Favorite bass fishing techniques and lures

Volfan574

Just wondering what are some of your favorite baits/lures and fishing rigs? Currently mine are a shakey head and drop shot. I’ve done pretty good with a shakey head using a Zman finesse worm, Strike King finesse elaztech worm, Grandebass rattlesnake and the bigger sized ned Roboworm. For drop shot Yum sonar minnow and Roboworm 4.5 inch.

Reactions: Freak and jhcrane14
Shaky head is a favorite of mine, I love using a pumpkin seed lizard, or worm, with a chartreuse tail. Plastics are my favorite, but I do like shad raps as well.

Reactions: Volfan574
When I’m fishing water new to me and bass are my target, I’ll start with a 3/8 oz jig head and a pumpkin seed curly tail. It’s a versatile bait. If there are signs of top water action, explosive hits from below, I’ve a sentimental shad rap that’s my first casts.

I posted this to get some ideas from you guys. I’ve been fishing for only 3 years, started late in life. Now I’m getting a shad rap.
Don't have to be specific, but what area are you in, like where are you fishing?

Surgoinsville Holston river or Mooresburg ( just outside Rogersville) cherokee lake usually.

74B52906-E6FB-491C-BE96-DE0BDD66C744.png
Just started fishing here this year, been a few times. Have tried different lures fishing here and a Roboworm in oxblood color has caught me some here. Large and small mouth. Last time I was there a maintanence man that works there told me he has fished there for years and a white fluke jerkbait and watermelon red flake hellgrammite works better there than anything. I have a kayak but have just been bank fishing so far this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: malinoisvol
What technique do you use for a shad rap? Straight retrieve?
Yes, there's also a broke back one that's one of my favorites, I kinda work it like top water. We used to drive over to the Holston river to fish from Kentucky growing up, my dad still does occasionally. I still drive to Cherokee every year from Georgia and fish, so I'm more familiar with that one now. I envy you catching small mouth, haven't caught one in years, they're not around where I am in Georgia. Next time I talk with my dad I'll ask if has any tips for that area, cause he still goes occasionally. He has a good preacher friend in Rogersville,so he likes to go there

Now "favorite" will always be a topwater. There's just nothing like just doing your thing and then suddenly having a big savage blowup on your lure. Topwaters should come with a doctor's warning for those with a heart condition.

Now if I just have to get a bite (at least where I fish) I'll probably tie on a Senko or small underspin.

I’m going to get a plopper and popper to try. I have never had luck with a wacky rig senko, but I keep trying. Ive watched different YouTube videos on wacky rig but still can’t get a bite.

I’m going to get a plopper and popper to try. I have never had luck with a wacky rig senko, but I keep trying. Ive watched different YouTube videos on wacky rig but still can’t get a bite.
Same. I have friends who catch fish constantly on them, and so far I've been skunked

Now "favorite" will always be a topwater. There's just nothing like just doing your thing and then suddenly having a big savage blowup on your lure. Topwaters should come with a doctor's warning for those with a heart condition.

Now if I just have to get a bite (at least where I fish) I'll probably tie on a Senko or small underspin.

I do agree, nothing like a bass blowing up on something top water

Reactions: hndog609
Ploppers are great for covering water but you're limited if there's junk in the water. In that event try a buzzbait or frog.

I did the underspin and senko since (again where I fish) it's rare when neither one can't generate a bite. It's that they are very different so if one doesn't work the other might. Oh, and when I say underspin I do mean little...like a 2.8 keitech on a 1/8 head. If they aren't wanting a worm or little minnow I know it might be a tough day.

Yes, there's also a broke back one that's one of my favorites, I kinda work it like top water. We used to drive over to the Holston river to fish from Kentucky growing up, my dad still does occasionally. I still drive to Cherokee every year from Georgia and fish, so I'm more familiar with that one now. I envy you catching small mouth, haven't caught one in years, they're not around where I am in Georgia. Next time I talk with my dad I'll ask if has any tips for that area, cause he still goes occasionally. He has a good preacher friend in Rogersville,so he likes to go there
this is a quote that would've had potential if we were talkin bout mountains

Reactions: joevol33
in the South Fork (Hawkins County), try a purple rooster tail (gold blade) 1/8 oz if you can find one

If you're thinkin plastics in lieu of live bait, in that body of water or in Cherokee, "If it don't stink, go with pink"

I smallmouth fish mostly, so either a tube, small swimbait or ned rig are the go to. Occasionally crank bait as well.

I don't bass fish like I used too. Rarely anymore. But back in the day (90's) when I was single my buddy had a 12' jon boat and access to a ton of private ponds of varying sizes around the area. WE could drop that thing in anywhere. With our work schedules we'd both have full days off same time atlest twice a week. And spent most of it bass fishing.

My favoite rig I used prob 90% of the time was Zoom trick worms and finese worms (a smaller version of trick) on a weightless hook rigged weedless. Happy medium between texas rigging and top water. Jerking that through the water was deadly. Sometimes if there were 3 in the boat I'd just carry a pack of hooks and 3 packs of worms to save space. Mostly came back with only the hooks. depending on the pond, and activity we would typically range between 10 and 30 bass with two and up to 90 with 3 in the boat. Black and Pumkin Seed Chartruese were the two deadliest colors for us.

