East Tennessee Weather II

Just hitting west Farragut. Wind, lightning, heavy rain, and a little light hail so far. Hopefully the worst stuff missed us.

More of the watch has been cancelled. Only the central valley is in the watch, but I fully expect it to be cancelled all together in the next 15-20 minutes.

Reactions: davethevol
Love weather as much as the rest of us, but it’s weird to see some people upset because there was not a massive tornado outbreak yesterday.

Agree. It's a weird dynamic. You don't to create a crying wolf view from the public but you don't want destruction either.

The NWS underwarned yesterday because they've been over-aggressive with moderate risk areas this year..

Agree. It's a weird dynamic. You don't to create a crying wolf view from the public but you don't want destruction either.

The NWS underwarned yesterday because they've been over-aggressive with moderate risk areas this year..

And I’m sure there will be some folks saying the NWS got it wrong or angry nothing bad occurred, if today’s high risk doesn’t come to fruition.

Anyone rooting for long track violent tornadoes needs to have their head examined.

~Severe Weather Alert~

There is an Enhanced risk for strong to severe thunderstorms for all of East TN on Wednesday.

Timing:

Late afternoon into the overnight hours. There is still some uncertainty, so I will keep you all updated.

Hazards:

~ Damaging winds in excess of 60 mph is likely

~ Large to Very Large hail up to golf ball size is possible, with isolated areas potentially seeing hail larger than golf ball. The areas with the greatest chance for seeing very large hail is in the northern half of East TN (Knox County and areas north)

~ A couple tornadoes are also possible, especially for the western valley (areas west of Knoxville) and the plateau. A strong tornado can't be ruled out in those areas.

Just a reminder:

If you have vehicles that are kept outside, I would advise to move them under cover or in a garage. Very large hail is likely, with some areas along and west of Knoxville having the potential to see up to lime size hail (2" in diameter) or larger.

VN Store

Back