Dream Non-Conference Rivalies....

I want battles that would benefit recruiting. Us playing Louisville seems pointless, Kentucky would not help much since their talent is lacking to say the least. I think we would have to go with Virginia Tech or UNC just to have that constant door into the recruiting their states. CBJ recruits Ohio a lot, but I do not know if at this point playing OSU would be beneficial to us. I think in 2016 that may be a different story.

I think that brings on a debate.

I disagree that it's not as much about location, as it is about reputation.

I for instance think that it's great that we're playing Oklahoma. Why? Not because I think we need to recruit more in Oklahoma, but because recruits recognize Oklahoma as a respected brand in college football. We will be measured by how well we do against Oklahoma.

When a recruit sees us beat a "National Power" or even come close to beating a "National Power," then we automatically have something that is attention-garnering, and indicative of where we're heading.

If we have that, I dont' think it matters where we play. If we can establish that winning brand again, doors will open to recruit's homes in every single part of the country.

Who would I like to see us play?

1. Texas
2. FSU
3. OSU
4. ND
5. USC
6. Michigan

I think any time you beat one of those programs, you've done something. Even if they're having a "down year" everyone knows its a statement win to get, because they will always have a competent coach, and they will not stay down long.

I don't want ours to be against anyone who already has a main OOC rivalry vs. an SEC opponent: Clemson, Tech, Louisville, Florida State, or Texas. With the Ville moving to the ACC, it would make sense to either face VT or UNC every year and that series of games occur the same weekend and be the SEC vs. ACC weekend.

I would like to see us play Texas every year. I always refer to them as North Mexico University to my Texas friends since without Tennessee they would be speaking Spanish down there.

They speak Spanish down here anyway lol.

With the Ville moving to the ACC, it would make sense to either face VT or UNC every year and that series of games occur the same weekend and be the SEC vs. ACC weekend.

This to me makes the most sense. Plus, I would love to see us beat the ever loving hell out of UNC on a yearly basis. It could have some sort of "Battle for the Appalachians" trophy or moniker.

Reactions: 1 person
This to me makes the most sense. Plus, I would love to see us beat the ever loving hell out of UNC on a yearly basis. It could have some sort of "Battle for the Appalachians" trophy or moniker.

In my opinion, that would only work with VT, cause Blacksburg is on the outskirts of the Appalachians. Chapel Hill most definitely isn't.

Not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just taking an Appalachian Geography class, so I learned this and have to regurgitate it on a final tomorrow morning.

In my opinion, that would only work with VT, cause Blacksburg is on the outskirts of the Appalachians. Chapel Hill most definitely isn't.

Not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just taking an Appalachian Geography class, so I learned this and have to regurgitate it on a final tomorrow morning.

I'm aware. Just finding a common ground between the 2 States.

I like the UNC matchup. Reasonable drive and decent recruiting ground that we really don't get to see very often.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would love to see the Vols slap the Tarholes around.

I'd prefer that, if we had a series come about, it not be like Vanderbilt or Kentucky. I want it to be a team to be proud of playing and beating.

Put ETSU as a punching bag Homecoming opponent.

ETSU hasn't lost a game in years :whistling:

So long as they play in Johnson City every other year I think it would actually be good for the Bucs. They would probably have better attendance than any other game all year.

UNC makes the most sense I think. Playing Bama every year the Vols can get away with not playing a world beater as an out of conference rival. With that said my number one is VT. It's a rivalry that has been brewing between the two fan bases for a long time. If Tennessee were to play them every year it would quickly become a classic.

Tennessee needs to play Tiger High every season

I agree, Tiger High, MTSU, and Vandy for instate bragging rights and top instate recruits. Then play a neutral site game each year with a marquee opponent, such as, UCLA, FSU, Texas, Michigan or Ohio State.

VN Store

Back