The only time I ran texas rig was in really deep areas, or late Feb when they started to bed. Ran some top water lures ocaasionally when it was right for it. Rest of time only trick worms.

Best Rods I ever laid my hands on for bass fishing were the old Browning Lew's offset reel rods, with either a shimano calcutta (Best ever IMO) or a Lew's speed reel.
1715176080235.png
1715176249712.png
1715176620790.png
And the Browning/Lew's offset speed stick. Quite possibly the finest rod ever. Got 4. Two offset, and two straight heavier for jigging and such. If yuo've never had the pleasure of your bait caster sitting down in an offset you've not lived as a fisherman. Especially when it's a speed stick. Mine are the tournament gold lettering I think. THis particular vintage model from probably the 90's/00's still going for over $100 on eBay.

30+years and still going without fail. The only two bait casters a man needs, and I've used a few.

These days it's all about trout fishing when I can go.

Last edited:
If you really want to deep end yourself there's some fun niche techniques our there. I've got more gear than I generally have use for tbh which has led me to fooling around with some more off the norm ways just to break things up a bit.

If you want to have fun I like BFS (bait finesse) fishing. Imagine spinning (down to some trout level stuff) but with baitcasting rods/reels. It's amusing anyway but some things, in particular topwater, just plain works better for me than with spinning gear. And when it's the right time and conditions a little popper gets eaten by everything. And by little my favorite is a Megabass Baby Pop-X which is 3/16th oz. That particular lure is pretty high end but everybody makes a small popper now since BFS has gotten pretty popular.

And if you really think you've just got more money than sense get into big swimbaits. Now you don't have to go crazy with full on custom baits (which can be ridiculous) but even a halfway serious swimbait guy won't even blink at $25 per lure and we haven't even gotten to the heavier rods, bigger reels, etc. You can target big bass though. The last really nice (over 6lb) bass I caught was on a DRT Tiny Klash.

And don't even get be started on fly fishing for bass...

If you really want to deep end yourself there's some fun niche techniques our there. I've got more gear than I generally have use for tbh which has led me to fooling around with some more off the norm ways just to break things up a bit.

If you want to have fun I like BFS (bait finesse) fishing. Imagine spinning (down to some trout level stuff) but with baitcasting rods/reels. It's amusing anyway but some things, in particular topwater, just plain works better for me than with spinning gear. And when it's the right time and conditions a little popper gets eaten by everything. And by little my favorite is a Megabass Baby Pop-X which is 3/16th oz. That particular lure is pretty high end but everybody makes a small popper now since BFS has gotten pretty popular.

And if you really think you've just got more money than sense get into big swimbaits. Now you don't have to go crazy with full on custom baits (which can be ridiculous) but even a halfway serious swimbait guy won't even blink at $25 per lure and we haven't even gotten to the heavier rods, bigger reels, etc. You can target big bass though. The last really nice (over 6lb) bass I caught was on a DRT Tiny Klash.

And don't even get be started on fly fishing for bass...
Not sure what that is, but if it's twitching weighltess trick and finesse worms about 12-18" deep, we were doing that 30 years ago. We did all that stuff on bait casters. Deep runner too, when we used them. As well as buzz baits and other top waters. Only threw spinner rods when we were ultra-lite fishing in hopes of hooking a big one. But snagging a hand sized crappy on an ultra lite while bass fishing is quite the fun as well. We stuffed alot in a 12' jon boat. 3-4 rods each. But, whittled the tackle down to where we were fishing to free up a little room. Typically a bottom rig, top bait, and medium runner tied on and on stand by. And trick worms in action. Which could easily be switched to the Zoom fluke. Prob 85% of my dormant tackle box is still Zoom, and only Zoom - Trick, Finesse, Or Fluke. And Gamakatsu #2 hooks.

Not sure what that is, but if it's twitching weighltess trick and finesse worms about 12-18" deep, we were doing that 30 years ago. We did all that stuff on bait casters. Deep runner too, when we used them. As well as buzz baits and other top waters. Only threw spinner rods when we were ultra-lite fishing in hopes of hooking a big one. But snagging a hand sized crappy on an ultra lite while bass fishing is quite the fun as well. We stuffed alot in a 12' jon boat. 3-4 rods each. But, whittled the tackle down to where we were fishing to free up a little room. Typically a bottom rig, top bait, and medium runner tied on and on stand by. And trick worms in action. Which could easily be switched to the Zoom fluke. Prob 85% of my dormant tackle box is still Zoom, and only Zoom - Trick, Finesse, Or Fluke. And Gamakatsu #2 hooks.
BFS is really just baitcasting gear designed for very light line/lures. One absolutely does not "need" to do so and can do the same thing with a spinning rod and light line. Maybe it's just a muscle memory thing but I am much better at "twitching" anything ( topwater walking bait for instance) with baitcasting than spinning gear. For topwater my favorite setup uses a 1 power (yes, 1, rated 2-8lb line) rod and a 3/16oz on 15lb braid to 6-8lb leader. Even a 2.5lber is real adventure.

I do love to throw me a weightless fluke.

VN Store

Back