Erik Ainge - Where is he now?

it really does thanks. I always thought that there was enough room for two stations in Knoxville. Am I wrong? Did JayBay not run the station right. I ask that because sportsanimal doesn't have tbat issue and they have more employees.

As the other response said, the Sports Animal is owned and operated by Cumulus Media, one of the two largest radio groups in the country. They have stations in virtually every major market and A TON of medium and smaller markets too. There's A LOT of money within that company. Not to mention, they are the official providers of UT sports in Knoxville.

Oskie, on the other hand, is incredibly small, and not just comparatively to Cumulus.

As a potential advertiser, who would you spend your money (and hopefully get a return on) with? One that carries UT sports, local talent throughout the day (even if the morning show is so atrocious that my blood boils listening to them while waiting to hear the traffic report), nationally syndicated shows at/over night, and has a much stronger signal on both the AM and FM dial? Or one that, while it could be entertaining listening to former players, the broadcast, more often than not, sounded more like podcasts being broadcast over the air, and they also had to go dark after hours due to clear channel rules...not the company but the regulation. Certain AM channels, by law, have to power down their wattage so that other AM signals within the listening area can up their wattage to broadcast over a larger area...I.E. clear channel stations.

On a different (FM or non clear channel AM) signal, ran by a larger company with deeper pockets backing them (syndicating ESPN or something to that effect after hours), I think there is room for 2 sports stations...just not enough room for the little guy to do it for very long.

My $0.02

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Ainge was making NFL money for a couple years. Even at league minimum, it ain't exactly peanuts. If he invested well (big if), he's probably doing alright.

Ainge was making NFL money for a couple years. Even at league minimum, it ain't exactly peanuts. If he invested well (big if), he's probably doing alright.

He said he blew through his money, and was forced to move in with his uncle. If I had former SEC starting QB on my resume I don't think I would be selling cellphones for a living. But I would say they probably pay him a little more than the normal sales rep due to his name and local legacy if anything.

Erik is going to be fine. I know him well and he will do much better financially in his current position but misses radio a lot. He actually made pretty good money at TSR but the station didn't. We were sponsors for the last two years and we had a lot of fun going on and being a part of it. It's a shame that era is over. Every time I pull into work listening to Swain and get back in to go home and hear bad quality oldies music I'm still like wtf?

Anyone with disparaging comments obviously do not know him; I guess their lives are free from mistakes? Come on. He is a dedicated husband and father these days.

Reactions: 5 people
He said he blew through his money, and was forced to move in with his uncle. If I had former SEC starting QB on my resume I don't think I would be selling cellphones for a living. But I would say they probably pay him a little more than the normal sales rep due to his name and local legacy if anything.

He's not slinging iphones to regular stiffs in the mall.

There's some legit money in the B2B side of the cellular world.

Erik is going to be fine. I know him well and he will do much better financially in his current position but misses radio a lot. He actually made pretty good money at TSR but the station didn't. We were sponsors for the last two years and we had a lot of fun going on and being a part of it. It's a shame that era is over. Every time I pull into work listening to Swain and get back in to go home and hear bad quality oldies music I'm still like wtf?

Anyone with disparaging comments obviously do not know him; I guess their lives are free from mistakes? Come on. He is a dedicated husband and father these days.

Amen! We all made mistakes and some of us learn hard way and change/repent. I'm glad he overcame his struggles. Good for Ainge!

Reactions: 3 people

For those that live out of market we only have a webcast to listen too...I've missed him as well!

Airtime is leased. If I pay for airtime to play oldies, the revenue I generate from ads during that time doesn't have to pay Ainge's salary etc.

mismanagement #1.

filling an entire day with org (live) programming is expensive as hell. canned oldies is cheaper to run.

an ex of expensive, org live programming is public radio...ergo it has to fund raise...and beg for underwriting funds.

He's not slinging iphones to regular stiffs in the mall.

There's some legit money in the B2B side of the cellular world.

Company I used to work with in my 20s had a contract with Verizon for blackberry. about 8000 of us had them and you could tell our pay band by the model.

I would have to guess you land that account you made some dough.

Please tell me you didn't have anything to do with that Citizens National Bank commercial.

Just because, Mr Aigne was a VOL . He has my respect . Having said that . SOOOOOON . Gotta love the OG's still trying to tell me my fandom . WEAK .So WHAT color was Gruden's Tie this week ?

Last edited:
Just because, Mr Aigne was a VOL . He has my respect . Having said that . SOOOOOON . Gotta love the OG's still trying to tell me my fandom . WEAK .So WHAT color was Gruden's Tie this week ?

Let it go man. Things have worked out okay for us. No need in opening old wounds. :hi:

Let it go man. Things have worked out okay for us. No need in opening old wounds. :hi:

Dude wants to act like he is O.G. Hughes younger son ? IT IS HILARIOUS . I owe Fuad 50 Bucks right now . These fools want to act like they are/made/ Someone Tards is what these NICE folks are , and bless their heart,

If I was a former SEC starting QB and needed cash, there's some damn good money to be made in the world of coaching these days. Given, the big-time money usually takes time to work up to, but he'd probably have the chops to do it. Even the guys that don't much care for the college kid stuff could work somewhere in the league.

Dude wants to act like he is O.G. Hughes younger son ? IT IS HILARIOUS . I owe Fuad 50 Bucks right now . These fools want to act like they are/made/ Someone Tards is what these NICE folks are , and bless their heart,

If he lied or trolled, so be it. Life has a way of dealing with douchebags that do that. Don't let that ish get to you. It doesn't matter now anyway.

Hope all is well for you. :thumbsup:

Why thanks Falco .FOOTBALLtime in TENNESSEE soon , being as i live in fla. it has a more urgent appeal .

If I was a former SEC starting QB and needed cash, there's some damn good money to be made in the world of coaching these days. Given, the big-time money usually takes time to work up to, but he'd probably have the chops to do it. Even the guys that don't much care for the college kid stuff could work somewhere in the league.

It also requires 80-90 hour work weeks for years before you ever start making any real money.

Wtf are u all talking about?

Some people can't help themselves its in their DNA. I just ignore them. A lot of people were duped myself included. I love the Vols and have been a supporter longer than most of the people that can't let this go have been alive.

Soon lol. Soon the Gator loss streak will be over!

VN Store

Back