ESPN Dubs Tennessee Commit ‘NILionare Nico’

There have been some seriously good nicknames for Tennessee athletes in the past.

Let’s go down the list, shall we? Josh “AstroDobbs” Dobbs, “The Iceman” Casey Clausen, “The Sherriff” Peyton Manning, “The Minister of Defense” Reggie White, James “Little Man” Stewart, “The Volunteer Fireman” Ben Joyce, and, a personal favorite, Jack “Hacksaw” Reynolds.

ESPN Dubs Tennessee Commit 'NILionare Nico' in Recent Highlight Video | Rocky Top Insider
Wish I was a NILionare 😞

ESPN,The National Enquirer of tv sports.They cannot call a game,cannot give you news about sports events,but,they are tops at innuendo,and enquirer tidbits.A station that,for so many years was a go to sports channel,now,should be disregarded except for ballgames with the sound off.

In other words, they’re a news organization.

Still lots of valuable information to be had there if you take time to sort the chatter. Just standard signal ops techniques should do. Critical thinking is critical; some of what you hear, none of what you read, etc.

I agree on turning the commentary off. ESPN alt broadcast angle stream options are actually great for that too.

Generally, I’ll cue up several LPs over the course of a game. I’ve found that Wu-Tang albums sync up nicely and, of course, any Pink Floyd or Widespread live album.

In other words, they’re a news organization.

Still lots of valuable information to be had there if you take time to sort the chatter. Just standard signal ops techniques should do. Critical thinking is critical; some of what you hear, none of what you read, etc.

I agree on turning the commentary off. ESPN alt broadcast angle stream options are actually great for that too.

Generally, I’ll cue up several LPs over the course of a game. I’ve found that Wu-Tang albums sync up nicely and, of course, any Pink Floyd or Widespread live album.
I don't entirely agree with your first point (highlighted), KC.

News organizations, at least decent ones, report fact. They don't speculate. They don't gossip. They don't offer opinion. They don't dwell on drama.

ESPN does all those things. And regularly.

That makes them an entertainment enterprise, rather than a news organization. And not just sports entertainment, but social drama entertainment. ESPN fell in love with telling the human interest stories behind the athletes. And so now, they do more of that than actual sports reporting.

The one thing they most definitely are not is a news organization. Know what I mean?

I don't entirely agree with your first point (highlighted), KC.

News organizations, at least decent ones, report fact. They don't speculate. They don't gossip. They don't offer opinion. They don't dwell on drama.

ESPN does all those things. And regularly.

That makes them an entertainment enterprise, rather than a news organization. And not just sports entertainment, but social drama entertainment. ESPN fell in love with telling the human interest stories behind the athletes. And so now, they do more of that than actual sports reporting.

The one thing they most definitely are not is a news organization. Know what I mean?

I get you. Your point is fair, and we just disagree on the definition of news organization.

They’re all after pairs of eyeballs above all else. Facts are facts, and spin is spin.

There have been some seriously good nicknames for Tennessee athletes in the past.

Let’s go down the list, shall we? Josh “AstroDobbs” Dobbs, “The Iceman” Casey Clausen, “The Sherriff” Peyton Manning, “The Minister of Defense” Reggie White, James “Little Man” Stewart, “The Volunteer Fireman” Ben Joyce, and, a personal favorite, Jack “Hacksaw” Reynolds.

ESPN Dubs Tennessee Commit 'NILionare Nico' in Recent Highlight Video | Rocky Top Insider
I can’t believe that you left out Travis “Cheese” Henry.

VN Store

Back