Enough Cooper Mays please

Cooper Mays, Cooper Mays, for some weird reason people cannot stop talking about Cooper Mays. Was listing to a VQ pod and they were talking about Cooper being a main reason that the offense has looked better. I see so many unintelligent posts claiming that Cooper is the most important player on the team. I like Coop and appreciate all he has done, but he's a center and trying to give him all the credit is shortchanging the guys who deserve the credit. Let me repeat, HE IS A CENTER!. Milton and Wright have been playing terrific lately and they are the reason that we look different the last few weeks. Again, I like Cooper, but he's just a center, his job is to snap and block. I even played center on two teams just because no one else on the team wanted to. The QB would make all the calls and all I had to do was snap the ball and run my route (it was a league where the center is an eligible receiver). My role was nowhere near the role of the QB, and that would be even more magnified in the SEC. So please give credit where credit is due and stop with the dumb statements about a center being the savior for our team, I don't want to hear it from anyone else.
Cooper mays can play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy
Cooper Mays, Cooper Mays, for some weird reason people cannot stop talking about Cooper Mays. Was listing to a VQ pod and they were talking about Cooper being a main reason that the offense has looked better. I see so many unintelligent posts claiming that Cooper is the most important player on the team. I like Coop and appreciate all he has done, but he's a center and trying to give him all the credit is shortchanging the guys who deserve the credit. Let me repeat, HE IS A CENTER!. Milton and Wright have been playing terrific lately and they are the reason that we look different the last few weeks. Again, I like Cooper, but he's just a center, his job is to snap and block. I even played center on two teams just because no one else on the team wanted to. The QB would make all the calls and all I had to do was snap the ball and run my route (it was a league where the center is an eligible receiver). My role was nowhere near the role of the QB, and that would be even more magnified in the SEC. So please give credit where credit is due and stop with the dumb statements about a center being the savior for our team, I don't want to hear it from anyone else.
Why do you think Milton and Wright been playing better? Milton isn’t snapping the ball to himself or calling out the shifts of the OLine. The minute that Cooper returned the offense looked better. Go back and watch the games he didn’t play in, and then compare them to when he did. You will see a noticeable difference.

Also when Cooper was out it caused multiple people to play out of position. Once Cooper returned everyone else shift to normal position. But if you have the worse center in football good luck running the ball. The CENTER is as important to the OLine as the QB is the the offense, and as the middle linebacker is to the defense.

Reactions: Remy
No it's not. Just because our fans say this doesn't mean it's not dumb. It's just like when people say that Brock Bowers might be the most important player for UGA, that's a dumb take too. He's a tight end. It's impossible for a tight end to be the most important player. Don't believe me? Look at the rankings of positional value The pyramid: A visual of John Dorsey's production

I am just sick and tired of Joe not getting his due credit. He was bad at the beginning of the season but he's balling now.
Just because you palyed center in flag football, doesn’t mean you know how to play center at D1 football level. Without a great OLine nothing else matters.

Cooper Mays is the Offensive MVP! Just look at the difference in offensive production before & after he returned. (and the team overall.) It's his PRESENCE & KNOWLEDGE & LEADERSHIP more than Him just snapping the ball. Good GOD almighty.

unbelievably stupid take

This has 225 likes as of now LMAO

Been on VN a decade or so...thats up near the top of "most likes I have ever seen a post receive". Its probably THE most I have ever seen for a negative comment (justified IMO)

GO VOLS

Edit: also this kid has only ever played flag football based on his post. There is no league of real tackle football where the center is an eligible receiver. Doesnt exist. In fact, if you bring in an extra lineman or TE and want to count them as an eligible receiver, you have to tell the refs who will announce it to the other team....otherwise when said lineman or TE goes downfield a flag will be thrown for "ineligible receiver downfield"

Last edited:
. . . . And since all of you internet bullies have been dumping on my flag football league, the league had . . . . an LFL player (it was coed). So the competition was legit and we had plays, practices, etc. So not, it's not some YMCA league like some other posted noted.

. . . To say that Coop was the critical piece? It makes my blood boil, I honestly get so mad every time I hear it.
So, you play flag football agains girls! That is your incredible background?

Too much! LOL

I played flag football at 50 years old.
What's that tell you about it.. 🤣

Cooper Mays. Cooper Mays Cooper Mays Cooper Mays. Pee wee don’t count

Reactions: BanditVol
So bad its hard to know where to start, but this is one

"Just a center"

The football ignorance in that statement alone could fill a reservoir the size of the State of Tennessee :rolleyes:

Lol… This guy played center in his YMCA flag league league and is seriously comparing it to role the center plays in Heupel’s offense. This might be the dumbest take in the history of Volnation.
And what a standard that is! But I tend to agree

You do understand that it is the center’s responsibility to call the correct blocking scheme based on the play call and the defensive set. Cooper calls the correct blocking most of the time. His backup, not so much.

So bad its hard to know where to start, but this is one

"Just a center"

The football ignorance in that statement alone could fill a reservoir the size of the State of Tennessee :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the time a female coworker retired so she could stay home and raise her very young children. Another coworker (male), made a comment in a group meeting with other females present that she was going to go be "just a housewife " .
Good times

So basically you played center in peewee football and know exactly what all goes in to playing the center position at a major university. You have lost your mind if you cant tell a difference in this team when he is on the field vs him being out.

There is a reason Peyton famously bought his OL new cars as gifts you know. The performance of the OL can make all the difference between a QB being terrible vs awesome.

Hey guys, I don't think it's been mentioned how important Cooper Mays is to this Offense. We can really tell a difference in the Teams performance since his return to the line up. Really hope he comes back next season.

Reactions: VolDave53

VN Store

Back