensive blitz at our OL than anyone could imagine and coach Shoop was well known for his schemes at Penn St. If our OL protects QD and i feel they are capable....WGWTFA X 10! GBO!:rock:

I know it was a spring game and all that that entails but QD sure looked smooth and in control. He also seemed to feel the pressure and move just enough to buy that 1/2 second to make the throw unobstructed down the field. We'll see soon enough. This season begins for real like they all do when the Vols meet the Gators.
Manning had those jitterbug feet in the pocket. That .5 seconds means a lot. It,at times, looks awkward but we're looking for results. QD appears to have a cool,calm,collective, air about him. Then how about a few plays with both qb's in ? Remember dobb's to JJ and back to dobb's against UF ? IMO a lot hinges on the OL. If QD gains confidence by playing there's no telling what the ceiling is gonna be. Got to go to the swamp with a big upbeat mindset.

Last edited:
Dobbs is a better QB than Worley, so they tailored the offense to emphasize his strengths. What was on the field wasn't THE offense...just a variation of it. Whoever wins the starting spot will have the same courtesy applied.

Yes but they tried to run the same offense with Worley, it is THE offense Butch wanted to run. The play calling with Dobbs wasn't that much different then what he ran with Worley.

I just hope Butch and Scott realize by now that you can't run a cookie cutter offense with players with completely different skill sets. I believe that they have learned from this but I don't believe that Butch is going to change his offensive philosophy over night.

QD or JG can both run this offense but there will need to be variations for their strengths and weaknesses!!!

i don't really care who starts as long as we win!!! (yes I am prepared to eat crow if QD starts all year)

Just Win Vols!!!:)

QD was more accurate, better under pressure and seemed more game-ready than JG in spring practice. It would be surprising if both don't step up big in fall camp. Not sure how it'll all shake out, but I think we'll play them both.

There is no way to tell that about QD vs JG with what little we saw in the Spring game. Granted QD may be better than JG and he should be with his 3rd year in the system but what we saw in the Spring game showed nothing as to who would be the starter since QD played double the amount of time JG did and QD threw the ball 2x more than JG.

All that matter is that the person who gives us the best chance to win is the starter, but i agree we will probably see them both for atleast the first 2 games leading up to Florida, then we will know who the real starter is going forward!

QD has some wheels too, boys. Not like Dobbs or JG, but I'm not worried about him not being able to get away when he needs to for some positive yardage or to keep a drive alive.

Reactions: 2 people
well spoken. i'm hearing QD has better wheels than most give him credit for and hopefully so. I think he deserves to start but i worry more about him being more suspect to injury. As you said i'd throw every defensive blitz at our OL than anyone could imagine and coach Shoop was well known for his schemes at Penn St. If our OL protects QD and i feel they are capable....WGWTFA X 10! GBO!:rock:
QD outweighs JG by almost 30 lbs. Id be worried about JG getting injured, especially if he runs a lot.

QD has some wheels too, boys. Not like Dobbs or JG, but I'm not worried about him not being able to get away when he needs to for some positive yardage or to keep a drive alive.

Think Andrew Luck. If he needs to run he can. But hes not going to look to take over games with it.

I think people are assuming that QD is less talented that JG might be one day, which is why I suspect some want JG to get the job right now. I would agree that as of this moment, QD is better.

QD is older and has a better arm, but isn't as mobile. I think Butch's offense works best with a mobile QB, and generally speaking in order to run the read option effectively your QB needs to be able to run so defenses have to worry about him and the RB. Remember when they tried to run RPOs with Worley, before Dobbs became the starter? It was awful. Nobody was worried about Worley keeping the ball. I think QD might be more mobile than Worley, but he isn't as mobile as JG.

I think Butch's offense will work, consistently, with a consistently-protective front (and a qb who can make or find his men open -- to create his receivers who expect him to throw them the ball, vs him run). I think he always just expected Worley to just pick up a few yards, 5-6 times a game.

I think QD is the starter because of the few "signs" we've been given.

That said, I like and will support any of the 3 who earns the job.

I think Butch's offense will work, consistently, with a consistently-protective front (and a qb who can make or find his men open -- to create his receivers who expect him to throw them the ball, vs him run). I think he always just expected Worley to just pick up a few yards, 5-6 times a game.

Jones says he only wants his QB to run 5 or 6 times per game. Dobbs' average was well over twice that amount. Jones says that he wants a QB who distributes the ball to playmakers. Dobbs was the playmaker.

I think it is safe to say that he is an anomaly to what Jones wants in his O.

Everything in me says go with JG. Run the same offense ( heavy read option, slight to heavy run play calling ) you had been running with Dobbs at QB. I'm worried about this line and qd adjusting to and picking up blitz packages if we throw the ball more than in the past. If you establish the run and lean run the defense is much easier to read and block.

On the other hand, I'm not at practice so I really don't know what we have with qd at the helm. If I'm CBJ, I tell Shoop to throw the kitchen sink at our passing attack and see if qd and this line can handle it. If not, I'm going jg, with lots of read option, and a slight to heavy run lean. Heavy for weaker defenses that we can simply maul down the field.

Everything in me says go with the guy who understands the offense, makes quick decisions because he knows where to go with the ball, and who has a strong, accurate arm.....that sure appears to be Dormady imo.

I don't think Guarantano is anywhere near the same runner as Dobbs. The offense will change no matter who wins the job.

I agree Butch. Dobbs was a special runner....slippery, instinctual and much stronger than he looked. It's very highly unlikely that JG will be anywhere near the runner that Dobbs was. We just need him to be a better thrower of the football because, as you pointed out, the offense is gonna change without Dobbs under center, and that's not necessarily a bad thing imo. I believe what we lose from Dobbs' great running ability, we'll more than gain with either qb's throwing ability.

Reactions: 3 people
You don't have to be as good a runner as Dobbs to be effective on the ground. Guarantano is a runner like Colin Kaepernick. He'll be fine.

JG is like Kaepernick? Damn, hope not, in any way conceivable. Think you owe JG an apology.

Using two QB's scares me. Doesn't work that often. I'd rather stick with one guy...

JG missed the last half of his last two seasons of high school.

Last edited:
Not a factor now but things change in unexpected ways sometimes. At this time last year, who would have predicted the guys playing at DT vs Vandy?

We're down to three scholarship QBs and Dobbs was an iron man. Going to be tense.

SIAP Jancek is not listed on the roster and his dad just took a job with UK as a consultant.

We're down to three scholarship QBs and Dobbs was an iron man. Going to be tense.

If we lost 2 QBs before end of this season, we'd be in salvage-what-we-can mode, and in such an extreme situation (yet not an impossible situation) then we could start giving Jauan Jennings practice reps as the 4th guy at that position. This is obviously not what we expect nor prefer to do with him, but it could be done in a salvage-what-we-can situation.

Dormady has better timing than Dobbs. That's his biggest asset. When a QB develops good timing with his receivers, watch out. Those crossing routes will open up the run game. Plus take pressure off of the O line.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back