Edward Aschoff ESPN Staff Writer UT Preview

I think you are 100% correct that this is an 8-4 team without Dobbs...He is extremely important to our success this season. But he IS NOT a better passer than Tee Martin was, IMO and looking at the stats. It's not a striking difference....but Tee was the better passer.
But...that may all change this year and I hope it does.

Yes just check the Kentucky game when he set the all time record for most consecutive completed passes.

I think you are 100% correct that this is an 8-4 team without Dobbs...He is extremely important to our success this season. But he IS NOT a better passer than Tee Martin was, IMO and looking at the stats. It's not a striking difference....but Tee was the better passer.
But...that may all change this year and I hope it does.

Tee completed 55% of his passes during our National Championship season of 98 and dropped to 54% in 1999. In addition, he had Peerless Price to throw to. So far Dobbs hasn't had a WR as good as Price was. Maybe that changes this season with Williams and or Malone. My point being, Martin was definitely not a good passer and Dobbs also adds another dimension with his running ability which is much better than Martin. Check the stats!

Reactions: 1 person
This times 1,000! Without Dobbs, this is an 8-4 team. It baffles me how some people don't realize how important Dobbs is to this team. In addition, he is a better passer than Tee Martin who won a National Championship.

I have to disagree, not on the importance of Dobbs but that we would only be an 8 win team without him. We have the most complete team top to bottom in the east and even without Fobvs the o lay game we would probably not be favored in on our schedule is Bama. The road would be considerably harder without him though.

Typical ESPN.

Extremely
Stupid
People
Network

They're only good for watching games on and nothing more.

Earning respect and climbing the rankings WIN by WIN...VFL...GBO!!!
You know I use to not feel this way about ESPN but they are now controlled by a liberal media bias that has become obvious and are trying to influence public policy. Just like the Golf Channel as well. And once I spot this stuff I'm pretty much done with said networks. Sad part is many causal sports fans aren't aware and gobble this stuff up.

Reactions: 1 person
I am personally sick of ESPN. Thier arrogance and political correctness combine to make me want to barf..... And man do they love the Big10. Harbaugh and Meyer own the place.

DYK that between March and May of this year ESPN lost 10,500 subscribers per DAY!! That's right. Per day ............. I love it.

You know I use to not feel this way about ESPN but they are now controlled by a liberal media bias that has become obvious and are trying to influence public policy. Just like the Golf Channel as well. And once I spot this stuff I'm pretty much done with said networks. Sad part is many causal sports fans aren't aware and gobble this stuff up.

You are sooooo spot on. The minute I start to realize the "bait and switch" and I am done. I only watch ESPN if I have too based on a live game.

I've dumped that dumpster fire Facebook too. It's also a big pile of stupid.

Tee completed 55% of his passes during our National Championship season of 98 and dropped to 54% in 1999.

Actually, TM completed 57.3% of his passes in the '98 season...but their just numbers and they don't really mean anything right? What source did you use?
Here are mine!

Tee Martin Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Tee Martin Bio - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Tee Martin College & Pro Football Statistics - Totalfootballstats.com

In addition, he had Peerless Price to throw to. So far Dobbs hasn't had a WR as good as Price was. Maybe that changes this season with Williams and or Malone.

Agreed...BUT WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT RECEIVERS! We are simply comparing TM to JD and their passing abilities and stats...nothing more! This is a moot point!

My point being, Martin was definitely not a good passer and Dobbs also adds another dimension with his running ability which is much better than Martin. Check the stats!

Again, I agree with what you are saying but you have dramatically changed what you were originally talking about. TM wasn't a GREAT passer and to this point neither is JD...but I think and hope he gets a lot better this year. Furthermore, we aren't even discussing either qb's running abilities. In post #22 where you said, "In addition, he is a better passer than Tee Martin who won a National Championship"....that is what we are talking about!

Check your stats....and keep in mind the number of wr screens and laterals JD threw that helps his pass perct. TM could throw the deep ball...something JD has proven...to this point...that he can't consistently do. TM wasn't a great passer but he could make the throws consistently that JD hasn't.

I say, to all VOL fans, don't try to argue with senseless fans or writers of other teams. Just keep that " I know something that you don't know " smirk on your face for the next few weeks and then our team will do our talking for us. They have no clue what is coming. The SEC is in for a big wake up call, The VOLS are back. GO VOLS !!!!

I say, to all VOL fans, don't try to argue with senseless fans or writers of other teams. Just keep that " I know something that you don't know " smirk on your face for the next few weeks and then our team will do our talking for us. They have no clue what is coming. The SEC is in for a big wake up call, The VOLS are back. GO VOLS !!!!

Let's beat the gators....then we can say that...But we're not back until we prove we are!

You are sooooo spot on. The minute I start to realize the "bait and switch" and I am done. I only watch ESPN if I have too based on a live game.

I've dumped that dumpster fire Facebook too. It's also a big pile of stupid.

Yes Facebook is but at least they got caught "cooking the books" so to speak and folks who don't like being played as the fools Facebook thinks we are can shut it down...good for you!!j

If Dobbs can't improve the down field passing, will Butch Jones pull Dobbs for Dormady, time will tell, but I have a feeling that Dobbs will improve his accuracy and down field passing......6 days we'll know more
Go Vols

I am no insider but I can guarantee there is no "Dobbs getting pulled" scenario like the one you're describing being discussed by the coaches.

Actually, TM completed 57.3% of his passes in the '98 season...but their just numbers and they don't really mean anything right? What source did you use?I stand corrected. Josh Doobs completed 59.6% of his passes last season and is completing 60.6% for his career. Tee Martin completed 55.4% of his passes for his career. Dobbs obviously connects on more passes than Martin did.
Here are mine!

Tee Martin Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Tee Martin Bio - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Tee Martin College & Pro Football Statistics - Totalfootballstats.com

Agreed...BUT WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT RECEIVERS! We are simply comparing TM to JD and their passing abilities and stats...nothing more! This is a moot point!
Moot point? How so? Dobbs had at least 10-12 perfectly thrown passes dropped by receivers last season including a perfectly thrown " bomb" to Preston Williams. His % would have been even better had our receivers made some easy catches.

Again, I agree with what you are saying but you have dramatically changed what you were originally talking about. TM wasn't a GREAT passer and to this point neither is JD...but I think and hope he gets a lot better this year. Furthermore, we aren't even discussing either qb's running abilities. In post #22 where you said, "In addition, he is a better passer than Tee Martin who won a National Championship"....that is what we are talking about! See above. Dobbs so far in his career is completing 5% more of his passes than Martin did.

Check your stats....and keep in mind the number of wr screens and laterals JD threw that helps his pass perct. TM could throw the deep ball...something JD has proven...to this point...that he can't consistently do. TM wasn't a great passer but he could make the throws consistently that JD hasn't.
Agree Tee Martin threw a better "deep" ball but he also had a receiver ( Price) that could create some separation and was great at catching deep balls. No current WR has shown this ability so far. However, I think that changes this year with Preston Williams.

VN Store

Back