ESPN rates SEC Quarterbacks

KBVol

SEC preseason position rankings: Quarterback - SEC Blog - ESPN

2. Tennessee: Junior Joshua Dobbs made tremendous strides during the second half of last season, when he finished the year 4-1. During that span, the Vols’ offense averaged 36.7 points and 431 yards per game. Like Prescott, Dobbs offers dual-threat ability; last year, he threw for 1,206 yards and nine touchdowns and ran for another 469 yards and eight TDs. Three freshmen will compete to be Dobbs’ backup.

Reactions: 6 people
With so many questions in the SEC at this position and his performance against SC UK and Iowa really make him an easy pick for the top of the league.

Just hope like everyone the line holds up enough. I think AK, Hurd and the group of receivers with the coaches scheming to the strength and way from trouble plays we will be productive.

I'll be honest-I'm a little surprised at all the love Dobbs is getting. I didn't really see THAT much from him last season. Granted, he was running for his life a good deal of time, but to suddenly be mentioned as a dark horse heisman-type guy seems a little premature. Like KB says, maybe some of it has to do with a lack of big time guys at the QB position this year.

Reactions: 3 people
With so many questions in the SEC at this position and his performance against SC UK and Iowa really make him an easy pick for the top of the league.

Just hope like everyone the line holds up enough. I think AK, Hurd and the group of receivers with the coaches scheming to the strength and way from trouble plays we will be productive.

I think his most impressive performance last year was vs Bama who had one of the most highly ranked defenses in the country.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll be honest-I'm a little surprised at all the love Dobbs is getting. I didn't really see THAT much from him last season. Granted, he was running for his life a good deal of time, but to suddenly be mentioned as a dark horse heisman-type guy seems a little premature. Like KB says, maybe some of it has to do with a lack of big time guys at the QB position this year.

I agree that he is over hyped. His good performances were mostly against weaker teams and the only strong team he played against was Missouri and he was underwhelming. The SC come back was very impressive, but they blew several games late to others.

I believe he will be improved with hopefully better blocking and healthy WRs, but the hype is not warranted at this time. The good news is he is probably the best in the SECE.

Combination of both. When he took control of the offense last year it took off. He showed great playmaking ability with both his legs and arm. Weakness remains his ability to accurately throw the ball down field outside the hashes on "go routes". If he improves that then he becomes the best QB in the league IMO. He's already a better, more dynamic runner than Prescott IMO, not just a 235lb battering ram.

I agree that he is over hyped. His good performances were mostly against weaker teams and the only strong team he played against was Missouri and he was underwhelming. The SC come back was very impressive, but they blew several games late to others.

I believe he will be improved with hopefully better blocking and healthy WRs, but the hype is not warranted at this time. The good news is he is probably the best in the SECE.

No probably to it, he IS the best QB in the SECe. And while the level of hype is probably a bit much, he still deserves a lot of it with how he performed last year vs Bama, vs SCar, vs Kentucky, how he persevered vs Mizzou and Vandy despite an completely overrun OL, and his dominate bowl game performance. Does he need to improve his deep throw accuracy, of course. But that's the final piece to him being a dominant SEC QB....he's already got the other parts down.

This is interesting mostly because Aschoff has switched Dobbs back to #2 above Auburn's Johnson. IIRC, he had switched Johnson to #2 and Dobbs to #3 a month or two ago. Now Josh is up again.

Makes me wonder what Aschoff saw in the past 4-8 weeks....

I agree that he is over hyped. His good performances were mostly against weaker teams and the only strong team he played against was Missouri and he was underwhelming.

You should definitely rewatch the 'Bama game. That is the first time people's jaws dropped at Josh's talent. And against a very good D.

South Carolina, Kentucky, and Iowa reaffirmed it (while Mizzou and Vandy detracted from it), but it all started with Bama.

Reactions: 1 person
What impresses me so much with Dobbs is how much he improved from frosh. to soph. season without actually playing the first half of the season. I think people expect more improvement, not to mention better play from OL and WR group. Remember our WR's were a MASH unit against Vandy. Therefore I think the hype is warranted.

He played well against Bama and Iowa as well. Two good defenses behind a young, shoddy (at best) O line. Mobile, hard-to-tackle, and confident in the pocket (which Worley did not have). I wouldnt say completely overhyped but I do need to see more from him, especially in passing accuracy.

What impresses me so much with Dobbs is how much he improved from frosh. to soph. season without actually playing the first half of the season. I think people expect more improvement, not to mention better play from OL and WR group. Remember our WR's were a MASH unit against Vandy. Therefore I think the hype is warranted.

I think that's fair, and definitely feel that's where a lot of the hope is coming from. But if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Vandy missing like 4 starters from their secondary or something crazy like that? I could totally be remembering this incorrectly.

Here is another article about the lack of quality QBs in the SEC.

SEC getting a pass when it comes to quarterback - SEC Blog - ESPN

Thought this was an interesting quote:

"Other than wishful thinking, the SEC has history on its side. Five of the final seven BCS titles were won by first-time starters, and the inaugural College Football Playoff featured two such quarterbacks: Sims for Alabama and Cardale Jones for Ohio State."

He's a winner. If the improvement of the offense with him running the show didn't impress you, well I don't know what will.

He proved last year that you have to beat him to really make our offense struggle. I'm pumped about this season.

Top 4 can't be argued with. Dobbs was obviously one of the best play-makers in the league at the QB spot and was miles better than a lot expected. 63%, did have a couple games he played "meh" in, but overall a very high ceiling to be found.

Mauk will always be overrated. Allen is probably a bit overrated even though he did make a lot of good improvement. Towles probably is correct. He simply struggled with routine plays and the two areas he depended on (OL and WR) hurt. Having better guys in front of him and downfield will help a ton. LSU and Bama will figure it out. But it shouldn't be shocking to see all those teams in the middle who have fantastic running backs. Those teams don't need an elite sec qb.

Vandy, UF, USCjr is at the bottom is accurate. Hope they all struggle like I expect them to.

Hope this kinda hype does not go to his head

I have to agree with this. While I really like JD and hope he has a Heisman type year and becomes all that we hope he can there were times last year he really struggled in the throw game. I watched the Vandy replay the other day and he really missed on several throws....and two I remember should have been picked off...I'm generally an optimist so let me say I think he'll have a fine year for the Vols but as far as precision on all his throws? well it'll have to be proved to me before I can feel 100% comfortable...

VN Store

Back